Send Topic Print
Best saddlebags (Read 30 times)
911radioman
Ex Member

Re: Best saddlebags
Reply #15 - 03/26/06 at 21:19:29

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Tom,

That does seem like it would be very secure. The silicone sealant is a good idea.

Since I want to be able to easily remove the bags, I still plan to use velcro.  The P clamps started me thinking that I should attach a stiff metal plate to the supports with P clamps,  put velcro on that plate, and the velcro on the bags to match that.

Steve

My only thing with that would be that I would question how well the velcro would hold with loaded saddlebags.  Granted, you aren't supposed to carry the kitchen sink in those things, but as well, I wanted them to hold securely.

If I want to remove them, all I need it a stubby screwdriver and a 7/16" socket wrench.  5 minutes and they are off!

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/26/06 at 21:20:53

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I use leather shoe strings to attach the bags to the brackets. The holes are exactly the same size as the string. I don't know what the big deal with holes in the bags; if it rains, water will get in other ways. As a matter of fact, I should put a couple of holes on the bottom for drainage.

I think it depends on the make of bag and how they are constructed.  I've never gotten water in any of the Willie and Max bags I've owned. They do a really good job at keeping water out, I guess due to the way they are put together.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/26/06 at 21:22:23

Steve, I'll try to snap some pictures soon and post them up so you can see how I did it.  It is very similar to the link I put up for the guy running the Rebel.  I didn't line mine like he did, but his bags were an older version and Willie and Max has changed how they internally support their bags as opposed to just a few years ago.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 19:20:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best saddlebags

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.