Send Topic Print
which sportster seat? (Read 6 times)
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
which sportster seat?
05/24/06 at 15:08:06

I've done a search on it.  Without much success.  I went by the harley shop yesterday and looked at their touring seat for the custom sportster.  Boy what a nice seat.  Looks a little too big.  I took my seat off to see if it would fit.  It might have if I hadn't gotten the backrest.

So,  please, for those of you that have a sportster seat that you love.  What style, what year, what model number.

Thanks

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: which sportster seat?
Reply #1 - 05/24/06 at 20:21:21

The one that people have been retrofitting to their Savages (and buying on Ebay)  is from a late model Sportster Custom.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 05/24/06 at 21:10:58

the one i bought on ebay was listed as "savage seat conversion" the guy sells them out of florida, he has a couple of types available. the one we chose is smooth leather with grab strap, it is a perfect length, (no extra holes in fenders). i have seen one in the harley shop last weekend that appeared to be identical, i didn't pay any attention to the sportster model, however i suspect dynobob is correct.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
olscout99
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/25/06 at 08:12:08

Azjay, is the sportster seat conversion worth the effort? I've been looking at it, it looks much better in my opinion but how does it compare 'posterior wise'?

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/25/06 at 09:27:54

olscout99 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Azjay, is the sportster seat conversion worth the effort? I've been looking at it, it looks much better in my opinion but how does it compare 'posterior wise'?

I'm wondering the same thing. I want to ride more than an hour before coming home with a sore butt so I'm looking into a better seat, longer & wider at the front so all my weight isn't on my tailbone. Are these good for a few painless hours? Thanks for any input.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #5 - 05/25/06 at 13:38:48

Last time, I got the gel suzuki seat, which I didn't think helped much.  i did the progressive shocks 412-4232 11" which did raise the back of the bike up 1/2 " so then I slid into the tank.  (I'm not sliding into the tank now.)  Then, I did the seat lift conversion.  Maybe I will get the shocks first this time.  It is hard for me to tell which mods really work and which mods I justified to myself that they really were worth it.  Know what I mean?

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
bikingb   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #6 - 05/26/06 at 08:00:28

IMO, the sportster seat is all that and more! when i rode the bike home the night we bought it, i thought "oh cr*p what a piece of sh*t" it handled bad, felt bad, sat bad, ran bad, the seat slid you into the tank, i was hating the 6 mile ride home. she sat on it, and gave me that "your an idiot" look Embarrassed, and told me she didn't like it Angry the seat and harley bars were the first mods i did, and they set the bike into a whole 'nother state of comfort. debby and i went on a 300 mile putt last weekend, 6 hours in the saddle(this bike is hers), and she had absolutely NO complaints with the seat and bars.  if i didn't do anything else to one of these ever, i would strongly reccomend the seat and bars.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
650-rider

Reply #7 - 05/26/06 at 08:44:17

Azjay - thanks for your insight regarding the Sportster seat, but I have a question please.  Which Sportster seat did you use?  When I look at Sportster seats (I have a 2002 Savage), I see them divided up pretty much pre- and post-2004 Sportster.  Which one might be best for the Savage?  I was thinking about a Sportster "Sundowner" seat, which is sort of a bucket seat, but I don't know what year Sportster seat would be the right one.

There is a conversion seat for Savage on eBay, and someone said that it is a Sportster seat - does anyone know what year Sportster it is for?

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #8 - 05/27/06 at 07:22:36

that conversion seat on ebay IS the one i bought, it does come with instructions to build the adapter brackets. in the ad, the guy shows two different models, we chose the smooth leather with grab strap, i do not know which year/model sportster it came from, only that it has "sportster since 1957" embroidered on the tail.

IP Logged
olscout99
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/27/06 at 08:58:43

Thanks for the answer on the Sportster seat.....now, which specific Harley bars did you use? I'm guessing there are a bunch of different ones of those too. Did you go shorter (more 'sportbike') or taller? Wider?

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #10 - 05/27/06 at 09:39:06

I have the Seat conversion from eBay on my 87, easy install, great directions and it feels good after 3 hours of riding. Bike also looks much better with it on.

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #11 - 05/27/06 at 20:58:41

olscout99 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Thanks for the answer on the Sportster seat.....now, which specific Harley bars did you use? I'm guessing there are a bunch of different ones of those too. Did you go shorter (more 'sportbike') or taller? Wider?

i am not sure what model the bars came from, i picked them out of a pile of used bars at one of my local harley shops. they are similar in shape and design as the suzuki bars, but slightly wider and flatter.

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #12 - 05/30/06 at 06:23:06

bikingb   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #13 - 05/30/06 at 07:38:34

yep, thats the one, he was quick to respond to emails, and had a couple different seat models to choose. i'm relatively certain, that he can give the year and model info.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 07:07:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › which sportster seat?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.