Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"custom seat conversion" (Read 23 times)
russ_g
Ex Member

"custom seat conversion"
04/07/06 at 17:25:37

Has anyone seen this?  Anyone install one?  Trust you guys on here way more than some Joe on E-pay

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CUSTOM-SEAT-CONVERSION-SUZUKI-SAVAGE-LS650-S40_W0QQitemZ46...

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: "custom seat conversion"
Reply #1 - 04/07/06 at 19:45:41

somebody just finished one of those installs from the same folks maybe - I'll search around

found it sounds like you need to fab a few things for a fit

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
russ_g
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/07/06 at 19:49:51

There's a few negative feed backs for the seller.  two related to muffler and one directly at the seat saying it would not fit.  Sent the negative sender for the seat fead back an email - will see what he has to say.  Looks ok on the bike.  Not sure if it would be any better than stock though.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 04/07/06 at 19:52:51

looks like it doesn't fit with out some amount of fab'ing

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/09/06 at 14:21:50

i put it on my bike. definatly needs some fab, but if your handy then its not too tough.  I'm guessing the guy who bought it and gave him negative was thinking it was an easy bolt on.

IP Logged
russ_g
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/09/06 at 15:00:21

This is from the guy who gave neg. feedback:

Hi there,
The seat is nice but made for a HD Sportster 883 or 1200 and not for the Suzuki LS650 Savage. It doesn't fit even with the explenation of the seller. It's really bad, but it just doesn't fit.

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/09/06 at 18:37:26

on the sellers behalf he cleary states it needs modification, meaning you need to alter the seat to make it work on this bike.  Which is what i had to do and azjay who bought one after asking me some questions about mine.  His install worked out awesome and looks even better than my install.

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/09/06 at 18:38:46

here is a post about azjay's install:

Sportster Seat Conversion

IP Logged
russ_g
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/09/06 at 20:10:54

Azjay says he built the brackets himself.  The seller on epay says it comes with the brackets.  My question was really relating to the install process and how the seller had done up instructions etc.  Maybe Azjay should sell his instructions Smiley

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/10/06 at 05:45:00

a decent set of instructions would make a great tech section thread.  azjay seemed to install better than i did so maybe he could assist in that, ill ask him.

When i received mine i got no brackets from the seller, but he gave me a packet of about three pages of instructions, maybe i can scan them in so you can see what he gave me.  The instructions weren't bad and they definatly pointed me in the right direction.

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/10/06 at 05:47:04

ps: when i bought the seat it was in a box, i'm assuming from the ebayer's wholesaler or what not.  the seat was used, and had two small tears underneath but in overall excellent condition.  I wish i saved the box so i could just have you guys get the seat right from the top dog.  Ive also bought a headlight from this seller that worked out very well.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #11 - 04/11/06 at 13:34:29

as mentioned, this seat is from the same ebay "custom seat conversion" it IS a harley sportster seat, it has "SPORTSTER since 1957" engraved on the tail, and the harley shield stamped on the pan and brackets. it is not a bolt on, this is a simple and worthwhile modification. last night, i took debby's seat off, and shot 11 pictures of my install. i will try to post a few of them here:

the center seat bracket, attatches to the harley seat, and picks up the suzuki frame mounts.

the bracket attatches to the harley seat with 4 stainless screws, and a 1/4x20 bolt. the wings on the bracket are drilled and tapped for 1/4x20 bolts, and bent, to line up on the suzuki seat mount brackets.

the front mount is a simple channel pocket, welded to a piece of strap, and drilled to pick up the suzuki tank mount bolts, i even used the suzuki bolts!

the harley rear bolt takes up the suzuki tailight wire hole, so the wire runs on top of the fender now, and a slight cut to suzuki taillight, so that it clears the harley seat mount.

and the final results are quite acceptable

i struggled with getting a host for the pics, that didn't distort them too badly, i hope they are clear enough to be useful. if somebody knows about a good, FREE host, please feel free to share with the rest of us.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #12 - 04/11/06 at 17:37:16

azjay, approx. how long start to finish?

WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #13 - 04/12/06 at 03:07:32

Azjay, thanks for the pictures. Makes it clear to me (us)

I use http://www.imageshack.us. for picture hosting, so far no complains and it is FREE.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #14 - 04/12/06 at 09:28:50

from concept to finish was probably 4-6 hours, a lot less time than it took me to get the pics to stay online Tongue

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:19:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "custom seat conversion"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.