Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Kuryakyn Grips (Read 12 times)
911radioman
Ex Member

Kuryakyn Grips
03/31/06 at 23:44:00

Looks like I'm gonna be doing the grip thing this weekend.  Picked up the 6240 ISO grips the other day, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Re: Kuryakyn Grips
Reply #1 - 04/01/06 at 05:48:48

I just got a set a few days ago, going to put them and my; sportster bars on together this week.

good luck with the install

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 04/01/06 at 10:02:32

I've just completed doing mine and offer these tips. LH is easy. RH you need to remove the long ridges and raised rings near the top of the throttle sleeve to get the grip to fit correctly. It is easy to remove and I lubed the throttle cable while I was there.  I used a file until I remembered my wife has a belt sander for her art work. Worked great. I dry fit mine a numbers of time as it kept rolling the insert under the last 3/8 inch or so. Then be careful with the glue. After I pushed it on it was free, a few minutes later I tried to turn it again and it was locked up tight. the glue had glued the sleeve to the end of the handle bar. I was able to break it free by undoing the switch housing again and pulling it off the bar. I cleaned all the glue off the bar and the inside of the grip as I could and then tried it until I was sure the glue had set. Be sure to decide how to want to index them before you use the glue. I did the left one to allow the clutch lever full travel against the chrome rather than the rubber part of the grip. Then matched the throttle side when at rest. Haven't driven with them yet but did like them on my brothers HD. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/01/06 at 10:06:22

Well, the Kuryakyns are on.  Pretty effortless installation overall, but there was one glitch...

I did run into an issue on the throttle grip.  About 3/4 way up doing the final glue on, the rubber around the end rolled under and the rubber two of the rubber grips poked up through the hole.  Bad news!

Tried to twist it to seat it back down, no go.  So I made sure I was still in line the way I wanted it and slammed it on up there.  Made things a bit worse.  

So, here I sit on the stool in the garage staring at the grip and thinking "I've just wasted $50!"  Then, I had a flash of genius...

Wife went in the house and retrieved the hair dryer for me.  Had her start working the length of the grip on hyperscorch.  I put on some leather gloves and started massaging the rubber while she kept pouring the heat to it.  

Guys, I'm here to tell ya, that glue is tough stuff!  However, the heat worked extremely well.  I kept massaging the rubber and after about a half hour of heat and massage, everything fell back into place.  

Even though the glue is instant setting, it WILL soften up enough to allow you to rework things a little.  I didn't take it to the point of trying to move the whole grip, as I had it aligned the way I wanted it to match the clutch grip, but it did soften the glue enough to reseat the rubbers and get everything looking good.

After the scare, and after the repair, I have to say the grips look fantastic, and they feel great on a test run.

I managed to grind the tip off my left index finger with a grinder that I used to take the ridges off the throttle sleeve, so that drew some blood (actually quite a bit), but all is well once again in Savageland.

I'll snap some pictures here after I woof down a bit of lunch to show you how things look now.

Tom

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/01/06 at 11:31:36

Here are the pics I promised.  If they are a bit blurry, just overlook that as I've been up since 4:30 yesterday afternoon!

In looking at the pictures, I think the throttle grip straightened out pretty good.  Also, I think as time goes on the rubber parts will seat themselves and be just fine.

These last two show close-ups of where the rubbers puckered up.  I think they straightened out really well by using heat and massaging the rubber around for about a half hour or so.

I also think they'll mold in better as time and use goes on.

On a side note, totally unrelated to grips...

Anybody have a clue what is causing this bluing on my muffler?

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/01/06 at 13:23:03

I got my grips off ebay, and didn't get any glue.  Any advice on what type i could go buy to do the job?

Nice looking install

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/01/06 at 13:50:16

This stuff was like a super-super glue gel.  Sets up FAST.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #7 - 04/02/06 at 18:40:53

just a guess - exhaust gas leaking at the muffler to head pipe joint.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 04/02/06 at 18:54:43

The worlds best grip glues are found in most households... hairspray or WD40. Both will lubricate the grip enough to install, and when dry lock them in place fairly well.

Enjoy your Isogrips. I have customers raising nine kinds of hell because our shipment for the year hasn't come in yet. They are the same "Buffalo" knock-offs JC Whitless sells. Oh, FWIW, your "Made in Korea" Kuryakyn stuff is actually made in Taiwan by Emgo... Either way, better your hands than mine.

Installed the first of my "new" grips about 10 minutes ago. Savages respond well to left-over 1970s parts...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #9 - 04/02/06 at 19:39:04

RE the muffler stain. Id say it is because it is not cooled because the OE style heat shield covers it and the air cannot get to it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 04/03/06 at 10:45:47

I can't see the rest of the exhaust but my MAC did that when I wrapped the header.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/03/06 at 12:32:34

uh i was thinking the glue was kinda crappy over long term.  My left grip has already loosen up ,  enough to turn it around.  I think Torque rode my bike a couple of months ago and it came off in his hand while he went around a turn.  I know super glue wont cut it so I still need to find some suitable replacement.

and yes I did follow the instructions to the T.  Smiley

i still think my bike maybe cursed.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/03/06 at 12:55:34

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
just a guess - exhaust gas leaking at the muffler to head pipe joint.

No leaks there.  This is actually beyond the joint on the larger part of the muffler itself.  I tend to be leaning toward another post that suggested the OEM heat shield may be holding in too much heat.

I know there were no leaks there because I used the Suzuki gasket and double checked the tightness of that clamp.  Also, there is no discoloration or sooting on the oil level window, which is right there at that connection.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/03/06 at 12:57:32

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
The worlds best grip glues are found in most households... hairspray or WD40. Both will lubricate the grip enough to install, and when dry lock them in place fairly well.

Enjoy your Isogrips. I have customers raising nine kinds of hell because our shipment for the year hasn't come in yet. They are the same "Buffalo" knock-offs JC Whitless sells. Oh, FWIW, your "Made in Korea" Kuryakyn stuff is actually made in Taiwan by Emgo... Either way, better your hands than mine.

Installed the first of my "new" grips about 10 minutes ago. Savages respond well to left-over 1970s parts...
-WD

Tell us how you really feel! Cheesy  I love the Kuryakyn grips, they reduce the vibration immensely and the larger size fits my hands 10x better than the factory grips did.  Plus, they look darn good too! Cheesy

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/03/06 at 12:58:46

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I can't see the rest of the exhaust but my MAC did that when I wrapped the header.

Actually, I've been thinking lately about blacking out  the exhaust similar to yours.  I have always thought that looks plain cool...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 02:58:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kuryakyn Grips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.