Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
idle speed & choke relationship (Read 17 times)
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
idle speed & choke relationship
05/25/06 at 13:49:30

I started my ride after the lovely thunder storm had passes and pulled the choke out for the first part of the ride.  The bike died at the light within two blocks.  I thought well it is a little early to go to the reserve, but, I have been riding kinda hard.  The bike died again at the next stop sign.  I rode to the gas station and played with the idle screw until the idle got faster.  Pushed in the choke and the idle got really fast.  What's up with that?  What should I do now?

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
guitarsr4girls2
Ex Member

Re: idle speed & choke relationship
Reply #1 - 05/25/06 at 14:03:05

I don't have an answer for that, but strangely enough a similar thing happened to me when I was in the mountains. The bike was cold and started with the choke out, and died a few blocks away, then started with the choke out again, died, and then wouldn't start until I pushed the choke in.

Okay, maybe not real similar, but seems to me that our bikes might be related. Smiley

IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/25/06 at 14:11:06

The choke does just what it's name implies. Chokes the carb of air until the engine reaches a temperature that will support normal combustion. When the engine is at that temperature, it will run sluggish or die when the choke is engaged. In warmer weather try pulling it out half way til the engine starts to bog down a little, then push in all the way. When it's warm I hardly use mine at all or very briefly.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 05/25/06 at 14:22:02

The choke on the savage does not cut off air.  Very few modern carbs (well, at least motorcycle carbs) actually choke off the air.  Our choke is really a fuel enrichment circuit.  Cutting off air has the same effect as adding more fuel, effectively... it richens the mixture.  So engaging the choke adds more fuel, and speeds the idle a little.

As far as the sputtering and dying at idle goes, see how the bike runs on the "PRI" setting at the petc0ck.  If it runs better, your vacuum line may be messed up.

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 05/25/06 at 15:04:29

Riding with the choke pulled out is not a good idea. The idea of the choke is to get the engine up to normal combustion temps. The engine should not be under load until it is up to that normal operating temp. And never adjust the carb on a cold engine, especially if the choke is pulled out!

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/25/06 at 18:36:09

You mean with the choke pulled it does not close the throttle plate, cutting off air supply? That's the way my manual choke Jeep CJ5 works.
You're saying it dumps more fuel than usual?? How?? I'm intrigued. I haven't seen that covered here before. If it has I miised it and would like to know more. Could come in handy sometime.

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/25/06 at 19:04:01

the manuel says something about in warm weather you just pull it out to start and warm up and then close........

dont have alot of exp. but so far that has worked fine for me...have not touched the idle........

IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/25/06 at 21:07:27

Choke 15-20 seconds, a hair throttle while I'm pushing it in, release throttle, idle for 1 min. Ride away.

Below 60 degrees F. the times may lengthen a little.

That just me though. It's what i'm use to with small engines. Chainsaw. 5 sec full, 10 sec half, no choke.

Lawn mower, 10 sec choke

Leaf blower 5-10 seconds

hedge trimmer 10 seconds

Kev

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 05/25/06 at 22:09:08

Guido wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
You mean with the choke pulled it does not close the throttle plate, cutting off air supply? That's the way my manual choke Jeep CJ5 works.
You're saying it dumps more fuel than usual?? How?? I'm intrigued. I haven't seen that covered here before. If it has I miised it and would like to know more. Could come in handy sometime.

It opens up another jet passage we assume it is this one from gregs picture

and here's the theory... except for the last line - on the bs40 the choke will continue to feed fuel throttle or not

Next we visit the Choke, which Mikuni likes to call an enrichener starting system, but still stamp "Choke" on the lever, it is not a choke because it doesn't block off the throat of the carburetor to limit air intake and thus enrichen the mixture for starting. The starting system works by opening a passage that allow more fuel to pass through a different set of jets making the mixture richer. The starting system (choke) only works if the throttle is kept closed, if you give the carburetor any throttle with the starting system on it won't work.

IP Logged
Lion

Budapest, Hungary
Reply #9 - 05/25/06 at 23:51:20

Does anyone have a picture of the choke taken out of the carb?
I haven't removed it yet but I will have to because the knob always jumps back when I pull it out. Something may have worn inside it.

'96 LS400 (
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 05/26/06 at 03:43:32

When I start KLX I give her "choke" for about 30 seconds then switch it off. Tickover is set a little rich so the idle speed is more consistant as the engine warms up.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #11 - 05/30/06 at 08:19:42

Clearly, I've been leaving the choke out too long.  It was colder here before.  I needed it more.  Got up to 90 this week-end. Unusual for Wisconsin.

The bike did die right away yesterday when I started it.  May need to warm her up a bit more.  Probably don't have the idle just right yet.  My husband has fuel injection and he doesn't relate the whole warm up the bike thing.  I'll have to start mine earlier.

Thanks for such insightful anwers.  

Happy to have related bikes guitars4girls 2.  I'm a singer songwriter/guitar player and I used to live in Dallas.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
bikingb   IP Logged
goodandevil
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/30/06 at 22:45:40

Do not ride with the bike choked.  Only for warm up.

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #13 - 06/01/06 at 06:16:03

Got it.

bikingb   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 04:04:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › idle speed & choke relationship

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.