Ex Member

Handle Bar Opinion
03/21/06 at 14:42:27

What do you all think of this:

Handlebar 1 inch, Square

vs.

4 1/2 pullback risers and this bar

Bikers Choice Drag Bar V-Twin Handlebars

top one would end up costing less and could be adjustable a bit.

ps: i am 6'4" so i would be aiming for something that wont cramp my arms.

last question: what are beach bars and how do they ride?

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Re: Handle Bar Opinion
Reply #1 - 03/21/06 at 17:38:29

6 feet 1inch.....I went to HD, sat on the bikes and picked one.
They did me a deal on exhaust. (I gave em some T-shirts)
FLX bars are on my LS650!!!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/21/06 at 17:50:49

I would like to see the first ones on a bike. They look pretty cool.

Even if the second ones give you the reach you need I think you'll still have a lot of pressure on your wrists because you will tend to lean on them (just to low). And I'm not knocking them I think they look cool and I have friends that have them on different bikes and swear by them.

From riding dirt I found that in riding hard I keep a lot of pressure on my wrists, so when chilling or riding home I've found the best setup to be back almost straight, arms not fully extended and should not have to hold you from falling back or front.

It seems like the stock is going to work well for me, but I'm shorter. But I won't know until the bike is back together and I actually get to ride it.

Kevin

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/21/06 at 19:31:17

im just afraid the first one will look too big on the bike, but its simple i just hook it into the old clamps etc. and its cheaper..

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 03/21/06 at 22:13:46

I found these...  
DRAG HANDLEBAR FOR HARLEY 1" DIAMETER 26" WIDE

way cheaper ($16 + $7 shipping) but I wish they didn't have the dimples.  Anyone seen anything similar without?
 I haven't called to see if they offer dimple-free yet.
 I also noticed a post here somewhere on using deep-well sockets as risers.  Looked neat!
bob

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/21/06 at 23:14:11

The first ones might be a half inch taller than stock from what I could measure. The width of stock is about the same 27 inches. It's the pullback thats about 1/3 of the stock. The base is actually quite a bit narrower than stock.

The difference in posture of the first and second choice is pretty dramatic though Smiley Drag bars vs. Chopper's

You may want to take Clueless's advice and go try some out.

Kevin

IP Logged
dichotomous
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/22/06 at 04:15:00

I found some 4" pull back, 4" rise, 30" width bars on ebay, no clue what they look like yet, but I hope to get them by the weekend and install.  I'll take pics when I do and post, along with me on it to show the position change (I am 6'2", so it'll give SOME indication)

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/22/06 at 06:04:31

the nice thing about the first option is i can tilt them forward or backwards more., since they will mount on the old clamps.  This may turn out useful to help adjust them to fit me well.  I'm kinda aiming for the stock s40 look, i like that style

IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #8 - 03/22/06 at 16:47:58

My 05 S-40 has the flat bars that measure approx. 23 in. across.  Too short for my taste.  My hands are too close together and at slow speeds the bike tends to wobble somewhat. I like a bar that is 32 or so in. across. Any suggestions at to what bar will fill the bill?  Maybe one of the HD Sportsters?  Comments please.

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #9 - 03/22/06 at 19:17:59

My S40 stock bars felt a little narrow too. I put HD Sportster bars on & I like the feel. They're about 29" from grip end to grip end so the bar alone is about 27" wide. There's about a 4" rise though & I removed my risers to lower them. The grips angle back a little more than the flat bar which I find comfortable.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #10 - 03/23/06 at 18:20:26

For Babbalou - Any problem with the cables?  Could you use the orig. cables or did you need to get others?  If so where did you get them?

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/23/06 at 18:40:23

Just won this auction,

Finally Figured this link thing out > EBAY AUCTION

so i think i will try those bars, and relist the top triple tree to get a few bills back.  If i don't like those bars ill use the risers with it and try some cheap drag bars or soemthing like that.. i figure the auction was worth it for the grips and throttle boss alone if i can make them work correct.

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #12 - 03/23/06 at 21:07:08

The handlebars pictured in the auction are what I put on my 87. Feel and look much better and they are nice and wide for superior control. Good Choice!!
Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 03/23/06 at 21:09:27

That's a nice kit, those Kuryakyn ISO grips are great too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #14 - 03/24/06 at 01:44:26

USCG Cremeans wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Just won this auction,

Finally Figured this link thing out > EBAY AUCTION

so i think i will try those bars, and relist the top triple tree to get a few bills back.  If i don't like those bars ill use the risers with it and try some cheap drag bars or soemthing like that.. i figure the auction was worth it for the grips and throttle boss alone if i can make them work correct.

I had the same handle bar on my bike last year. Took it of because I could not fit the bullseye blinkers on.  With forward controls and the seat raised it was a comfortable ride.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 23:40:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handle Bar Opinion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.