Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Savage Sidecar (Read 48 times)
Glenn_Gray
Ex Member

Savage Sidecar
03/16/06 at 18:54:40

After playing with VW trikes for 10 years I decided to build a sidecar . I wanted a motorcycle that would be a challenge and afordable and after reading this site a zillion times I bought a Suzuki Savage. I know nothing about sidecars so I am designing it as an  asymmetrical trike. Oh yes, I am also killing 4 birds with one stone. I have a Savage that makes me one of you, I will have a sidecar that puts me with the United Sidecar Association,one cylinder that keeps me in the fourstroke single owners association and three wheels keeps me in the Brothers of the Third Wheel. I know some of you out there can help me.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Savage Sidecar
Reply #1 - 03/16/06 at 19:13:53

Welcome aboard!  I'm sure I'll learn a lot following your progress.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 03/16/06 at 20:09:32

There are some sidecars on Bert's old savage site in the phots part. Also here is some information on one that was in WA state
RETRO SUZUKI with sidecar. 1986 LS650 Savage professionally
customized to resemble old British single. 18/19" alloy rims with
K70 replicas. Solo saddle with rearset foot controls. Vintage front
fender and headlight. Matching Velorex sidecar has convertible top,
brake and trunk. Detaches in 20 minutes. $4,000 firm.
clint750@netzero.net or (360) 426-7451.
Photo was in nwtt@yahoo.com site at the time this was posted 08 April 2004. I've been saving it for when I win the lottery

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/17/06 at 14:39:32

i had an idea about trying to make a sidecar..
it would give me a place to put my surfboard  Grin

and i wouldnt need a kickstand anymore ; Wink

IP Logged
Glenn_Gray
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/17/06 at 16:13:32

My grandfather Niederkorn came from Germany and my greatgrandfather Gray came from Scotland, the lands of sidecars so come on cousins and tell me what you think. Can I make a viable sidecar with a Savage?

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #5 - 03/17/06 at 17:48:55

Glenn_Gray wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
My grandfather Niederkorn came from Germany and my greatgrandfather Gray came from Scotland, the lands of sidecars so come on cousins and tell me what you think. Can I make a viable sidecar with a Savage?

I think you could adapt one for in town use, but it would be a strain on highway travel for the Savage. If I were designing and building one I think weight of the side car would be critical. I would also think that modifying the carbs and exhaust would be of imperative.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Glenn_Gray
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/17/06 at 18:36:33

I have a Super Trap and one of  Lancers carbs. I am going to do my best to keep the curb weight under 450 pounds. I am also trying to keep the cost under $5500 and that includes a new Savage.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #7 - 03/17/06 at 18:45:18

I have a Super Trap and one of  Lancers carbs. I am going to do my best to keep the curb weight under 450 pounds. I am also trying to keep the cost under $5500 and that includes a new Savage.

Steel frame and fiberglass body??

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 03/17/06 at 19:16:24

In 1958 my Uncle picked me up at Heathrow Airport and rode me over 30 miles thru the English countryside to Grandma's House in Slade Green -- in sidecar.  Great fun for an 11-year-old.

For the Savage, rather than trying to build my own, I'd go with a Watsonian Stratford sidecar -- only 150 pounds.  Savage should handle it just fine and still be able to do at least 65mph.  I also have a local SideCar Dealer for help making/modifying/adjusting the mount.

I asked the girls if they would ride in a sidecar if I got one.  They looked at me as if I were asking them to wallow in a pig sty.  I get to stay solo.

WWW   IP Logged
Glenn_Gray
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/17/06 at 20:05:51

Brewbrother, I am going to use the lost art of laminating paper to make the body. My father and I built a racing sailboat with a paper hull, it was fast and really cheap.                                                                                 Paladin,The Watsonian is a beautiful car , but I dont have those kinds of dollars in my budget. Also I am 63 and any woman I take riding will need a place to put her walker.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #10 - 03/17/06 at 20:12:28

They have pulled sidecars with alot less cc's and torque than the Savage. I think there may even be a review on Bert's Savage home page from one of the early adoptees. http://www.heise-workstations.de/ls650/Reviews/JamesReview2-e.html. Found it. It is only missing a reverser to back out of parking spaces. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 03/17/06 at 20:19:32

Brewbrother, I am going to use the lost art of laminating paper to make the body. My father and I built a racing sailboat with a paper hull, it was fast and really cheap. ....

Would that be sort of like how we bulit model airplanes with paper over wood frames doped to tighten and seal?

WWW   IP Logged
Glenn_Gray
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/17/06 at 20:56:23

Max,thanx.You have increased my confidence.   Paladin,If you wet paper it can be stretched over a compound surface and by adding layers it becomes like plywood. During WW1 the Germans built wooden aircraft with compound curves by laminating wood in molds and I hope to do the same with paper. And yes I have worked with fiberglass and I hate the stuff.You dont get into trouble sanding paper.I was unable to do any work this winter as my workspace is not heated,but now I am finding time to get into my shop.As this progresses I will try to post Pictures.

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #13 - 03/17/06 at 23:44:46

when I was in germany,'53 to '55(Fulda,Gessin,Bad Hershfelt area) thanks to Uncle Sam, anything over a 250 was hack bike. seen many Vespas amd Lambetas with chairs. knew a bike mechanic who had a 175 Puch, rode to work all week solo, come the weekend, attach the car and trailer, put the frau on the pillion, kinder in car and go shopping. 250 BMW's,350 Horex most all had cars on. I had a 250 Puch and was ask many times why I did'nt have a sidecar on it. all bemmers up to the early 60's came with Earls forks and knobs on the frame for hack attaching.  I think a 40 cu. in. single would pull the he!! out of a hack. diesel

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/18/06 at 03:23:26

Over on Bert's page the very first picture in the Galery is a Savage combination belonging to one Ian Turnbull.  There is a contact address.  I like the idea of a Savage with chair.  Go for it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 07:26:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Sidecar

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.