Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
just put the crash bars on (Read 48 times)
guitarsr4girls2
Ex Member

just put the crash bars on
05/17/06 at 06:00:09

I leave for New Mexico tomorrow morning, so I put the crash bars on last night, and I'll be putting highway pegs and HD Roadking handle bars on tonight. Crash bars were a cinch, but they're pretty small and other than to put highway pegs on, I wouldn't recommend going through the trouble b/c it says on the packaging that they're for looks only, not to actually save your engine. Is that normal for crash bars, or is Suzuki just not concerned with such a small bike?

Anyway, I'm getting all pumped up about the trip. I'm thinking about putting new grips on tonight as well, but that will depend on whether or not I find the time. Oh, and I saw yesterday that one of the saddle bag mounting brackets isn't even bolted onto the bike, so hopefully I don't forget to fix that before I leave... New Mexico, here I come!

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Re: just put the crash bars on
Reply #1 - 05/17/06 at 06:29:01

Have Fun!! Ride Safe.  Don't go on any closed roads.  Take the detours.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 05/17/06 at 10:06:24

guitarsr4girls2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I leave for New Mexico tomorrow morning, so I put the crash bars on last night, and I'll be putting highway pegs and HD Roadking handle bars on tonight. Crash bars were a cinch, but they're pretty small and other than to put highway pegs on, I wouldn't recommend going through the trouble b/c it says on the packaging that they're for looks only, not to actually save your engine. Is that normal for crash bars, or is Suzuki just not concerned with such a small bike?

Anyway, I'm getting all pumped up about the trip. I'm thinking about putting new grips on tonight as well, but that will depend on whether or not I find the time. Oh, and I saw yesterday that one of the saddle bag mounting brackets isn't even bolted onto the bike, so hopefully I don't forget to fix that before I leave... New Mexico, here I come!

What part of New Mexico?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
guitarsr4girls2
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/17/06 at 10:12:22

going from dallas to white's city (near carlsbad) on thurs, then going on into cloudcroft on friday. excited much? why yes i am.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 05/17/06 at 13:49:07

IMO, the Wingerline highwaybar is much better than the cosmetic Suzuki "Engine Guard".

You're in the DFW area too, huh?  There are actually a handful of us in the area.  We all need to try to meet up sometime.

Have a great ride and take lots of pictures!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 05/17/06 at 14:49:17

no one makes an engien guard that actually protects the engine.  All are cosmetic.  If you do drop the bike, the engine guards/ gighway bars my protect some of the other chrome & painted bits, but it is likely the gurads will bend and will need to be replaced.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 05/17/06 at 16:01:49

guitarsr4girls2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
going from dallas to white's city (near carlsbad) on thurs, then going on into cloudcroft on friday. excited much? why yes i am.

I was born and raised in that around that area. You're gonna love it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/25/06 at 12:27:54

If the engine guard sacrifices itself but saves a sidecase (or more!) then it's done its job, as far as I'm concerned. I have a case saver on my XR - a derailed chain (happens dirt riding) will bunch up and take out a sidecase. My chain derailed, and it tore up the case saver. The case saver was $30. The sidecase is $200, plus it contains the clutch housing, and the engine cases need to be split in order to change it. So, if you don't do this stuff yourself, that would have been a $1000 bill.

So I may add them to our bike, for that reason.
Enjoy NM! Say hi to my ex out there in Santa Fe somewhere...

IP Logged
guitarsr4girls2
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/26/06 at 08:22:00

I have to say that when the guy brought out the crash bars for the savage, I laughed and winced at the same time, knowing I was about to lay down a bill for those mini-bars. Ha!

Though I didn't see the "cosmetic use only" warning until I had opened the package and was half way through installation (I had turned over the directions), it doesn't really make a difference to me since I'm only using them for pegs. I saw my dad's bike after an accident, and I figure crash bars are either hit or miss, considering his bent into his cylinders and the bike was totalled. But what can you do? I guess if it's your bike's time to go...

IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/26/06 at 17:15:04

Guitarsr4girls2,

I think they should be called drop or slide bars anyways, because thats when they should work.

How do they work with the highway pegs though? Are they wide enough to use?
Post a picture when/if you can. I almost bought them last week, until I realized I was on the bike and didn't feel like installing them on the side of the road.  8)

Kev

IP Logged
guitarsr4girls2
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/27/06 at 00:28:12

I will definitely post a picture tomorrow. With the small Suzuki bars on, the highway pegs are just a higher position to put your feet (and the fastest way to get your knees over the tank). I felt comfortable enough being able to lean back in to my duffle back and slouch, but they were mostly only good for having another way to make my butt uncomfortable. Smiley I probably would have been ticked off the whole way without them, but long term, I would have rather had a wider set on. I think Savage_Rob has a wider set on, and from the looks of it, I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be upgrading to eventually.

Urgency was my main reason for getting the Suzi's instead of the Wingerlines, but if the Suzi's are all you can find...I still suggest holding out and waiting for a mail ordered set. Keep in mind that I'm 6'0" though, so a shorter person may not feel the same way.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #11 - 05/27/06 at 06:50:29

debby is 5'6" and that was her biggest complaint last weekend, during our 300 mile trip, was no place to raise her feet to. highway pegs are not too far off, i just have to decide which ones i want to install.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #12 - 05/27/06 at 07:49:57

Like a rule, the crasdh bars protect the engine and a lot of other stuff, depending on the bike and on the crash .
The Savage is an exception. The crash bars are 99% looks, because the engine is so skinny, that the bike will hit every other part before You get to the engine. The exception is if there is a rock, or side walk, or some other object sticking out of the ground, exactly where the eng. case is.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 05/29/06 at 09:40:42

I like 'em more to keep some of the bike's weight off my leg in the event I lay her down.  The Wingerlines are wider and sturdier than the Suzuki versions.  If you combine that with hard bags in back, the effect can be even more beneficial.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #14 - 05/29/06 at 16:38:29

Hope these pics come through

suzuki crashbars with highway pegs  Wish I'd known about the wingerlines

http://bikepics.com/pictures/598386

http://bikepics.com/pictures/598392

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:32:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › just put the crash bars on

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.