Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another starting issue... (Read 1 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Another starting issue...
04/02/06 at 21:07:47

There seems to be a "starting virus" going around, think it has to do with the chickens?  That bird flue is a potentially nasty thing.
Anyway, these are the simptoms:
-when the starter button is pushed the auto decompression is activated...I can hear that happen
-other than that there is silence.
-nothing at all from the starter, there is no power  arriving at the starter

I am thinking starter solenoid but cannot check it right now.  I have 3 meters but could only find one today...and that one had a dead battery.

I did try a momentary cross between the 2 big terminal and got a good spark but nothing else happened.

Am I going in the right direction here?

IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Re: Another starting issue...
Reply #1 - 04/02/06 at 22:07:49

may be a dumb question, but you did check your two fuses right?
And yes the bikes are very suseptable to the HN57 avian virus.

Kev

IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/02/06 at 22:14:34

One of the fuses appears to be solely for the starter and regulator. May want to plug and unplug that one. Also if your starter is ok, it appears to get input from the decompression controller @ least on 96 and newer. just some ideas good luck.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 04/03/06 at 01:57:16

A similar thing happened to me. Thought the battery was flat. Took the seat off and disconnect the battery -terminal, then i found that the + terminal was LOOSE. Reconnected the battery and presto, all Oke.

Moral of the story: When trouble shooting, start at the beginning of the circuit. Works for me all the time.
(Knock on wood)

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 04/03/06 at 08:46:46

I am not sure I got it right, but the way I understend is : You jump directly the 2 big terminals of the starter solenoid and - NOTHING, exept spark.
If this is correct, don't look for problem in the starter solenoid- You by-passed it. The trouble is after the solenoid. Seems like a starter problem. I assume the bike is not hydro locked.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 04/03/06 at 10:56:45

The battery is constantly on a charger so it is good to go.

The cables are in good shape.

The fuses are OK.

Hydro lock?  What is??

I had the starter out...teeth are great...everything turns freely...have NOT taken the starter apart yet.

Is the connection from the decomp to the starter  so that the starter will not engage until it is verified that the decomp has done its' job?

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #6 - 04/03/06 at 11:10:07

jim-r had the same problem awhile ago,try to start it by disengageing the clutch,then roll the bike backwards,then let  the clutch out,then try to start it like normal. we replaced the clutch switch it works good now.

his would make a tic sound and nothing more

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/03/06 at 13:37:33

yeah i would definitely get a new clutch sensor switch.  As soon as we got the new one in it starts so much easier.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 04/03/06 at 14:58:23

THANKS GUYS, I WILL GIVE IT TRY TOMORROW.
SEVER THINDERSTORMS AND TORNADO WATCH RIGHT NOW... NEED TO DO A LITTLE WEATHER PREP.........THE NEWS JUST REPORTED THAT THE SEVERE WEATHER WILL CONTINUE INTO THE EVENING.

LATER

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #9 - 04/03/06 at 23:25:28

According to the Clymer's electrical schematic, the starter won't get juice until the starter relay kick in. And also if you  hear the decompression solenoid working, it means that the decompression controller got the juice from clutch lever position switch and pass it on to decompression solenoid and to starter relay which in turn will give a direct juice from the battery to the starter. It seem that all the negative is coming from the bike's frame which connected to the - terminal of the battery. I would check on that negative connection. Hope it will help killing the Starter Virus  Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 04/04/06 at 04:26:09

SO YOU ARE SAYING THAT YOU THINK THE NEGATIVE GROUND CABLE COULD BE THE PROBLEM?

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
According to the Clymer's electrical schematic, the starter won't get juice until the starter relay kick in. And also if you  hear the decompression solenoid working, it means that the decompression controller got the juice from clutch lever position switch and pass it on to decompression solenoid and to starter relay which in turn will give a direct juice from the battery to the starter. It seem that all the negative is coming from the bike's frame which connected to the - terminal of the battery. I would check on that negative connection. Hope it will help killing the Starter Virus  Grin

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #11 - 04/04/06 at 05:06:29

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
And also if you  hear the decompression solenoid working, it means that the decompression controller got the juice from clutch lever position switch and pass it on to decompression solenoid and to starter relay?? which in turn will give a direct juice from the battery to the starter.   Grin

The decompression controller has 2 relais and 2 timers ( as written in the Suzuki WSM) So it is possible that the decomp. get juice but NOT the starter relay. In this case I would suspect a faulty decomp. controller.

Accoording the Suzuki WSM  the yellow/brown wire (terminal 4) going to the starter relay is energized 0,2 second after the decomp. sol.  

As from the remark that the negative is comming from the frame; the thin wire from the - of the battery has a connector approx. 8 inches from said terminal. inspect and clean that.

Keep us posted
Greetz
Kropatchek Cheesy

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/15/24 at 05:18:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another starting issue...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.