Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sporty muff with no jetting (Read 6 times)
HotCarl
Ex Member

Sporty muff with no jetting
05/18/06 at 14:17:53

I've read a bunch of threads and it seems like installing a sportster muffler without any other mods will make the engine run even more lean than it does now (I live in CA). The problem is I am going to install the muff myself (thanks mike Bobo), but I am going to have a shop do all the jetting and carb mods. So, I need to ride it on the interstate 5 or 6 miles to the shop with the new muffler, but no carb mods. Will this hurt my bike? (it's an '06 S40) Will my bike perform at interstate speeds like this? I really appreciate any advice.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Sporty muff with no jetting
Reply #1 - 05/18/06 at 14:52:27

Do not believe you wold hurt it for that short of trip. It's more of long term engine health thing. So far as interstate speeds - sure it will run that fast - have you had the stock bike out there before?

IP Logged
HotCarl
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/18/06 at 17:49:10

yeah, I have about 600 miles on it, and have taken on the interstate 6 or 7 times. So you think it shouldn't be a problem to ride it around like this for a short while?  

I love the bike, it's black and now that I took all the decals off it looks really clean and classy. I just can't wait to get a better sound and performance out of it.  Wink

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #3 - 05/18/06 at 17:51:44

Ride away. It will have no real effect inthe long run. What are your riding parameters??

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
HotCarl
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/18/06 at 17:54:54

My riding parameters? I'm not sure what you mean...

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #5 - 05/18/06 at 19:06:59

HotCarl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
My riding parameters? I'm not sure what you mean...

commuter or pleasure?? city, rural or highway??

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
HotCarl
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/18/06 at 19:26:38

hah, right on. I ride to school everyday and then to where ever I need to go. So I guess it's a commuter, but it's a pleasure everytime I ride it so.... I usually stay in the surface streets since I live in downtown San Diego, but I also take it on the freeway when I need to. I want to get the mods on it before I ride it on the interstate a lot.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #7 - 05/18/06 at 19:55:27

The Sportster muffler is the least free flowing of the muffler swaps (will lean it out the least). You'll be fine riding without a rejet for a bit. I wouldn't beat on it until it's rejetted though Grin If it were me, I'd ride easy until the rejet.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #8 - 05/18/06 at 22:00:28

HotCarl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Will this hurt my bike? (it's an '06 S40) Will my bike perform at interstate speeds like this? I really appreciate any advice.

Is your 12 months warranty expired yet. If not, I would not do anything to it until then Shockedyou will void your warranty ???

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
HotCarl
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/18/06 at 22:12:31

the entire warranty or just pertaining to the parts modified? If I rejet it and the electric starter fails, they would still have to cover that wouldn't they?

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 05/18/06 at 22:41:20

Chances are, being the warranty written not by mechanics with common sense, but by lawyers (nned I say more? Angry) the mod would void the warranty even for paint flaking off !!!  Shocked

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 05/19/06 at 00:39:44

Paint isn't covered. I tried. Nor are fork seals, brake consumables (including the caliper), shift linkage, tires, bulbs, inner tubes, rim liners (big rubber bands), cables, wiring, fuses, grips, mirrors, chrome.

I did get my muffler replaced under warranty, it rotted out a couple months post-new bike purchase.

My bike has been running a near open pipe, on stock jetting, for 7 years. The headpipe and muffler are a funny shade of purple now, but it runs fine. And gets stellar mileage (has gotten a high of 85 mpg on the freeway). Mine seems to be an exception though, most of the other bikes need jetted when the pipe is modified.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #12 - 05/19/06 at 00:50:41

I too am considering the Sportster Muffler mod for next year ... anybody have any specifics? Which Sporty Muff ... i.e. mounting tab, hole or slot? Preferred shims, clamps and heat shield? Recommended jet, size, etc.?
Danke.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:49:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sporty muff with no jetting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.