Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ignitor (Read 7 times)
Majstor
Ex Member

Ignitor
04/12/06 at 07:47:11

My mechanic told me that ignitor failed the test and is the possible reason for starting problems ($300 to replace).
However, found in manual that need special suzuki tester to get appropriate readings. I still have sparks out of the spark plug and my original understanding was that I need ignitor to get a spark.
Some of you already replaced ignitor. Is it because of starting problems and is it possible to have sparks with failed ignitor?
Thanks

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Ignitor
Reply #1 - 04/12/06 at 13:24:37

I know only about 2 people chaning theit ignitor. One of them said, there was a water damage and the other said the board inside was cracked.
I don't know what test did Your mechanic do, but usualy the way You check the ignitor is- You check everything else and if everything checks good, Youi replace the ignitor.
You never described what are the simptoms- Is the bike cranking, Is there a spark, Is there a compression, how did it happen?

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Majstor
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/12/06 at 13:52:10

Well, couldn't start motor, cranking was fine, played/adjusted de-comp cable - solenoid pul cable from time to time (however found that spring next to the low end of cable is very loose - don't know if that is a problem and if yes how to fix it). Opened/starter (brushes aprox, 11mm-ok) had sparks but looked very, very weak, replaced spark plug - same thing, cleaned ground wire - no change.
Anyway, run out of time and took it to mechanic... he told me that ignitor failed his test - new one $400 plus 3-4 weeks of waiting (backorder)... for  some reason I thought that would not have spark if ignitor was broken??? Bike still starts from time to time but very, very rough.... Took my bike back and now looking at eBay to get one cheaper/faster. Any suggestions while I wait??
Thanks

IP Logged
Majstor
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/12/06 at 14:32:07

Upsss... forgot to write that my first step was to check fuel flow (carb bottom cup filled with fuel everytime start button was pushed). Took carb apart (my 4th time in last 2 months) - all jets were clean and rubber thingy was moving nicely up-down. Steps from my previous writing continued after fuel/carb steps...... Wow... looking back what I did.... I am very impressed since my motorcycle fixing knowladge (mostly got from this site) is only a few months old.
Cheers

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 04/12/06 at 14:51:33

if you decide to go with a new ignitor, you may want to check out ebay for a parted out savage, or check out this site and email the dude... He's rock solid:

metricmagic.com

IP Logged
Majstor
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/12/06 at 17:52:55

Hmmm... I can't sit and wait for the new igintor.
Found old thread (by slavy) about the voltage measurements: after check found that battery voltage is 12.7V when off, and 12V when key in ON position.
However, with key in ON position at O/W wire of CDI box measured only 11.3V (could not found O/W wire at ign. coil).
Is this 0.7V loss in wires normal or means that I have problem somewhere???
Thanks

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 04/12/06 at 17:54:33

I once had a GS550 that the igniter was going out. It displayed the same symptoms you are speaking of. It would fire up every once in a while and then run very roughly, finally it wouldn't fire up at all. I never did get it repaired because i didn't have 300 plus dollars to spend on a new igniter.

Sold it to the mechanic that was working on it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 04/13/06 at 11:54:00

Majstor wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Hmmm... I can't sit and wait for the new igintor.
Found old thread (by slavy) about the voltage measurements: after check found that battery voltage is 12.7V when off, and 12V when key in ON position.
However, with key in ON position at O/W wire of CDI box measured only 11.3V (could not found O/W wire at ign. coil).
Is this 0.7V loss in wires normal or means that I have problem somewhere???
Thanks

- i'll try to check on the cdi box lVoltage later today  

by the way there are 2 cdi's on ebay now a clean on for $95 (new model) and not so clean $50 (old model)

IP Logged
Majstor
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/13/06 at 13:30:26

Thanks Reelthing,
yes, there were 3 CDI's on ebay this morning and I ordered one for $95 from A1 motorcycle electronics (turbofield). Hopefully that will solve my problems....
I am still puzzled why I am loosing V and have plan to check all wiring (and V's) while wait..... Also saw old thread  (from Derek) that solved CDI problem by opening and fixing it... hmmm.... playtime!!!
Do you know what is the minimum V for a good spark at ignition coil???
Also what/where is pick-up coil - is that magneto or alternator windings or is under same cover??
Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 05:04:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ignitor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.