Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Picking up my 1993 Savage tomorrow! (Read 1 times)
Tomohawk
Ex Member

Picking up my 1993 Savage tomorrow!
05/07/06 at 18:05:35

Hi all,
I'm picking up my newly purchased 1993 Savage from the bike shop tomorrow. Smiley It has 24,000 kms on the clock. I'm gonna try change the plug for a new NKG DPR8Ea-9, and put new SAE 10W40 oil in the engine for starters. I was wondering what filters should I replace too at the same time when doing this road ready checkup. What model K&N air filter? should I get please? Gonna put 29psi and 33psi in the front and back tires. I think the bike has been sat up in the shop in Dublin for a year or so before being imported from Germany. Any other advice guys?

Thanks, Tomohawk, Dublin.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: Picking up my 1993 Savage tomorrow!
Reply #1 - 05/07/06 at 18:18:25

Tomohawk wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Hi all,
I'm picking up my newly purchased 1993 Savage from the bike shop tomorrow. Smiley It has 24,000 kms on the clock. I'm gonna try change the plug for a new NKG DPR8Ea-9, and put new SAE 10W40 oil in the engine for starters. I was wondering what filters should I replace too at the same time when doing this road ready checkup. What model K&N air filter? should I get please? Gonna put 29psi and 33psi in the front and back tires. I think the bike has been sat up in the shop in Dublin for a year or so before being imported from Germany. Any other advice guys?

Thanks, Tomohawk, Dublin.

On dennis kirk the oil filter part number is 301700.

the K&N part number is 304028.

The current thought on oil is non detergent for clutchlife.

I'd get a new battery and read up on the carb and exhaust mods if you get backfires. It will extend engine life. Hope that helps.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 05/07/06 at 20:33:45

Where did you get the information that non-detergent oil is needed for longer clutch life?? the manuals (owners and shop) all call for a modern detergent oil. The only precaution I've noted that may have some validity is the one for ultra modern gas engine only car oil. It's anti scuff additives may , again I say may, cause some concerns. Use one rated for both S (spark ignition and C-ompression igntiion engines and you should be OK. There actually is a Japanese standard that is recommended. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
ohiokid
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/07/06 at 20:48:54

congrats on the thumper !!!!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 05/08/06 at 08:41:59

Congratulations!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Tomohawk
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/08/06 at 10:40:39

Things didn't go to plan as it rained all day today here in Dublin city on my day off work. Bah! I will have to wait another week before I can collect the mighty Savage.  :'(

Quote:
On dennis kirk the oil filter part number is 301700.

the K&N part number is 304028.

So I presume I need to get a separate Air filter and an Oil filter yeah? I've a week to think about other things I need to do to get the bike rolling safely out of the shop and on the road. Then it's straight home and get it into my garage for a basic service! What else should I look into on this old bike?

IP Logged
Don Steel
YaBB Newbies

East Yorkshire, Great Britain
Reply #6 - 05/09/06 at 11:21:50

Have a quick look at the brake pads for thickness and the drive belt for tension.
You should be able to twist it to 90 degrees in the middle of it if you grab it and twist between your fingers.

Good move on the bike and welcome!! 8)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 05/09/06 at 13:09:08

Don Steel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Have a quick look at the brake pads for thickness and the drive belt for tension.
You should be able to twist it to 90 degrees in the middle of it if you grab it and twist between your fingers.

Good move on the bike and welcome!! 8)

The middle of the bottom part of the belt.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 13:39:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Picking up my 1993 Savage tomorrow!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.