Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shorter Forward Controls??? (Read 4 times)
650savagegirl
Ex Member

Shorter Forward Controls???
03/19/06 at 13:43:40

Ok...I've put good few miles on the bike and I keep getting cramps in my upper thighs and left calf.  Hubby says its because I am streched out to reach the peg and when I go to shift up I completely flex my foot to a pointed angle (straight out).  I believe I would be more comfy with the pegs a few inchs back to give my leg a little more angle...say about 90-120 degrees.  Right now I only have a slight bend in my legs so I would say that they are at about 160-170 degrees.  Any help on finding theses controls would be appriciated... Thanks in advance!!!  Kiss

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Re: Shorter Forward Controls???
Reply #1 - 03/19/06 at 14:13:53

You may have to raise the back of the seat. I don't think you will be able to bring those controls closer without extensive modification.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 03/20/06 at 04:25:44

Looked at my Savage....   Moving controls forward is a mere matter of a flat plate and a couple of longer rods.  Moving back would require a three dimensional adapter to clear the engine case.  On the left side you could attach a shifter lever directly to the splined whatever you call it coming out of the transmission, maybe weld a peg mount to the frame?

You might try thinner padding on the seat to bring you down and forward.  Maybe a new thin seat.  I was looking at pictures of metal tractor seats -- the shape is such that padding is not needed.

WWW   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #3 - 03/20/06 at 05:11:40

Don't hesitate to take the seat cover off. It is very easy to put back on. I used a staple gun to put it back. The foam cushion should be wrapped in plastic, but it comes off in one piece. Put the seat "pan" on the bike and see where you fit.
I used an electric knife to modify my seat. I cut the hump off the back of the seat. Then I thinned down the passenger pillion as it really stuck out. Very easy to do.
Good luck!!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #4 - 03/20/06 at 05:58:17

or u could just simply adjust the shift lever back a little Roll Eyes

IP Logged
dichotomous
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/20/06 at 14:01:44

how about adding a spacer or rubber pad to the surface of the brake as well, I know your problem brought here was the shifting, but the brake could easily be brought forward a bit too.  have you tried sitting closer to the tank?  its tough for me to think of things to bring the pegs closer, I have to opposite problem.

IP Logged
650savagegirl
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/20/06 at 20:45:46

ok....maybe this will show you a little more of my problem...

See how straight my let is going out to the peg?  and I am sitting up on the tank...  I was just looking for a way to bring them (pegs) back a few inchs.  The hubby is going to adjust my shifter and has talked about getting a slip-on to make it larger and longer... I was just hoping that there may be an easy solution to this... good thing he's creative I guess...  Grin
Thanks for all the help with this.... Kiss

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 03/21/06 at 04:37:52

your legs will get a bit longer when you put on your boots - you have thick sole boots right ?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 03/21/06 at 05:24:49

Assumption:  you are a safe driver/rider who is looking ahead and in situations where you might need to stop you practice OGOB - off gas over brake.  In other words, you do not need to be constantly on the foot controls.

Highway pegs.

For most people, this means a set of pegs mounted foreward, usually on the 'crash' bars.  For you, a set of footpegs mounted maybe on the swingarm pivot.  Just as a place to rest the legs when you do not need to be over the controls -- which is like 95%+ of the time.  Maybe floorboards?

WWW   IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/21/06 at 07:01:47

If your handlebars were closer to you, you could slink a little bit in the seat. I bet you have to stretch forward with your hands on the handle bars. With pullback handlebars I think you could reach the pegs without any problems. I have sat on a new S40 and I remember reaching further forward to reach the bars.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #10 - 03/21/06 at 13:43:39

I have a 2003 Savage and it has a different type handlebar. Daughter's bike is like yours and I have the same problem trying to ride it. My Hubby adjusted the angle of the bars on mine so it worked better for me and I got a new gel seat that was a bit lower. I always wear high sole boots but be careful when you get boots that they don't get hung up between the pegs. We joked that he stomped the toes of my boots to soften them up but that is what he did, before that they were so stiff they hung up when I'd shift. I'm 4'11" and shrinking. Check into different bars, I think that would be the biggest help.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 03/21/06 at 14:15:46

RadarORiley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Check into different bars, I think that would be the biggest help.

Yup, checkin' into bars...  that was a FINE Navy tradition!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #12 - 03/22/06 at 08:53:26

Now, Rob, nobody likes a smarta$$   Wink

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #13 - 03/22/06 at 20:09:10

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Yup, checkin' into bars...  that was a FINE Navy tradition!

That was a FINE joke...  Grin

thanks Rob,

RW

IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #14 - 03/23/06 at 04:12:20

Hmmm.  Well sitting here thinking about this and now seeing the picture.. You're a smallin' ain't ya?!   Undecided   Hmmmm..  Erognomically I bet it's a pain to shift and keep your legs out all the time.  I'm thinking along the lines of moving the behind down and forward a touch may help some.  I'd get a seat off of e-bay or someone here and gut it.  Shave down the form, maybe add some gel padding that way it's not so bad for longer rides.  You might gain a half inch or inch if you do that....

I can't think of a way to move your pegs back really...  I wonder it Kurigan (Sp!!) has a product you could use, like they have this "dog-leg" type adapter that off sets foot pegs.  Maybe you could reverse the direction its intended to be used and move the pegs back?  But then your problem is the controls...

Or like someone else said, floorboards...  You only need to move your feet for starting and stoping anyways for the most part.

-Roadie

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 23:26:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shorter Forward Controls???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.