Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need some ideas/input, a little puzzled... (Read 3 times)
911radioman
Ex Member

Need some ideas/input, a little puzzled...
03/13/06 at 08:56:17

I noticed today that my header pipe and even my MAC muffler is turning a honey/gold color.  The MAC muffler is turning back near the heat shield that covers the muffler/header pipe connection, while the header pipe is golden color at least all the way down to the second bend.

Here are my mods, so you can tell me if anything else needs to be done -- I'm a little puzzled as to why the muffler itself would change to this color.

152.5 main jet
1/2 white spacer
idle mix screw out 1 1/2 turns
K&N drop in filter
Desnorkel
MAC slip-on muffler

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: Need some ideas/input, a little puzzled...
Reply #1 - 03/13/06 at 09:56:23

Silencers change color where there is an internal restriction.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/13/06 at 09:58:45

The pipe is wide open all the way through.  It's just that the whole exhaust system is trying to turn golden color.  Doesn't seem normal to me.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 03/13/06 at 10:24:41

Doesn't a gold discoloration on the header pipe usuaully mean it is lean?  Blue means rich, I believe.  Maybe your pilot is too small...

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/13/06 at 10:36:39

I think its the other way around.  Blue = lean, gold, from what I am reading, seems to be acceptable.  What I can't figure is why it is happening the entire length of the pipe, even onto the muffler...

I don't see how I could be lean, going from a stock 145 main jet to a 152.5 main jet.  The engine responds well to the idle mixture screw, so I know my pilot jet is OK as is.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 03/13/06 at 11:09:31

Actually both indicate enough heat to discolor the chrome.  Gold/honey will happen first and then continue into blue with enough additional heat.  Some chrome is thinner than other chrome which will allow it to turn more easilt too.  In many instances, the excess heat is due to a lean condition.  I toyed with using a header wrap on mine at one point which helps to keep the heat inside the exhaust system.  In doing so, it blued my header greatly and began to blue my MAC where it had no discoloration before at all.  I've since removed the wrap and painted my header and muffler black.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #6 - 03/13/06 at 11:16:39

All the Suzuki pipes will color. They are basically single wall tubing. Expensive exhaust systems use double wall tubing - they still color...you just can't see it.

Gold is the sign of a good burn. Blue means you're lean and running too hot.

If you have doubts about your jetting, read your plug after killing the engine at WOT (main jet) and midrange cruise (needle and needle jet).

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/13/06 at 12:56:09

I went back out and looked it over closer.  The gold color reaches just past the first bend, so it doesn't extend as far down the header pipe as I originally thought.

The gold color on the muffler is right at the heat shield, and I'm wondering if it developed because I didn't wipe the pipe down after installing/handling it before I started it the first time after installation?  The reason I wonder about that, is because it is just in one small spot on the muffler itself.  I think I can take some Blue Job I have and take care of that pretty easily.

So, all in all, I guess my discoloration isn't as bad as I originally thought, so all may be well after all.

Thanks for all the input though.

On a sidenote...  I went out for about an hours ride this morning in between thunderstorms, and I found a nice, straight, dry stretch of highway and opened it wide open.  First time I had done it since doing all the mods.  The Savage hit 98 mph in no time flat!!! Cheesy  I could have probably coaxed a bit more out of it, but I was running out of straightaway and I found out what I really needed to know -- that I had plenty of reserve for passing if need be.  Plus, I had a bit of throttle left over, so I'd say 100 will be easily attainable (not that I need it)!

Probably the only other thing I intend to do soon is switch over to 20W-50 instead of the recommended 10W-40 oil.  I use Castrol GTX and it seems to do very well.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 03/13/06 at 13:25:06

Skin oils can discolor it too.  Try some Blue-Job on the muffler.  It's takes a bit of elbow grease but it works.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 03/13/06 at 13:58:26

The stock header pipe is a double wall pipe, though not a very good one.  The inner pipe has only a 1.3" ID, which is very restrictive.  Anything that can be done which keeps the heat in the exhaust longer will aid in the exhaust scavenging effect...as in the use of header wrap, or ceramic coating, etc.

On the fuel octane issue, unless I misunderstand, the difference between the various octane levels is just the amount of anti-detonation additives which are placed in the fuel.   Why would that cause more carbon deposits with a higher octane fuel?

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/13/06 at 14:22:11

Well, I just went over the muffler with some Blue-Away.  Seems to have taken that off.  Maybe it was from skin oils, as it was just in that one particular spot.  So, I'll keep a watch on it and see how it goes.

I guessed I missed the fuel octane discussion somewhere!  I have always heard and been advised to use regular 87 octane, as it really doesn't benefit to use the mid/premium grades.  However, I kinda got a feeling that this sparks just as passionate a debate as dino vs. synthetic oils! Cheesy

IP Logged
Curz
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - 03/13/06 at 15:12:28

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Doesn't a gold discoloration on the header pipe usuaully mean it is lean?  Blue means rich, I believe.  Maybe your pilot is too small...

Both gold and blue mean to lean. The difference is by how much.  When the pipe runs a little hotter (slightly lean) it turns gold. If it runs excessively hot (extra lean) it starts to turn blue.

Curz....
  IP Logged
orrin7
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/13/06 at 16:12:22

it would be kind of hard to convince me that you can accuratly tune an engine by the color of the pipe. there are too many variables , chrome, oils, pipe steel, etc.  also reading a plug is almost an exact science to do it correctly. there again you have too many variables. throttle position , rpm , ignition, and previous use on plug such as idleing and choke at crank up. the only true way to tell is a dyno with an o2 sensor. i read plugs and tune for a living and even in the racing industry we are getting away from "plug checks" as they are called. and to be honest there are very few people even in my industry that know how to read a plug correctly.
basically if you have no access to a dyno then all you have is to go off recommendations from this site , which i must say are very good and informative. 99% of everything i read here helps me a great deal and when ever i ask a question i get great advice. bottom line almost all pipes blue and all mufflers turn a color where fuel "puddles" whether stainless,chrome , or enkonel.
i hope i did not offend anyone and i hope you enjoy your bike as i am

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/13/06 at 16:18:04

Interesting observation.  Where does one have to go to do a dyno test?  I'd love to find one around here and put the Savage on it just to see how close I actually am adjustment-wise.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #14 - 03/13/06 at 17:18:23

orrin,
Love hearing different point of views. I am mechanical, but not a mechanic. I am a technical person, so I love the ins and outs of tuning. Not a science, but more an art form. As is much of the technical world. Welcome!!!

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 11:19:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need some ideas/input, a little puzzled...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.