Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Running hot? Semi-low compression? (Read 10 times)
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Running hot? Semi-low compression?
04/01/06 at 13:44:04

How would I know? So I have the timing chain in woohoo, valves adjusted, back together. Sounds good, after a thirty or so mile cruize, when I come to a stop from say 45 mph. She seems to be pretty hot and I had a little oil leaking at my rocker cover gaskets. Ok no big deal so I replaced the o-rings on the  rocker arm covers and made sure I didn't over tighten them. Test drove, running good, still a little oil leaking at the covers. no where else.
I checked my compression (147 psi) Definately on the low end, but could that signify a serious problem (ie like a hole in the piston) or is that more likely a ring or valve issue? She doesn't smoke at start-up or anytime for that matter.
One more thing, anyone ever dip a thermometer in the oil to see what a good running temp. is?

Thanks, as always I appreciate the responses, you guys are the $%&!. And I looking forward to meeting and riding with some of you!

Kevin

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Running hot? Semi-low compression?
Reply #1 - 04/01/06 at 17:17:29

I would think if you had a hole in the pistion you would have much lower compresion than 147psi - more likely wear on the valves/rings/cylinder.

on the temp - i keep a screw in gauge in place of the filler plug on the '95 at all times - it's normal range is 80c-100c, above that and I'll park it for awhile, like after heavy traffic in the summer. this measures the air temp above the oil so the actual oil temp can be as much as 40f hotter and use sync oil that runs a little cooler and has a higher break down temp. The '02 runs about 10c hotter than the '95 - but dosn't have many miles on it and may not be jetted correct yet.

you've likely posted it and i have not read it yet - but how is this bike jetted?

IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/01/06 at 17:51:51

I didn't post it yet. Unsure. The spacer mod had been done before I got the bike so I don't know the jets. But I have a 152.5 and a 55 pilot en route. I have a 883/1200 muffler sitting until the jets get here and I'm just replacing the stock airfilter with a k&n stock. More flow but I want to keep the box. Will the mods raise or lower the temp do you think?

IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/01/06 at 17:53:44

Real thing,
Did you make your own sensor or are they available somewhere?

Kevin

IP Logged
Gramps
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/01/06 at 18:13:00

I posted a topic about compression on Bert's Suzuki forum about a year ago. My compression was 120. I got a lot of posts on how to take compression, but noboby actually knew what theirs was. I just took my 98 engine apart & checked the cylinder wall, valves, timing chain, tensioner, & chain guides. All were OK. I lapped the valves in (Clymers says not to) & put it back together today. The compression is 130. It has never used any oil & always ran good. I would like to know what the actual compression is on some other Savages. This is where to find the post on Bert's forum.
http://www.heise-workstations.de/ls650/Fragen/messages/45837.html

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 04/01/06 at 18:27:44

leaner runs hotter - if you richen up the mixture it will run cooler - enough to address this bike i do not know-
need to measure the compression on the '95 and '02 one of these days - it would interesting to see the difference between 1200 miles and >22k miles.

here's a post on temp guages

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 04/01/06 at 18:48:21

and by the way - I use term jetted incorrect a lot because I'm talking about all 3 mixture ranges - getting the mixture correct via the screw and the needle height via the white spacer or washers or if your lucky enough to have a needle with multiple groves for the clip, has a greater effect on temp over time - say a 30min run - than does the main jet unless your wide open or near to it on the throttle a lot

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 04/01/06 at 19:54:34

Cranking compression pressure is affected by many things. battery condition and cranking speed, is the throttle (in the case of the Savage the slide) WFO, oil viscosity compared to what the factory tested with and ambient temperature. So some variation from specs may still be OK. A more definitive test is a cylinder leakage test. Good article on it in this months Ride Metric Road Bike. Tools were on sale at Harbor freight at one time so I bought one. On some car engines compression will run 20-25 lbs low if the throttle and choke plate are not WFO. In my teaching years we always discussed compression pressure as an indicator of a possible problem and tried to do a cylinder leakage test before any disassembly. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/02/06 at 08:39:59

Thanks for input.

Well the bike is down until I do the muffler, which I have, the jets should be here tommorow, and the air filter. I will see if it makes any noticable difference and I will post the outcome and get some pictures of the finished product up here when I can.

Kev

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 01:19:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running hot? Semi-low compression?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.