Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
decompression solinoid (Read 3 times)
newguy

decompression solinoid
04/10/06 at 12:50:07

Im new to motorcycles and wanting someone to explain to me what the decompression solinoid does and how it can have an effect on starting the bike.  Lamen terms please I'd rather you talk to me like a child than over my head. Thanks  Also is there any tests I can do to make sure it is working properly or even at all?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: decompression solinoid
Reply #1 - 04/10/06 at 13:02:24

basically it's a valve that helps starting.  When the piston is at a certain position (TDC, I think) the solenoid is energized which moves a little lever and opens a valve, allowing any compressed air to escape, then the engien goes thru its normal cycle.  At lesat that's my understanding.

See the teck section... I think there's a Decomp. Sol. thread in there.  nope.

Do a search on "decompression" and set the days to look back for 5000 or soemthing large...

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: decompression solinoid
Reply #2 - 04/10/06 at 16:20:59

From my reading of the Suzuki shop manual and watching the solenoild when the tank is off. One the starter button is pushed, a sequence of events takes place, first the decompresser solenoid is energized, slightly lifting the exhaust valves off their seat(if closed if open prevents them from full clsoing). The starter motor is then engerized and after preset time the decompressor is deactivated. This allows the engine to start spinning w/o compression or low compression until the flywheel effect has taken place. This allows them to use a smaller starter motor and battery to get the job done. I can tell you from experience when the solenoid doesn't work, the battery has to be fully charged to crank the engine and no-starts are a regular occurance. The 87 my B-i-L got had a dirty plunger in the solenoid and we had to clean it out and adjust it so it would start easily every time.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 02:49:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › decompression solinoid

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.