Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Windshield (Read 23 times)
pgolden
Ex Member

Re: Windshield
Reply #15 - 03/14/06 at 07:24:37

A few years ago, I had a bumblebee go down my shirt and sting me. I wish I had a windshield that day.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 03/14/06 at 07:32:08

pgolden wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
A few years ago, I had a bumblebee go down my shirt and sting me. I wish I had a windshield that day.

Some days that happens and even a windshield won't help.  I hate that too.  Had a honeybee go up my right sleeve once and it shared its unhappiness.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #17 - 03/14/06 at 16:57:25

i have the suzuki "sport shield" on my s40 its only 15 "
or so above the head lite am looking to go taller and wider for next fall and sunny winter days(west slope colorado)..got less than 1k on the od done some 75+ i state runs and one 150 mile round trip hwy and canyon
run with period of givin her all the rein she wanted..(almost 90)
no helmet law here use a flydana or face mask(ski style)
or bennie or cap on backwards..if i wore a fullface helmet id forego the windshield.but lookin for a taller unit to hel[p keep my forehead out of the wind..40mph@ 40deg f= 27 deg...
in the late 70s early 80s i had a suzuki gt 550 had the windsheild which was a blessing in florida esp during luv bug season!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bikersloan
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/14/06 at 21:09:02

I have the Memphis Shades Pop Top. Cuts the wind off the chest well. I just bought the Big Shot but it hasn't arrived yet. Wanted bit more of the wind flow off the helmet. When it gets really hot here I will put the Pop Top back on. I find I can ride farther with less fatige with a windshield.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #19 - 03/15/06 at 12:45:43

I like the idea of a windshield, if you cruise at any speed beyond 55-60mph you'll need one. I like ther small ones, that take the punch out of the wind in your chest

This is GiVi's model 245A

This is GiVi's model 240A
In both cases the screens take the punch off your chest, but leave the wind in your hair.

Maurizio
PS sorry for the huge pics, I don't know how to resize them, they should be 450x450... how do I get them to be 200x200?

========================================

Maurizio,

Go into Modify on this post and look at the code.  You basically add width=200 height=200 to the opening img statement.  I hope this helps.

Rob

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #20 - 03/15/06 at 18:12:43

i had one....got rid of it. Rather have goggles or wrap arounds.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 04/05/06 at 13:06:50

Depends on the riding distance. For short rides - 20-40 miles or so - I'd rather not have one... for anything longer - absolutely.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #22 - 04/05/06 at 19:51:09

Have been riding behind an "enterprise' fairing by windjammer.  It's bigger and provides protection for the hands as well as torso and helmet (head).  Years ago, Had a bee land between my glasses and my eye.  It was too wacked to sting me I think, but it was the fastest stop ever made on route 128 near Boston.I took of my helmet, glasses and bailed off the bike in one "swift" motion. Cheesy  It was a honda 305 superhawk.  Straightened the handle bars, found glass and helmet, and after the shaking stopped, went on my way.
Will probably revert to "naked" for the Summer months.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #23 - 04/06/06 at 08:14:49

i made the switch this year on the harley. i have a little "spitfire" windshield on it now, which came with the bike, but only got installed recently, it clamps on to the handlebars. the first 6000 miles this year, including a 3000 mile roundtrip to oklahoma city, were run without. i have noticed a reduction in chest pressure from wind, which will reduce fatigue on longer rides. a reduction in bugs in the face, which is nice when riding without a lid. a slight increase in turbulance behind the 'shield, more noticeable when wearing a lid. we have lots of wind here, i have not noticed a difference in handling, but i have heard that larger windshields can cause a sail effect. i will probably order a "spitfire" for the wife's bike.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/06/06 at 08:27:13

All sportsbikes and tourers have fairings and what is a windshield if its not a cruisers fairing?  Don't have one yet but am biddding on one just now on the 'bay.  I want to make 50+ mile runs a little less buffeting and prone to bug splats so thought I'd try a small-ish screen.
First time I wore my open-face helmet some insect snuck up the inside and lodged, still alive and wiggly, in my left ear. That was weeks ago but it makes me itch again just thinking about it. Yuk.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #25 - 04/06/06 at 14:48:30

I have a Spitfire and so does #2 daughter. We love them, but we do live in Texas where the bugs are huge. The bikers around Lake Fork have to stop to clean the windshields because the bugs are so thick, but so do the cars. Grin
I feel like it eases the wind buffetting too

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
russ_g
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 04/06/06 at 18:22:24

I think a windshield highly depends on what type of riding you do and for how long.  My Savage is just a commuter and I rarely take it on the highway.  So a windshield isn't necessarly needed as I rarely get above 70 km.  I do have a windshield though and it does make the ride more comfortable in some aspects.  In others it can make it worse.  My windshield was not set up correctly at first and caused major vibration in my helmet above 70.  I had to adjust the angle slightly, but there's still some if I get up to 100.  Pluses and minuses to both.  I have the S40 windshield currently.  I'd like to find an quick off/on model that would look nice on the Savage.  Anyone know of one?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #27 - 04/06/06 at 19:44:54

Been using a windshield off and on now for two years. Like it cause it keeps the rocks, bugs and road crap out of my face. Don't like it because of the extra helmet noise it causes with my full face lid. Doesn't matter what angle I set it at, still causes a lotof noise at highway speed, had to start wearing ear plugs so I can hear after a long ride, not good. I think the windshield gives me a couple more miles per gallon on the highway but would rather eat bugs instead of blowing out my hearing. Planning to loose the windshield for the next long ride and see how it feels. A lot of helmet noise can really tire you out on a long trip, think I would rather have tired arms instead. Just my thoughts on it

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #28 - 04/07/06 at 10:08:49

Like Paladin, I use a National Cycle Flyscreen (e-bay special) and love it ... small enough that it does not take away from the minimalist looks of the Bike ... and when Riding at 80kph or above, it reduces the wind pressure on my chest & forearms ... thru trial and error, I've angled it so that incoming rounds (bugs) more often than not get caught in the slipstream and sail on over my head!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #29 - 04/07/06 at 10:55:16

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Been using a windshield off and on now for two years. Like it cause it keeps the rocks, bugs and road crap out of my face. Don't like it because of the extra helmet noise it causes with my full face lid. Doesn't matter what angle I set it at, still causes a lotof noise at highway speed, had to start wearing ear plugs so I can hear after a long ride, not good. I think the windshield gives me a couple more miles per gallon on the highway but would rather eat bugs instead of blowing out my hearing. Planning to loose the windshield for the next long ride and see how it feels. A lot of helmet noise can really tire you out on a long trip, think I would rather have tired arms instead. Just my thoughts on it

if you can't raise it or angle it enough to toss the air blast above your head it seems like it's too short to me - on both of the savages I can wear a baseball cap bill in the front upto at least 50mph. now on the other bike it's a different story it has a short little sport shield that catches about half the bugs the face shield get the rest - and no matter what I do it's just not going to cut it on long trips - a taller one is going on it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:22:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windshield

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.