Send Topic Print
Peanut Tank - UPDATED (Read 28 times)
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Peanut Tank - UPDATED
04/01/06 at 14:10:24

Well, I'm going to make an attempt at fitting a peanut tank.  I won one on ebay and it just came in.  Flat bottom with 4 mounting bolts sticking from the bottom.  I don't think it's going to be too much trouble to mount it to the bike, really.  Manufacture a plate that it will rest on and bolt to, use that to attach to the existing mounting location near the seat, and bracket the bottom of the plate to the frame.  I'm quite looking forward to actually getting it on the bike.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Re: Peanut Tank
Reply #1 - 04/01/06 at 17:22:17

Good luck with the project and keep us updated with pics.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #2 - 04/01/06 at 17:25:35

What kind of finish is on the tank??

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #3 - 04/01/06 at 19:19:24

clueless wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
What kind of finish is on the tank??

I'm not entirely sure.  That's how it came.  About all I know is that it's a pain in the neck to sand (has to be repainted...it's pretty scratched up and chipped).  It's sort of a sparkly, shiny granite sort of look to it.  Pretty cool.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 04/01/06 at 22:13:49

Watch out for the fuel tap. I need to relocate the outlet on my tank, the tap hits the top of the motor. And the tank is a LOT smaller than the one you plan to run. So is the fuel tap (Honda Hawk, go figure...CM400T, 16mm coarse thread).

I tried a 2.8 gallon XL tank on my 98. Didn't fit.  Angry
Tried a 60s BSA tank. Didn't fit.  Angry
Tried  CB450/650/750 tanks. Didn't fit.  Angry

The whatever it is from donor tank will work perfctly as soon as I move the outlet to the left rear corner.  Tongue And make a rear mounting tab.  Tongue That incorporates the solo seat front pivot... Tongue

I'm starting to hate choppers...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 04/02/06 at 04:32:48

Those peanut Sportster tanks have a classic look that would really suit the Savage/S40 ... best of luck with the mods ... and please keep us posted with up-dates!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #6 - 04/02/06 at 14:03:03

Well, I have the tank half painted and ready.  And a quick mockup (minus the seat).  I got it all painted and striped.  And then the clear coat somehow screwed it all up.  So I'll be working on getting that cleared up.  I'm also going to have to do a little cleanup on the stuff showing from where the tank used to be.  I keeping with the minimalist theme...it's not going to be much.  So here it is...minus the seat (imagine a white version of Sluggo's)

SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Re: Peanut Tank - UPDATED
Reply #7 - 04/03/06 at 06:18:38

Wow - that has serious potential - Please keep us updated!  It's going to be b!tchen...what was the tank donor?

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #8 - 04/03/06 at 12:16:47

SeeAPierce wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Wwhat was the tank donor?

Thanks for the comments!

I'm pretty sure it's a custom tank.  It's not quite perfectly symmetrical, and the mounting bolts coming from the bottom are not quite perfectly spaced.  That being said, it's close enough that no one will notice if it's not pointed out to them.  I found it on ebay for a good price, so I don't even know what it was on before I got ahold of it.  It's fiberglass, and judging from the gas cap I would hazard a date guess at the late 70s or early 80s?  But I'm no expert in such things.

All that being said, everything miraculously lines up perfectly on the Savage.  I don't think I could have designed a peanut tank to work better...partially because I would have no idea how to design a peanut tank!

I just heard back from Lancer about cables, so hopefully I'll be able to get the apehangers on it soon!  Thanks, Lancer!

And of course, I have the new tail light sitting at home on my kitchen table, waiting for me to mount.

WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 04/03/06 at 23:21:51

Fiberglass with four mounting holes? Probably an old AEE or similar for Triumph, BSA, Norton or CB350/450 parallel twins. Nice find, the actual steel HD tanks are a bit too long.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/15/24 at 03:24:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Peanut Tank - UPDATED

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!