Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Rider question (Read 9 times)
WKD
Ex Member

New Rider question
05/17/06 at 14:51:47

This may seem a little strange but being a new (really new) rider and this is my first bike my ears are not really tuned to the engine sound of a bike yet and was wondering at what speeds one should shift for "normal" acceleration.  It's a 86 with the 4 speed and I am really enjoying the bike and riding in general.  I just took my rider training course last week so I am now taking some longer trips with more confidence Grin

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Re: New Rider question
Reply #1 - 05/17/06 at 16:12:45

I have a 5 speed but the rpm differences should be nominal. My owner's manual reads as follows...

For up-shifting

Gear Position

1st to 2nd....@....12mph/20kmh

2nd to 3rd....@....19mph/30kmh

3rd to 4th....@.....25mph/40kmh

4th to 5th....@.....31mph/50kmh

Down shifting

5th to 4th....@.....19mph/30kmh

With a 4 speed your road speed (mph/kmh) will be slightly higher I believe.

Hope it helps.

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 05/17/06 at 16:50:20

no offense, Steelwolf, but the owners manual is full of nuts.  I mean, who's going to upshift 4 times to get to 19 mph?  At that speed you're lugging the engine.  I'm really not sure why mfrs give those numbers since they are silly... Even my V* 1100 had stupid numbers.  I think they wanted me in 5th at 35?  There's no power in 5th until 80 mph!

I've got a 5 speed, too.  My shift patter is something like:

1-2:  10 mph -> 35 or 40
2-3:  20 mph -> 50/65
3-4:  30 mph -> 40/60 or higher
4-5: who cares, 5th is useless unless you're on the highway.

Pretty much shift when you fell like it or you think the bike is revving too high.  So the above shift pattern doesn't really make a lot of sense... Why?  I ride my savage two different ways: 1) fast 2) quiet (= slow).

Fast means revving it all the way up in each gear, so I'll upshift 1->2 at 35/40  for quiet (my savage is extremely loud) 1->2, 10 mph, 2->3 20 mph, sit in 3 and cruise at 25 mph or 3->4 at 30mph and cruise at 35, or 4->5 at 40 and cruise at 45 mph.  At those cruising speeds, the air cleaner is louder.

IP Logged
magicfairy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/17/06 at 18:28:45

Yep I find I shift about the same as Vroom1776. When I got my new S40 I thought the manual didn't make sense.

The shift patterns seem to bear no relationship with the other table showing max speed you should be going when running in (less than 800k on clock, 800-1600k ..then above)
I used that as my guide for running her in.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #4 - 05/17/06 at 18:34:14

the shift depends on your conditions. I do mostly city driving and and generally cruise in 3 gear. Highway riders are totally different.  In other words there is no set mph, just shift to treat your engine right.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #5 - 05/17/06 at 19:24:59

Thanks for catching the error Vroom. Actually the upshift would only be 4 times. The 5th to 4th is a down shift. I ment to seperate that one like in the book. So I fixed it.

He did ask for "normal" shifting. I don't shift by those numbers either, but without getting 300 posts about who shifts when and why. I thought maybe the owner's manual would be a general starting point to work from.

WWW   IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/08/06 at 08:49:26

I agree with the confusion of the manual. My Savage has the 140/90-15 tire on it, and in 5th gear, anything below about 42mph seems like it's lugging. It has tons of low-end, but I guess lugging even these engines is bad for them.

Whotta Cool Bike, though!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 06/08/06 at 09:50:05

I don't suppose anyone else noticed the question was about rule-of-thumb shift points for an 86 with a 4-speed.  The only responses I've seen with feedback on shift points was for a 5-speed.  Anyone with an older Savage want to chip in a decent rule of thumb for our new rider?  Unfortunately, mine's a 98 with a 5-speed, so I can't really help.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #8 - 06/08/06 at 10:26:08

My 96 (just under 10k miles) is also a 5 speed,
and I upshift at these speeds:
2nd at 20
3rd at 30
4th at 40
5th at 50
...or sometimes 55

for downshifting, ie. going around a corner,
I try to guage how much I have slowed down and
then give the shifter 1 or 2 clicks down.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #9 - 06/08/06 at 10:26:15

My 2 cents   Grin  My 87,  I wind her up a bit.....  Around town in trafic I never see 4th gear ... Better to wind her up than to lug her out...

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #10 - 06/08/06 at 10:30:48

depends on where I'am at and what time a day. sometimes get on it wind it up and go. sometimes not also depends on the mods. 87 here with amal mark II carb and jardine  Cheesy

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/08/06 at 12:49:46

Gotta put my two cents in  Cheesy
Try winding it up high in second gear or so. That will give you an idea of what's possible. Then, shift at 50% of that, for starters.

What you're trying to do is go high enough in one gear so that when  you shift,  you aren't lugging the engine in the next gear. It's no more complicated than that.

The good thing is, after a while, you'll be doing this instinctively, so relax and enjoy.

If you ride in the woods, your bike has neither speedometer or tachometer, so one starts with their ear, and soon gets a feel for it.

Happy trails!!! Mac

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 06/08/06 at 12:57:08

here are the shift points as explained by dave f on another forum  

1st - Shift up when the bike stops accelerating.  
2nd - shift up when the mirrors begin to buzz.  
3rd - shift up when bugs stop bouncing off your face and begin to splatter.  
4th - shift up when your mouth suddenly fills with air and begins to function as a air scoop.  
5th - shift up when you forget there is no sixth gear.  

the point here is this.  it truly is a feel thing. in the mom they give an aproximate range.  that's the beauty of this machine it's real forgiving on shift points.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/08/06 at 13:03:45

I go by feel and sound.  When it feels and sounds right, I shift.  Grin

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #14 - 06/08/06 at 18:46:12

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
....the point here is this.  it truly is a feel thing. in the mom they give an aproximate range.  that's the beauty of this machine it's real forgiving on shift points.

I agree except I would change "real forgiving" to "extremely forgiving."   The big single will pull smoothly from ridiculously low RPMs.  Someone posted in another thread about taking over the lead in one of these group bike ride things.  Afterwards was asked how many gears he had to drop to make the pass.  "ahhhh.....  None."

Speaking of longer trips.  Moved Thumper from the driveway to the garage in only four miles.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:33:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Rider question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.