Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speedometer cable gasket and odd noise (Read 5 times)
JLudwig
Ex Member

Speedometer cable gasket and odd noise
03/13/06 at 10:16:41

Hello all, first post, been lurking and searching, thanks for a great board. I've been trying to hunt down an odd sound, it almost sounds like my clutch plates are slipping, it's a metallic sound. Some details:

1. '04 Savage with 3700 miles on it.

2. The sound occurs at speeds above 30mph, but only when the clutch is engaged. If I stay on the throttle and keep the clutch in, there isn't a noise. This leads me to believe its in the drive train somewhere, not the engine.

This weekend I got around to my first bit of DIY maintainence. I moved to a thicker oil (20W50) thinking that might help if its clutchs plates, also adjusted decompression cable and valve cleareance, and threw a new spark plug in there.

In the process I dropped the tiny little gasket at the end of the speedo cable under my starter motor. First, could someone possibly give me the dimension of that gasket and a stab at what material would work (will any rubber hold up down there)? I was hoping to find one at Sears hardward, Ron Ayers doesnt seem to list the part.

Secondly, what could I check next for the noise? I just saw it a previous post that it may be the speedo cable? For what its worth it seems to have gotten worse after I lost the gasket. Any other suggestions? I can't image my clutch plates or spring are worn and it doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping. Perhaps just a spurious vibration that only occurs when something in the gear box is rotating?

Thanks,
Jeff, Elkton, MD

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Speedometer cable gasket and odd noise
Reply #1 - 03/13/06 at 10:26:26

The speedo rattle is a known problem with the savage.  However, I do not know the fix...  I seem to recall a different speedo gasket was invloved, but I'm not sure.  Try using the search feature and set it for 700 days...

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Speedometer cable gasket and odd noise
Reply #2 - 03/15/06 at 05:02:50

JLudwig wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
In the process I dropped the tiny little gasket at the end of the speedo cable under my starter motor. First, could someone possibly give me the dimension of that gasket and a stab at what material would work (will any rubber hold up down there)? I was hoping to find one at Sears hardward, Ron Ayers doesnt seem to list the part.

Thanks,
Jeff, Elkton, MD

First welcome to the board.

To recover the gasket I suggest to remove the startermotor. It is attached with the 2 bolts only. Most of us have a rubber "O"-ring installed that fits the curled nut.
For the noise as you describe it I would check the drive belt for proper alignment and tension and while you're at it check the belt cover on the LH side, the one that covers the forward belt pulley if it does not rub on the pulley.

Greetz

Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 01:27:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speedometer cable gasket and odd noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.