Send Topic Print
Rev Limiter (Read 125 times)
Taz

Bikes and boats,
Yeah!

Rev Limiter
03/16/06 at 16:56:49

Does our Savage have a rev limiter?

I'm still breaking in my new baby, so for another 400 miles I don't really care, but after that...

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: Rev Limiter
Reply #1 - 03/16/06 at 17:26:41

nope no rev limiter,dont know why not  Undecided

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 03/16/06 at 19:10:12

One known limiter of sorts on some European bikes is talked about in this thread.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 11/28/08 at 21:35:33

FWIW....

The DEC 86 issue of Road Rider magazine had a test of the LS650 written by Bob Anderson.

He mentioned bouncing off of the rev limiter several times.   Huh

Do it or don't it?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/28/08 at 21:46:51

I don't know what he was smokin' but it wasn't a rev limiter.
Must of been valve float, gees, I hope they broke in the engine before they gave it to him.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 11/28/08 at 22:00:07

I can state that the bike does not want to over-rev naturally even if you do push it intentionally.  The top end goes flat a good bit before you hit the red line RPM.

I cannot say if it is electrical or not.  There are intentional cast-in-place restrictions in the intake and exhaust portions of the head casting.  This restriction of intake and exhaust porting is known to us collectively as we post porting instructions and pics on how to modify it when hopping up a motor.

We know that restrictor washers are used to further lower hp (and thus peak RPM under load) in some select European countries to meet local new rider laws.

Someone would have to post Suzuki and ask them if electronic over rev is part of the electronic package in the black box.  We know black boxes can contain spark advance curves (and we believe ours does) and we also know that our electronics have been updated a few times over the years.  

But do we have over-rev protection built into the black box?  It isn't listed anywhere as a feature ....

Dunno.

I have never heard of someone blowing an engine up due to a missed shift in a lower gear.  I generally short shift to stay in the fat part of the torque curve (which is at mid rpms).

However, I have heard about valves breaking the tulip off at highway speeds and trashing the engine.  I have heard about melting a hole in the top of a piston due to excessive lean running at highway speeds.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #6 - 11/29/08 at 03:15:57

As always, Oldfeller presents a really good amount of info...BTW...what is the redline of our beasties???

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 11/29/08 at 05:39:53

About the same as my car, 6,000 to 6,500 RPM.  Actually, they never make a big thing about rpm in the literature either because you can't really go there with the bike in gear.  Highest rpm I ever saw off my little EMC tach was 5,500 rpm and that was with me intentionally running it out in second and third gear just to see what would happen -- answer = power curve went flat peaked and and just didn't go any higher.

===================

Hey Toymaker, gots me a question for you.

Are you going to host another mountain run next summer?  I have mostly recovered from the last trip (mentally) and am considering it in a positive light again.

Last we talked it was going to be a meet at the campground nearby to the Dragon and stay a night format.   If you are still thinking about doing it, open up a discussion so we can hash out the details.  

Actually, I think the list got more pure enjoyment out of talking about it whether they planned to do it or not.

Then I'd know whether Lancer was going or not early on -- that would prompt more work or not on the hyper savage 650cc Suzuki just to get ready for the trip if he were indeed going and wasn't taking his Savage.  Otherwise I'd take the newer 650 with the big ol' fat tire and just poke along with the crowd.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #8 - 11/29/08 at 06:09:23

yep, yep, yep...I'm certainly up for it.  I don't know if I'll be on the Savage or not.  The missus is talking about gettin' another bike...but I do know we're keeping the Savage.  uh yep...we can start from here...then stay over night close to the Dragon. Then ride the Dragon from there....whatcha think?  I think it'll be a blast.  Now just have to pick a date.  AFAIK, any date after the 12th of June and before the 15th of August is a good one for me.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 11/29/08 at 06:32:38

We have a plant shut down the week before the 4th of July.  Most folks have a long weekend off on the 4th of July.  This upcoming year the 4th is on Sunday with most folks getting off the Friday before the holiday.

Actually, whatever date is good with the group is good for me.  It doesn't have to be the 4th.

Aiming at a holiday with enough time in advance means folks can plan for it.  Me, I want a bed to sleep in so we can book me a cabin or a room and I'll split it with somebody if they don't want to carry sleeping bags on their bike.

If the group wants the 4th, we better get cracking with the reservations now before everyplace near the Dragon gets booked up solid.  There are towns and hotels scattered all around the area, you just have to get reasonably close ...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 11/29/08 at 06:41:24

I posted a Dragon thread in the Cafe all proper-like so we can un-hijack Taz's rpm limiter thread now ....

Sorry Taz, I just caught Toymaker live and took advantage of the chance to ask him.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #11 - 11/29/08 at 08:09:39

There is a ignition rev limiter stepping in at 164kph which is slightly above 6500 rpm, I never remember to ask the owner what rear tyre he's using. It is ignition limited because a/f ratio goes to filthy rich, bike slows down to 158kph, then speeds up briefly again. I can reach the limiter up to 3rd gear, not 4th or 5th although it wouldn't need a lot of work. For a long time I thought it would be valve float until the guy with the a/f meter and enough power to reach the limiter told me what actually happens.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 11/29/08 at 18:30:59

SV og LS wrote on 11/29/08 at 08:09:39:
There is a ignition rev limiter stepping in at 164kph which is slightly above 6500 rpm, I never remember to ask the owner what rear tyre he's using. It is ignition limited because a/f ratio goes to filthy rich, bike slows down to 158kph, then speeds up briefly again. I can reach the limiter up to 3rd gear, not 4th or 5th although it wouldn't need a lot of work. For a long time I thought it would be valve float until the guy with the a/f meter and enough power to reach the limiter told me what actually happens.

i need a few smaller words to figgure that explanation.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #13 - 11/30/08 at 02:18:40

sluggo wrote on 11/29/08 at 18:30:59:
SV og LS wrote on 11/29/08 at 08:09:39:

i need a few smaller words to figgure that explanation.

In practice, if someone tells you his/her Savage is faster than 164kph or thereabouts, he/she is either running a taller than stock gearing or he/she is pulling your leg. There's no spark above 164 kph in top or any other gear at that rpm.

IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #14 - 11/30/08 at 02:55:24

hell I WISH I could get anywhere close to 102 MPH.  on a GOODDAY I may hit 90.  most times 85.  my sons will do 95 or better all day long.
Sad

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 11:33:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rev Limiter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.