Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Snapped Bolt (Read 2 times)
Jonnyweave
Ex Member

Snapped Bolt
03/27/06 at 19:21:19

I was doing the  repair on the  cap leak in the head as described in "Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak"   when alas even with the warnings of snapping bolts, and having my torque wrench set below the recommended torques I snapped one. Its the L130 bolt, one of the long ones that go into the head.   Does anyone have any ideas of how i could possibly get the bolt end out without removing the entire head?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Snapped Bolt
Reply #1 - 03/28/06 at 06:47:55

Uh-oh...

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 03/28/06 at 08:39:28

Screw extractor?  This is probably a bad idea, but you might be able to weld a lever arm to it...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 03/28/06 at 08:41:47

Have you removed the valve/head cover yet?  The reason I ask is that when I broke one off I was pretty dismal about it until after I removed the cover.  There was actually about 1mm of the bolt visible above the edge of the block.  I was able to barely grip it with a set of needle-nose vise-grips and turn it very slightly, adjust the grip, and turn again... (lather, rinse, repeat) until it was almost 1/4 inch up and then I could turn it with my fingers.  Otherwise, it would have been drill and EZ-out time for me.  Good luck!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #4 - 03/28/06 at 16:58:51

I'd see if you can get a hold of it with some vise-grips with the valve cover off first, I don't like EZ outs because if you snap the EZ out off then it's going to be "take the head off time", you're not going to drill through the broken off EZ out. When you do get it out make sure you haven't cross threaded the hole otherwise you may do the same thing all over again.

IP Logged
Jonnyweave
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/28/06 at 20:04:52

The valve/head cover is off...no sign of the bolt, only about a half of an inch looks to be missing from the top part  that snapped, and so the remainder looks to be somewhere near the bottom of the head...

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 03/28/06 at 20:50:18

Consider modifying a pin punch to a center punch and then look for a left hand drill bit about 1/2 the diameter of the broken bolt. Use a reversible drill and see if the drill will catch on the bolt while drilling and back it out. I've had good luck over the years with that method and keep some left hand sharpened drill bits around for when I need them It will work well of the bolt nsapped into rather than bottomed in the bole and is jammed, but often works even then. IN any case when you are done you will have a hole for an easy out. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

Reply #7 - 03/29/06 at 11:05:10

if i'm not mistaken, that bolt goes through to the cylinder.  can you take the head off and expose a good bit of the broken bolt?  The threads are in the cylinder.  

You'll need a new head gasket, but it should be super easy to get out once you pull the head.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:17:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Snapped Bolt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.