Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
100 Mile Checkup (Read 1 times)
clairm
YaBB Newbies

Draper, Utah
100 Mile Checkup
03/28/06 at 21:56:00

When I bought my S40 last week, the dealer said that it was very important that I bring the bike back after 100-200 miles and have everything checked out, and that they would only charge me $150 for my trouble. Does this sound reasonable? My only concern after 120 miles of riding is the squeaky front brake, and I found a couple thing on this board that might fix the problem. I mean, what is the dealer going to do for $150 that I couldn't do myself???

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Re: 100 Mile Checkup
Reply #1 - 03/29/06 at 04:26:24

he'll change the oil, re-torque the head bolts, adjust brakes, and do a general once over to make sure everything is in good working order. It's a good Idea to let them do this first one, and then after that you should be good to do it yourself. Failure to let them do it may void your 1 year warranty.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #2 - 03/29/06 at 05:07:58

Sounds like the dealer is trying to get some extra cash. The first scheduled checkup is 600 miles. That's what I'd go with.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 03/29/06 at 05:19:25

what babbalou said.
I wasn't paying attention to the conversion
My first check-up was 1000 Km

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #4 - 03/29/06 at 06:10:06

I did my first check up at 600 miles on my '06 and everything went (and is still going) smoothly...but I paid more than 150 for the 600 mile check.

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Houston_Toad
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/29/06 at 06:55:23

clairm wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
When I bought my S40 last week, the dealer said that it was very important that I bring the bike back after 100-200 miles and have everything checked out, and that they would only charge me $150 for my trouble. Does this sound reasonable? My only concern after 120 miles of riding is the squeaky front brake, and I found a couple thing on this board that might fix the problem. I mean, what is the dealer going to do for $150 that I couldn't do myself???

I think yours was probably made about the same time as mine was. A large Austin dealer says between 600 to 1k mi, I think 200 mile is to soon - EXCEPT check the belt, mine was out of spec at 300 mi.  At 630 I changed the oil, and maybe at 1000, I'll do the valve thingy.  As for the squeaky front brake, "live with it".

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #6 - 03/29/06 at 07:10:14

I don't know where are You and how many dealers are in Your area.  The one You are dealing with is not thrustworthy.  If You are in a big city and You buy a bike from a dealer in the other side of the city, You have to go back for service before You get home. The first is at 600 mi. and it is  nothing - just a simple oil change. In so many years of wrenching, I have never seen a bike to come for first service and realy to need some work. Of course I'd check and readjust the valves/if somebody is paying /, but always the valves have been in the specs. About the head bolt retorque- I have never done it on any bike and I have never seen a bike to need it. I know that a lot of guys here have done it and may be somebody will state different, but I 'd like to hear somebody saying that his bike realy needed it.
About the voiding the waranty- no way.  Suzuki motor company does everything to encourage the dealers to do more waranty work. If You have any problems with the dealer, just contact Suzuki.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #7 - 03/29/06 at 16:34:01

Yeah, 600 mile is the first, you should check the simple things like the spokes, and oil and stuff like that but there is no need for a service. that squeaky front brake sounds to me like the dealership didn't clean the cosmolene off the disc when they assembled it. I'd make sure because if they didn't your squeak is never going away until you/they replace the pads.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 03/29/06 at 17:38:55

my 06  is a lil over 1k..@ 300 i changed the oil and filter
and added a magnetic drain plug..schelduled an appoitment at the the dealer for the 600 mile..ended up ridinthe wek end b 4 so had bout 800 on the od..
for $120 they lubed and adjusted the cables,replaced the spark plug,checked,adjusted drive belt,checked adjusted spokes,changed oil and filter,checked air filter,tire pressure,charging system...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 03:20:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 100 Mile Checkup

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.