Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just got a Savage need help (Read 41 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Just got a Savage need help
03/30/06 at 10:58:02

I just bought a used 2000 suzuki LS650 Savage.

When I first got it home the other day, I put in a new battery and fired it up, drove it up and down the street a couple of times and then parked it.

Here's my problem. Now it won't start. I put in a fresh tank of gas and tried to fire it up. The engine turns over, but it won't fire. I beleave I am getting gas because I smell it when I try to start it which tells me I may not be getting any fire.  

I have pulled the plug and cleaned it up. (it actually looked pretty clean, but I cleaned it up a little more anyhow) Put the plug back in and it still won't fire up.

I did notice when I took the air cleaner out that there was a lot of fuel just sitting in the air cleaner box. Well, I mopped all of that out as well.

On another board devoted to bikers they suggested that I need to rebuild my carb, however I have looked on-line and I can't seem to find a carb rebuild kit, all I keep finding are new/used carbs, but not a kit. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Re: Just got a Savage need help
Reply #1 - 03/30/06 at 11:40:10

From what you described it sounds like a carb cleaning is in order.  I had a similar problem with my '02 and a simple bottom end carb disassembly cleaning and float adjustment fixed the problem. The only part I needed was the gasket #26 - see http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0271/carburetor/carburetor.cfm?man=su&group... . Although, while you have the carb off the bike an entire cleaning of the carb would be a good idea. Just be careful and do not get any carb cleaner on the rubber diaphram of the slide assembly.

Good luck.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 03/30/06 at 13:11:06

A "carb rebuild" usually just means clean it out with carb cleaner or gas, and change the gasket.  The gaskets are $5, or you can make one out of uncolored posterboard.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #3 - 03/30/06 at 13:41:18

Thank you, I will definately try that.  Smiley

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #4 - 03/30/06 at 19:57:16

Where's the proper places to hook up jumper cables? My battery is too low to crank the bike now. Sad

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #5 - 03/30/06 at 20:14:05

Your best to buy a low amp charger and hook it up all night for a compleat charge...  For a compleat charge is needed you must !! ( jedi Talk )...Help me neighborhood parts store, Your my only hope ( To much television )

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #6 - 03/30/06 at 20:23:35

Even when my bike cranks like mad but does not have a full charge there is no way it will start untill the bat is brought up to full capasity..   If it sets for a couple of weeks I have to top off the charge...Then Im fine for days of trouble free riding..... 8)

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #7 - 04/01/06 at 13:37:20

YEEEEHAAWWWW!!!!

Got my bike running today.  Grin Grin I am so happy.

I bought me a charger last night and let the battery charge on a very slow trickle all night, then this morning, took off the charger and removed the carb, took it apart cleaned it up, replaced the spark plug, and now she fire on the first crank.

I want to thank all of you who made suggestions for me to try, they worked really well and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 11:23:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just got a Savage need help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.