Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
drilling baffles (Read 14 times)
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
drilling baffles
03/18/06 at 15:44:30

I know I read this here before, but after searching all the words and phrases i could think of, i can't seem to find this. Question is, How many holes and how large of a hole to drill. I just looking for a little better sound, not loud.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: drilling baffles
Reply #1 - 03/18/06 at 15:58:53

Well, there's this thread, along with a drilled stocker and the Hartman Mod.  Both of the latter links are hosted on Jon's Suzuki Savage Site.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Capt. Capsize

Reply #2 - 03/18/06 at 17:04:40

Drilling or punching out baffles is a bad idea.  It doesn't make the wheezy muffller sound better, just louder.  If you want it to sound better put on a Harley Sportster muffler.  They are cheap and easy to come by.  Visit your local independant Vtwin repair shops also custom builders.  They can be had for 15 to 25 bucks.  Also make your carb richer by adjusting the low speed jet, doing the white spacer and jet mod.  That will deepen the tone more than anything else.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 03/19/06 at 07:10:11

Chris,
The reason why You can not find a refference how big and how many holes to drill is because it is something personal for everybody. I don't like the idea of doing it at all. If You insist- go with 3-8mm holes. If the noise is not enoufh- double the number f the holes. I don't believe You will get any better performance, but just more noise.
The only exhaust that sounds worse than what You want to do is an original exhaust that has been gutted.
Get Yourself a nice HD exhaust /if You can not find one I'll sell You one for $10 + shipping/, install it corectly and You will have a bike with a "classy" sound and with a little better performance. If You want noisy exhaust You can always gut the HD pipe and it sounds better than Suzy's and it is a better material.
Sell the original exhaust on eBay and You will make money.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 03/19/06 at 10:05:51

Slavy, I'm in Tucson and can't find a decently priced sporty muffler here.  Could I get one from you?  Would I go to a 150 main at my elevation? 2400ft?
bob

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/19/06 at 14:21:55

I bought two brand new Sportster mufflers off E-bay last week for $5.00 plus $20.00 shipping. I see them on there all the time.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #6 - 03/19/06 at 15:21:31

Hey Bob,
If You come to Phx, You can get one from me for $5 and You buy me a cup of coffee.
 About the jet- if Your bike is '96+ and no filter mod, I'd go 150. My wife's bike has HD Screeming Eagle II with the baffle. Sounds awesome and performes excellent too. I have 152.5 main,but SE II is a little less restrictive and I am in Phx.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 03/19/06 at 16:53:16

Slavy,
Sent you my phone and address in an e-mail.  Might have a friend passing through town that could pick it up for me.  Let me know if thats o.k.  If so , rain check on the coffee.
thanks,
bob

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #8 - 03/19/06 at 17:43:36

I think I'm going with the sporty muffler. I got a bid on a set on Ebay now from mps71. I've checked out the tech. section and it doesn't appear to be that involved, although I may employ a  guy I work with to weld me correct diameter peice on the end so I can simply bolt it on with beating the b-jesus out of it. What is the diameter of the stock pipe?

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/20/06 at 14:10:20

Make sure the mufflers are off a 2003 or older. Take your header pipe and muffler to a muffler shop, tell the muffler dude you need a 6 or 7 inch adapter with a 10 degree bend. Our local shop charged me $12.00 for the adapter. I wish I had gotten him to build a few extras. You can look at my adapter at bikepics.com. I took two closeups of it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 05:20:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › drilling baffles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.