Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is a s/40 right? (Read 6 times)
J_Stewart
Ex Member

Is a s/40 right?
05/07/06 at 19:52:48

I'm considering an s/40 for my first bike.  Several questions.

#1, I've heard that the first gear is very tall and requries riding the clutch as speeds less than 10 mph.

#2, I've heard that these bikes are not good at slow speeds and don't swerve well.

#3, I'm 5'11" and weigh 220lbs.  Is this bike too small?

I'm not looking for anything overly powerful.  I like simple, manuverable vehicles.  From what I've read, it seems the s/40 would fit the bill.

Thanks

IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Re: Is a s/40 right?
Reply #1 - 05/07/06 at 20:01:24

(1) First gear is not tall. I crawl off from a stop without applying throttle on a regular basis. Admittedly, that's on flat land only. Shifts normally feel comfortable in the 15 mph range.

(2) This is one of the most steady bikes for parking lot crawling you could ever imagine. Same for obstacle avoidance. Low center of gravity plus light weight makes for a maneuverable, confident mount at just about any speed.

(3) Personal choice. Your height might or might not be too much. I'm 6'3", and while I would like the pegs to be a bit farther forward or for the frame itself to be a bit longer, it's not really a big issue and I don't find myself griping about it too often. Mind you, my use of the bike is for commuting purposes, ~25 miles one-way. The engine will tote you around with aplomb, as it hauls me (165 lbs.) and my girlfriend (100 lbs.) around without complaint on a regular basis.

Simplicity? You got it. One lung, one carburetor (no synchronizing the carbs!) one spark plug, pushrod engine...it's hard to imagine a more simple design in such a modern, relatively reliable package.

Take an MSF Beginning RiderCourse and decide what you like and don't like about some of the bikes you ride in that class. They're often 250cc Honda Nighthawks, but my class had a number of Suzuki GZ-250s as well, which is also a single-cylinder Suz, albeit somewhat wider-looking. The frame build is much the same as the S40, from what I can tell by sitting on a few in dealerships.

Have fun, and be safe.

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #2 - 05/07/06 at 20:02:02

#1 I can ride in first @ idle but with any incline it will chug down. A little throttle will keep it running.

#2 Which bike is good @ slow speeds? Swerving is easier on a light bike BTW.

#3 Lots of the folks here are relatively sized. some find it comfy some find it a bit cramped.

WWW   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 05/07/06 at 20:05:06

As far as your source of information, well I wouldn't say he is ignorant, it's just that he knows a lot that aint so. As far as the Savage being too small, well you are near the borderline. You may find it a bit cramped for extended hours in the saddle.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 05/07/06 at 20:10:22

Banger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
One lung, one carburetor (no synchronizing the carbs!) one spark plug, pushrod engine=======

Not quite. There are no pushrods. It has an overhead cam.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/08/06 at 03:25:53

1st gear isn't tall at all. I've chugged away from a stop in second gear a few times by accident & didn't stall it & I weigh 245. Plenty of torque down low. Low speed manueverability; well I wouldn't mind having 5 degrees less fork rake, I like a quick steering bike but it is a light bike & as cruisers go it's about as nimble as they get. Size; I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam. For some that's not uncomfortable & for me it was fine for short rides, otherwise too small, but I "fixed" the seat & it's fine now.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #6 - 05/08/06 at 05:21:17

Slow speed manuverability has some to do with the bike, but it has more to do with the skill level you want to achieve in riding.  Practice and you can talk and walk with any ride.  When you watch someone do a lock to lock turn on any ride with feet on pegs it is awesome.  This bike is easy to manuver once you get the feel of it and do a few parking lot work outs. Wink I frequently make tight U turns in moderate to heavy traffic no problem.

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 05/08/06 at 05:52:41

I'm thinking your source may have the Savage confused with another MC.

#1 As others have pointed out, low speeds are fine with the savage (easy even).
#2 Compared to a sport tourer, the Savage is several orders of magnitude easier to manuever at low (parking lot) speeds. It turns practically on a dime, and weighs very little and it's weight is carried low (one of the few advantages of a small gas tank). One difficulty with any cruiser is the forward position of the foot pegs, they make it really tough to get out of the seat, or to shift load to the foot pegs while manuevering.
#3 Fit is a extremely subjective topic. I consider the Savage uncomfortable for long trips, but it does fine for shorter trips. If you are under/over average height you may end up doing some modifications to change the fit of almost any MC.

