Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Kuryakyn Grips (Read 12 times)
911radioman
Ex Member

Re: Kuryakyn Grips
Reply #15 - 04/03/06 at 13:00:00

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
uh i was thinking the glue was kinda crappy over long term.  My left grip has already loosen up ,  enough to turn it around.  I think Torque rode my bike a couple of months ago and it came off in his hand while he went around a turn.  I know super glue wont cut it so I still need to find some suitable replacement.

and yes I did follow the instructions to the T.  Smiley

i still think my bike maybe cursed.

Don't know if I read it here or elsewhere, but I've heard of several people using golf grip tape.  Might be an option for ya.

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/03/06 at 14:16:36

how about gorilla glue.. any reason not to use that when i do mine?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 04/03/06 at 15:22:41

When I put the Kuryakyn ISO grips on mine, I used the glue supplied with the grips and it seems to be pretty good stuff so far.  The only thing that's concerned me so far about it will be if I change handlebars, how I'll break the stuff loose to get my grips off.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 04/03/06 at 15:47:50

i'm trying to find a substitute for the kuryakyn glue since mine didn't come with any.

Rob, the only grip you would have to worry about is the left since the right is glued to the throttle sleeve correct?

The bars i got off ebay had the grips on them, but someone along the line removed them glue and all, the left grip wasn't damaged, but im not sure how it was removed.  There is some dried glue aorund the mouth of the grip.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 04/03/06 at 16:14:14

I guess that's one thing I won't have to worry about, as I like the buckhorn bars I already have.  Fits me naturally and I like the look, so those grips are there for the duration. Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 04/03/06 at 17:43:36

That's true.  The throttle should be no problem.  On your dilemma, sorry... I missed that you didn't get any.  I must say that I've heard the hairspray idea from several sources.  I haven't tried it but I've been pretty satisfied with most of the other info from those same sources so I'd bet it works.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #21 - 04/03/06 at 21:02:54

You can buy tubes of grip glue at most cycle shops, hair spray is mostly laquer and will work. I'd hate to have a grip come off at an inopportune time. The stuff that comes with the grips, doesn't start drying until it is out of the air, the opposite of RTV silicone types of adhesives. I did lots of dry fits to prevent the curling problems described above. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 04/03/06 at 21:17:07

I did about a dozen dry fits too, but the way my luck ran...  Angry

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 04/04/06 at 14:11:19

I'll check out the local shop "cycles 128" and see if they have any glue.  I agree on the idea of not wanting my grip to slide off at a bad time.  If all else fails i think im going to use gorilla glue

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/04/06 at 14:12:08

on second thought. I'll glue the throttle one and hairspray the left one until im am positive i like my new handlebars.. that way i won't have to tear them off if i decided to change something.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 04/04/06 at 14:43:13

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I can't see the rest of the exhaust but my MAC did that when I wrapped the header.

I pulled the heat shield off and looked things over really good while ago.  What I have is just a general bluing starting at the muffler/header connection and extending roughly the length of the heat shield.

The exhaust is tight and no leaks, verified that while I had the shield off.

I took some Blue Away and cleaned the muffler up and got most all of the bluing off.  I just ordered me the other type heat shield, as well as some simichrome so I can hit the muffler with a good polishing before I put everything back together.

All I can do at this point is see if the heat shield makes the difference.  I'm leaning toward the OEM shield being the problem, as the bluing stops as soon as that shield ends.

IP Logged
Lion

Budapest, Hungary
Reply #26 - 04/27/06 at 21:47:37

Can you tell me please the exact diameter size of the grips?

'96 LS400 (
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 04/27/06 at 22:13:30

Lion wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Can you tell me please the exact diameter size of the grips?

No I can't.  However, they are larger in diameter than the stock Savage grips.  If you have a large hand as I do, you will appreciate the Kury grips.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 04/28/06 at 07:25:36

yeah and u can get kewl things like helmet locks, throttle boss(kinda like cruise control), and kewl accent pieces

check out my Stiletto end caps.

I love my grips and I would have never known until I went to this site a year and a half ago.  Thanks guys.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #29 - 04/28/06 at 08:03:24

My hands are not large at all (I tend to wear between a medium and a large in mens gloves, if that helps) and I love the feel of the Kuryakyn grips.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 04:28:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kuryakyn Grips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.