Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: A quick mock up...
Reply #15 - 03/15/06 at 23:31:06

The gas tank? C'mon Vroom, I thought you knew OLD bikes... Grin It's off a BSA from the 1960s. It's worth about $300 as it sits, I gave a customer $50 for it... Roll Eyes

The FL fender in question is a non-hinged version, very 1936-47 Knucklehead-esque.

Color? Same as the side panels, candy tangeringe over bronze micro-flake (metallic pearl). Probably a platinum pearl for the frame, maybe some tank scallops to match. If I go with a sprung solo, it would have to be a natural saddle tan leather, I really don't like what vinyl seats do to me bum... Tongue If I keep the shocks, I've got a fringed and studded black leather solo off an FXR that should bolt right on. Too early to sweat THAT detail. Still in the engineering stage for this thing.

Oh, and probably metalflake silver retro grips (bicycle type).

As for the currently exposed cables, um, no. I'll order a properly sized set from Lancer when the time comes.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 03/16/06 at 07:24:37

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
The gas tank? C'mon Vroom, I thought you knew OLD bikes... Grin
-WD

I know what I know, and that aint much!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 03/16/06 at 08:09:36

You can get reproduction British tanks now. I just chose to use a real Made in England one. Why buy Chinese parts when I can score the real deal cheap at work? If i go with the FL rear fender, it will mount on the swingarm. And so will the chick stick. Think Kawi Drifter 1500 if it is shocked, 800 Drifter if strutted... I really dislike the fender to tire gap as it stands now.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #18 - 03/16/06 at 08:33:53

Out of curiosity, since I think we're currently working along similar lines of thought...how difficult is that tank going to be to mount (granted, it's always harder than it looks like it will be...at least, that's the way it always goes for me)?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 03/16/06 at 09:57:23

Savage Librarian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Out of curiosity, since I think we're currently working along similar lines of thought...how difficult is that tank going to be to mount (granted, it's always harder than it looks like it will be...at least, that's the way it always goes for me)?

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Perry, tank fit is a piece of cake, Dremel off the frame lugs from the stock tank and it will fit as though made for it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #20 - 03/16/06 at 15:11:29

Yup...that's what I get for reading too quickly...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #21 - 03/16/06 at 16:54:28

The more I look, the better I like the ape-hangers. D@mn it...hanging out here gives too many things to try!!!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #22 - 03/16/06 at 19:11:15

clueless wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
The more I look, the better I like the ape-hangers. D@mn it...hanging out here gives too many things to try!!!

Man, I know that feeling.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 03/16/06 at 20:49:53

Clueless, trust me, THIS board is ratrher harmless... Tryt hanging out at The Horse board sometime, those guys are toony lunes... Roll Eyes Oh, wait, I hang out there... Grin

Apehangers on a Savage? Comfortable, relatively easy conversion (extend a few wires and get longer cables), goes well with the "retro" flavor of even otherwise stock Savages.

These bikes have loads of potential. Especially if you love to tinker like I do.  The Suzuki LS650 Savage, the best Matchless England never made...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 23:26:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A quick mock up...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.