If you haven't taken a MSF course - take one. The course I took had a choice of standard, dual purpose and cruiser position MC's. I was able to ride all three types during the course, I liked the dual purpose riding position better, but my height dictated that a cruiser was a better starter MC.

Good luck with your choice.

J_Stewart wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I'm considering an s/40 for my first bike.  Several questions.

#1, I've heard that the first gear is very tall and requries riding the clutch as speeds less than 10 mph.

#2, I've heard that these bikes are not good at slow speeds and don't swerve well.

#3, I'm 5'11" and weigh 220lbs.  Is this bike too small?

I'm not looking for anything overly powerful.  I like simple, manuverable vehicles.  From what I've read, it seems the s/40 would fit the bill.

Thanks

IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #8 - 05/08/06 at 07:20:11

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Not quite. There are no pushrods. It has an overhead cam.

You are correct, sir. Methinks I had my lines crossed a bit. Anyway, the timing chain is pretty reliable by most manufacturer's standards. Old Hondas like my old CB500T were notorious for wearing out the cam chain followers or tensioner, in turn causing the engine to go wayyyy out of time or snap the chain altogether. It wasn't an easy fix, either.

Of all the simplicities of the S40, I'd say the belt drive is about the best one. Most m/c engines are pretty reliable, to the extent that most of us would use them, but not having a chain to worry about keeping lubed and tensioned is very nice, indeed. Check the belt tension once a month (and that's if you're overly cautious!) and ride on.

Of course, the downside is the expensive nature of the Suzuki belt, but seldom have I heard of anybody riding one enough to need replacement. And isn't there a Bando equivalent that's just one notch too big, which can be fit to the bike?

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 05/08/06 at 08:02:27

On the belt - it is a bando, $126.96 new from crotchrocket.com or if you keep watch one can be had on ebay for far less.

IP Logged
J_Stewart
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/08/06 at 08:46:58

I just took the MSF course.  We could't switch bikes and I was stuck on a dual sport.  I did pretty well and passed the test the highest in the class.  

What I liked was the torque to crawl in first gear with no throttle.  It helped me nail the "box" manuvers.  I was able to let out he clutch and crawl around.  

At first I hated the seating position, but got used to it at the end.  The main problem I had with that bike was that it was difficult to start, this is mostly because I had a hard time reaching the levers with my small hands.

Thanks for the advise, and any other help would be apprecited!

J

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 05/08/06 at 08:59:38

I have to agree with the previous replies.  On points #1 and #2, there is no issue.  Point #3 may be a problem but you'll really need to decide that for yourself by trying it out.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 05/08/06 at 09:41:47

guess I had not tried it before much - but just went up to the A&W for a rootbeer and a sandwich - along the way the '02 idled as much as possible on flat roads - something less than 5mph and with a slow release - yes you can take off without any throttle, those would all seem to be effected a great deal on where the idle rpm was set I would think.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #13 - 05/08/06 at 10:53:23

If you were riding a 250 or smaller in your MSF class, I think you'll find that the Savage has loads more torque making it easier (at least in my experience) to ride at low speed and starting out.

J_Stewart wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I just took the MSF course.  We could't switch bikes and I was stuck on a dual sport.  I did pretty well and passed the test the highest in the class.  

What I liked was the torque to crawl in first gear with no throttle.  It helped me nail the "box" manuvers.  I was able to let out he clutch and crawl around.  
J

IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/08/06 at 11:23:06

I'm 5'10/230 and I find the bike fits well - but the seat is too soft.

Slow-speed handling is a piece of cake on this bike - like a toy. I ride a Honda XR650R dual-sported - the S40 is far easier.

First gear isn't really tall. On the other hand, it's not short like that dual-sport bike, either. Dual-sport bikes need shorter gears for off-road adventures. My XR's first gear is far shorter than the S40's, and it's a bit tall for woods riding.

I got this bike for my wife  Wink but since she can't often ride to work, I figure it needs operating. Nice bike!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:34:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is a s/40 right?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.