Send Topic Print
Backfire eliminated. (Read 9 times)
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Backfire eliminated.
05/26/06 at 15:06:02

I was having a problem with a backfire when shifting from second to thrid, after doing upgrades. The source of the problem was leaks in the intake overtighted the gear clamp pinching the blastic boot, and the header bolts had backed out about half a turn. Quick fix, just a small blow to confidence. I would add that when you do your exhaust upgrade, check the header bolts. I suspect they backed out while I was convincing the slash cut to fit properly.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Re: Backfire eliminated.
Reply #1 - 05/26/06 at 15:28:41

I think I've got mine pretty much stopped now with the exception of the occasional pop when upshifting from 1st to 2nd, and that is more of a pop than a backfire.

After putting the new header gasket on and going through the series of torque-downs, I then put a little more torque on the muffler clamp and that seemed to seal the deal.  Now I'm running 1-1/2 turns out on the idle mix, the bike is in its happy zone and I'm happy too.

My thing, I'm still not certain as to what are "normal" pops and what are backfires on these bikes.  Grin

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #2 - 05/26/06 at 15:36:53

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I think I've got mine pretty much stopped now with the exception of the occasional pop when upshifting from 1st to 2nd, and that is more of a pop than a backfire.

After putting the new header gasket on and going through the series of torque-downs, I then put a little more torque on the muffler clamp and that seemed to seal the deal.  Now I'm running 1-1/2 turns out on the idle mix, the bike is in its happy zone and I'm happy too.

My thing, I'm still not certain as to what are "normal" pops and what are backfires on these bikes.  Grin

I've been riding for 30 years and have no idea, but I suspect that singularity of the system means that its just something to be lived with. Its the price you pay when a motorcycle is designed to meet government standards and not customer expectations. The bike is a basic motorcycle which I appericiate greatly. Its a joy to wrench on a bike that has all the parts ready and willing. With my last bike with 4 carbs and 4 cylinders and two coils you could chase faults for hours. Now you just have to follow the line from intake to exhaust. I have spent more time removing the tank decals than I did doing the white spacer mod.

No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 05/26/06 at 19:47:06

heavy thoughts - but so far as the exhaust bolts - it seems to take a couple shots at to full crush the gasket and until it is this seems to happen - or as you say doing battle to install a new muffler does it as well

IP Logged
Lion

Budapest, Hungary
Reply #4 - 05/27/06 at 11:47:05

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
or as you say doing battle to install a new muffler does it as well

I have the same problem: it still backfires after changing the main jet, white spacer mod, pod air filter, platinum spark plug. So you mean changing the muffler to a bigger flower one will stop backfiring?

'96 LS400 (
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #5 - 05/27/06 at 16:50:52

Lion wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I have the same problem: it still backfires after changing the main jet, white spacer mod, pod air filter, platinum spark plug. So you mean changing the muffler to a bigger flower one will stop backfiring?

Intake, fuel, spark and exhaust. If you up grade the fuel system, then you have to increase intake of air, better spark and  elimination of exhaust. My mods were K&N drop in, iridium plug, 1/3 spacer and a slash cut sportster muffler. My backfire was because I was leaking air coming in and exhaust coming out. It created a backfire when I accelerated from 2nd to 3rd. I regained a balance and the bike seems fine. I still sometimes get a very small fart when I shut down, but its usually after I have been  pulling hard on the throttle. Funny how you can suffer from lean and rich conditions with the same bike. Just last week I was crusing the long way home and had a little throtle fun, got my 2nd to 3rd backfire then when I pulled into the gargae and shut the bike off I got a little fart from the exhaust. Sounded like my wife blowing out a candle.

IP Logged
Lion

Budapest, Hungary
Reply #6 - 05/28/06 at 01:37:26

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Sounded like my wife blowing out a candle.

Wow man you are a poet in your soul!  Wink

'96 LS400 (
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 05:06:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfire eliminated.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.