Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Also need muffler advice (Read 1 times)
stock87
Ex Member

Also need muffler advice
05/07/06 at 18:32:08

Do I NEED to replace the jets in my carb or do anything else to a stock 87 savage if i replace the muffler with a sportster muffler

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: Also need muffler advice
Reply #1 - 05/07/06 at 18:56:22

stock87 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Do I NEED to replace the jets in my carb or do anything else to a stock 87 savage if i replace the muffler with a sportster muffler

Depends on how much you like the lean and backfiring engine. The solution to you dilema has been covered numerous times. Use the site search engine. I'm not trying to be mean but there is always a balance in the savage trilogy. If you free up the exhaust you have to free up the fuel and air intake. Hope that helps.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #2 - 05/07/06 at 18:56:37

I would say yes. By adding the sportster muffler you are in essance leaning out the gas/air mix of the bike. Being as the Savage is notoriously lean already (hence the backfire) You really should change the main jet to richen the mix compensating for the muffler at least. Search the site in the tech section. It will give a lot better details as to why and when to change jets. The procedure is a simple one if you can turn a screwdriver. The procedure as well has been very well documented here and there are also some pics of the jets, and other components to help along the way. I would say if you can change the spark plug, you can change the jets. Have fun getting to know your bike.

WWW   IP Logged
stock87
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/07/06 at 18:59:13

Ok thanks for the advice!  I think i will leave it stock unitl winter down time.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #4 - 05/07/06 at 19:20:11

If all you are worried about is down time have no fear. The rejet might, and I mean might take you an hour if you have one of those stubborn tanks with the clingy petc0ck. I did mine in 20 mins. As for the muffler, I had more trouble getting the stock one off than anything else I've done. Bugger was stuck on there good.

WWW   IP Logged
stock87
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/07/06 at 19:27:56

I am a little worried about taking everything apart   this was the first week in 6 years that the bike has seen something other then my garage  and she is running great. I have had the carb off and cleaned  all the gunk out of it.  so i dont wanna mess with something thats not broke.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #6 - 05/07/06 at 19:30:27

I understand.  Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #7 - 05/07/06 at 19:48:14

I also have an 87 and ran pretty good until I put on my Jardine muffler. Just a thing to keep in mind most of the people here have newer bikes and alot does not apply to the older bikes so your have to search alittle harder to find somethings. Grin 8)

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:06:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Also need muffler advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.