Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Windshield (Read 23 times)
giom-650
Ex Member

Windshield
03/13/06 at 13:39:22

I'm thinking about getting a windshield for my Savage.
Is there any advantage to having a windshield? ???

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Windshield
Reply #1 - 03/13/06 at 13:42:20

Yes...BUGS & ROCKS

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/13/06 at 14:25:32

I use the National Cycle Street Shield on mine.  It does a really good job and isn't very expensive.  However, I am toying with changing over to the NC Dakota at some point in the future.

Click below to see the shield I'm talking about...

N2560 Street Shield

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 03/13/06 at 14:26:55

Let's see, bugs, rocks, road-yuck thrown up by vehicles in front of you, (a few weeks ago) diesel fuel spewed by a truck in front of me.  It'll also cut down on the cold in cold weather.  By the same token, it'll cut down on the breeze in hot weather.  I still prefer to keep mine on most of the time though.  It's just kept a lot of crap from hitting me in the past.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
magicfairy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/13/06 at 14:49:52

Thinking about fitting one for longer trips as I find in a strong head wind I feel like I am being pushed off the bike backwards. I got one for free when I bought the bike, but haven't used it.
Can anyone tell me how much difference it makes to handling, my other half who has a hayabusa keeps saying "it will be like having a sail on your bike, you will be pushed all over the place"

I live in a very windy city.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 03/13/06 at 15:06:47

I have a Flyshield -- cuts the wind on the lower chest and down to much reduce the "push off the bike" effect (which means less stress on grips to hold on.)

On my GS450E back in the '80's I had a Vetter Quicksilver fairing and a pocket of still air that allowed me to smoke a cigarette at 70 mph.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 03/13/06 at 15:56:16

windshields, like mag wheels belong on a cage.  Grin

if you need that type of comfort buy a convertible.  8)

in all my years of riding i have never felt like i was being pushed off the bike or that i've gotten tired because of the wind.  and yes i've been hit with lots of stuff.  birds, trash can lids, about 50 cig butts. it's a hazzard i tolerate to enjoy the environment.  i protect my head with a full face hemet most of the time.

just my opinion, it's like a ....... well you all know the rest of the statement.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #7 - 03/13/06 at 22:21:37

Believe it or not! When travel on freeway at 65+mph, it will keep your bike more stable(I think it push your front end down and wind away from your chest). I  have a rather small 15 1/2 "wind deflector, so it does not overwhelm the look the beast's front. This still give me the breeze when needed(sit up straight  Grin). my 0.02.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 03/14/06 at 05:21:57

It may depend on where live and ride - I like Rob find it's a great debris deflector - and some of the bugs along the gulf coast are what you might call full grown, wear armor , and carry spears.

IP Logged
giom-650
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/14/06 at 05:59:06

Good advise! Thanks for the tip 911radioman.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/14/06 at 06:51:13

yeah I think 911radioman's shield is one of the best I have seen but  Im still not into them tho.  Like sluggo I like the whole open wind idea.  I wear a full face helmet too.  It seems everytime I dont wear it a bug will hit me in the eye or ect.

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/14/06 at 06:58:53

Quote:
Believe it or not! When travel on freeway at 65+mph, it will keep your bike more stable(I think it push your front end down and wind away from your chest). I  have a rather small 15 1/2 "wind deflector, so it does not overwhelm the look the beast's front. This still give me the breeze when needed(sit up straight  ). my 0.02.

Ditto SavageDude.  The windshield I am presently using is just a bit larger, around 18".

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/14/06 at 07:02:49

I don't have a problem riding without a windshield, never have felt like I was going to be blown off the back of the bike or anything like that.  I guess I think the shield just makes for a more comfortable ride, so I use one.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 03/14/06 at 07:19:28

[ and ride - I like Rob find it's a great debris deflector - and some of the bugs along the gulf coast are what you might call full grown, wear armor , and carry spears.  

I hear that!!  

Years ago, while riding in Tennessee on I-40 I had a ...June Bug I presume...hit me dead center of my forehead.  At first I thought it was a walnut sized rock from a truck tire.  It hurt so bad that I could not see clearly, I had to pull over to the roadside and stop, and then wait about 15 minutes for my eyes to stop watering and my head to stop hurting enough so that I could think and see clearly.  I fully expected to find blood running down my face, but fortunately it was not so.

That bug was the worst hit I have ever taken on a bike in 40 years of riding.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 03/14/06 at 07:21:33

I haven't put a windshield on my Savage. When I started looking into doing it, I just wasn't going to be happy with the results - making a purse out of a pig's ear - I think was how one person described what I was trying to do.

I will say that having a windshield on my other MC brings up a whole new set of conditions. One that I have not noticed is that the windshield becomes a "sail." I think even with a real heavy quartering cross wind - and I've seen a lot of those in the past couple of weeks that the windshield is just a mild addition to the rider, and MC. You do have to deal with turbulence behind the shield (if you find yourself in this turbulence it's a lot like being buffeted around behind a truck only much faster I had to change my riding position to feel this, not enjoyable, but it confirmed that it's there, I'm just not riding in it when I'm in my "normal" riding position). My suggestion for this if you find yourself in this position, modify the shield not your riding position (unless you think your riding position is bad). The upside of the windshield is that it allows you to ride in a cushion or bubble which in winter is great. Without the windshield, I don't think I would have been able to ride all winter. I also noticed the other day that it does keep the bugs off of you - must be spring, I had to clean my windshield after riding the other day.
One thing that I noticed on a lot of the "add on" shields is that they attach to the forks rather than the MC. That's one of the reasons that I didn't add one to the Savage. I could see fighting the handlebars in a cross wind as being very tiring.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:27:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windshield

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.