Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sportster Muff - OK, I'm a moron... (Read 9 times)
caruso81
YaBB Newbies

Sherman, TX
Sportster Muff - OK, I'm a moron...
03/20/06 at 11:24:49

OK, I've done a little wrenching...brakes, jets, carbs, new horn, windshield, tires...nothing big, but some, and I must be particularly thick today, because there is something I'm missing...

I just got a pair of 05 Sportster mufflers from eBay. (anyone need one?) They seem correct for the Sportster because this info is shown on the stamp on the mufflers -- XL883/1200. Great. I got my stock muffler off without wrecking anything and I am getting the 7" 10-deg extention pipe made. No problem. Jets and a K/N filter are waiting patiently, and I have various spacers for the carb (stock is in there right now). Cool. These mufflers don't use a mounting tab, but they have square nubs and two bolts directly into those, one of which will fit right onto the rail (I may need a new hole). OK. The heat shield is an issue, but I'll find a universal one online.

But what I don't get is the round hole/opening that extends 90-deg out from the muffler about 2" down from the end where it will mate to the pipe? It is almost like another smaller pipe comes out of this. This opening can't be left open, but it doesn't seem like it will necessarily be tightly closed off when the muffler goes over the extension (or will it?). Does this late model muffler no longer work for the Savage? Or do I need to get some type of plug welded to cover this opening over? Ideas?

And does my confusion indicate that I ought to stop screwing with my bike?

Thanks,
Wayne Crannell

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Re: Sportster Muff - OK, I'm a moron...
Reply #1 - 03/20/06 at 13:30:11

maybe its a muffler from a california model.. having to due with some sort of smog reducing device?  thats my only guess.

good luck
jesse

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 03/20/06 at 13:49:50

I think I've see some versions that used a balance tube between the 2 mufflers to help with low end torque. Sounds like you may have ended up with a set like this. Have the muffler shop plug the hole for you with their wire feed welder, I'd use the upper one with the hole on the bottom for appearances sake if it was me. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/20/06 at 13:53:40

The 2003 and older sportster mufflers do not have the crossover fittings. Put those back on E-bay and get the right ones. If you use one of the ones you have the opening will have to be capped off or welded up. You might not be able to turn the "patch" down where it does not show depending on the mounting bracket.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 03/20/06 at 14:15:29

Plug the hole. Usually the hole is from inside and You don't have to worry about the welded cap being visible.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/20/06 at 14:30:54

That "hole" is a 1 3/4" diameter, 2" long pipe fitting protruding out of the side of the muffler where the header pipe connects. I guess one of the mufflers would mount up with the fitting pointing down, but it might drag the pavement in a sharp turn. If you have the muffler shop cut the fitting flush and wire weld a patch in that would be OK. You might be able to buy another muffler cheaper than the labor to patch up the one you have.

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #6 - 03/20/06 at 18:10:39

I'm with pgolden:  better to upload those two to ebay and use the paypal money to buy a single sportster muff without the balance tube.  Cutting, welding, patching -- unless you have the tools to do it yourself will end up being more of a pain than starting with the other version of muff.

pgolden wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
That "hole" is a 1 3/4" diameter, 2" long pipe fitting protruding out of the side of the muffler where the header pipe connects. I guess one of the mufflers would mount up with the fitting pointing down, but it might drag the pavement in a sharp turn. If you have the muffler shop cut the fitting flush and wire weld a patch in that would be OK. You might be able to buy another muffler cheaper than the labor to patch up the one you have.

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #7 - 03/20/06 at 18:11:51

Yep the late model Sportsters have crossovers.  I agree with pgolden, just put it back on ebay and buy the earlier model muffler.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/21/06 at 06:37:10

Here are the item numbers on e-bay that will work:
These are the inexpensive ones.

IP Logged
Capt._Capsize
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/23/06 at 08:13:17

as already suggested, unload the muffs you have.  I would visit all the Vtwin repair shops and custom shops in your area.  Around here they are everywhere.  Muffs usually go for 15 to 25 bucks.

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #10 - 03/23/06 at 21:12:40

I agree, re-sell those on ebay and get yourself a pair of Dyna Mufflers, there is NO tab to bend and the mount ligns up nicely with your stock bracket. Just make sure you get 2003 or older without the crossover pipe. You will be happy with the dynas.

Ebay Item number: 4624996092

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 03/24/06 at 02:42:17

Caruso, you might have another option if you like wrenching around and fiddling and tweaking etc. ...
You could use the muffler with the compensation tube pointing up, fit a long(er) pipe to it, and an adjustable piston, so that the length of this new pipe is variable.
Then run the bike at different revs and see how she sounds and performs.
This kind of contraption is a 'tunable resonance pipe', and helps to have low down grunt vs. high end screaming ???  horsepower.

BTW Porsche did something along these lines for the earlier road-legal 911Turbos (the ones with the older, 4-on-the-floor) they had a ballasted trap door in the muffler so that when boost exceeded a certain limit, the exhaust would not be baffled but 'straight through'
Lovely screamer from a flat 6

As they say in Kentucky, it's horses for courses.

Maurizio
PS OK OK stop horsing around, flog the muffs on eBay and get the other kind  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
caruso81
YaBB Newbies

Sherman, TX
Reply #12 - 04/01/06 at 15:17:15

Well, I did cut one of those crossover inlets off and ground it down. Turned out OK, but I went ahead and got the Sportster anyway. The first muffler was a little longer, and I didn't like the look, although I think it would have worked fine once I got the 1 3/4 tailpipe extension in there. The Sportster is on now, and aside from the bu-u-utt fugly muffler clamp, it looks, sounds, and runs perfectly....the sound really is like having a new bike. Very soft "whump" when I shut it off, but almost no backfire closing the throttle (152.5 jet, went one up on the pilot jet, full white spacer in). I have a KN filter, but I have to go get the 155 jet...it ran extremely lean with the KN in, so I went back to stock for now. Also have to figure out how that fu-u-ugly clamp is going to get along with a universal heat shield.

BTW.... thanks for the ideas.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #13 - 04/02/06 at 20:15:49

Did you get a HD muffler clamp?

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #14 - 04/03/06 at 06:07:55

Yea for fitment and looks the harley clamp is pretty good in this application...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 11:29:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sportster Muff - OK, I'm a moron...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.