Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Started The Carb Mod (Read 11 times)
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Started The Carb Mod
05/11/06 at 02:22:51

I got the cap off of the idel mixture screw and followed the directions in red2k1’s post,

Mid-Range Power & the White Spacer (Backfire)
We can also fatten up the low end of your bike's carburetor by turning out the low-speed mixture screw. To gain access to this screw, you'll need to drill out the brass plug pressed in over it and yank it out with a sheet-metal screw attached to a slide hammer. You'll find that plug up high on the right side of the carb about where the mouth enters the carburetor. Usually Suzuki applies a splash of white paint over the brass plug so that it's immediately noticeable. With the engine warmed up and idling, turn the mixture screw out incrementally until you achieve the highest idle. There will be no doubt in your mind that you're making progress because the idle will come up and sound stronger. At this point, turn the idle adjuster knob out and bring the idle back down to a leisurely gait.

but I didn’t get the expected result no matter how much I turned the mixture screw out the idle didn’t change.  So I took it back to its original position and started turning in, as expected the bike died (the original setting was 1 ¾ turns out from seated).  Should I be doing this differently, or is this an indication that I need to pull the carb and give it a cleaning?

SOMD

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Started The Carb Mod
Reply #1 - 05/11/06 at 04:07:09

Try some carb spray first to see if it will loosen up on its own.  It has been sitting like that for a while and may just need some coaxing.  
Keep in mind too that it may not be working because the pilot jet is too small.  You could also try going one size larger and see if it responds.  If there's no response after changing the pilot jet size then it needs cleaning.

IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/11/06 at 05:00:22

It looks like I'm gona be pullen the carb.  It don’t look like that hard of a job.  A couple of year’s age I procrastinated about doing the carbs on my boat and burned up a piston.  So lesson learned since their’s only one piston in this beast I’m pullen the carb.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 05/11/06 at 07:51:39

The pilot jet can be changed without pulling it if that's what you're doing next.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/11/06 at 09:11:42

I was figgeren to go over the whole carb after all it’s a 96 with 7500 miles, I’ll bet its spent some time sitten somewhare in its life and from the paint fade on the tank and fenders I’ll also bet that a lot of that sitten time was spent outside

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #5 - 05/11/06 at 09:51:59

Carb cleaner, Wurth saBesto is what I use mainly because my mate (who has a street fighter building business) stocks it.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/11/06 at 15:26:10

I usually get STP or CRC.

IP Logged
bacon13
YaBB Newbies

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 05/28/06 at 17:17:11

Hey all

I also started this mod. I also had the same results that SoMD did. My original setting was 3.5 turns from seated. I turned it 8 turns out and no change to idle. I turned it all the way in and it about died. I put it back to the original 3.5 turns out.

If I try carb cleaner, where do I spray it? Or maybe an idle mix adjustment will make no difference?

Also, how can the pilot jet be changed without removing the carb, the fuel tank looks to be in the way?

Apologies- hate to beat this mod to death.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #8 - 05/28/06 at 18:34:37

Did you idle or ride the bike prior to the mod?? If so how long?? Sounds like it was not up to engine temp when you made you carb adjustments.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
bacon13
YaBB Newbies

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 05/28/06 at 18:47:39

idled prior for 5 minutes or so. maybe not warm yet. will try a short ride and do it again.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #10 - 05/28/06 at 19:43:25

bacon13 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Also, how can the pilot jet be changed without removing the carb, the fuel tank looks to be in the way?

Apologies- hate to beat this mod to death.

Pilot jet is in the bottom of the carb. Remove the bowl.

WWW   IP Logged
Lion

Budapest, Hungary
Reply #11 - 05/29/06 at 11:43:37

It seems that I have the same problem too. Changed almost everything (take a look at my signature) except muffler (coming soon).
Pilot jet setting
 before changing it: 2 1/2 turns out
 after changing it: 2 1/4 turns out
So it is not a big difference in turns but it is a different bike now at gaining speed. Not to mention its sound...  Wink

I think I need to replace the idle jet with a bigger one but I am not very sure...

'96 LS400 (
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #12 - 05/29/06 at 15:58:05

bacon13 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
idled prior for 5 minutes or so. maybe not warm yet. will try a short ride and do it again.

How did that work out??

No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/29/06 at 17:41:52

make sure the choke (inrichener) is not on when making any adjustments

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #14 - 05/29/06 at 18:18:22

Keith_B wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
make sure the choke (inrichener) is not on when making any adjustments

Good call. A mistake in the making.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 04:45:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Started The Carb Mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.