Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need some ideas/input, a little puzzled... (Read 3 times)
Les

Re: Need some ideas/input, a little puzzled...
Reply #15 - 03/13/06 at 17:49:44

Smiley While i agree the engine shows blue close to the head is  lean you really need to always add fuel and go to the safe(Rich) side.  Then when it hates the fuel go back a step. Engine burn temp is also a result of load and have seen times when more fuel will raise exhaust temp the engine was lean and exhaust temp was hi to start with and again added fuel till the exhaust temp settled . Does this seem right remember the engine needs 4 things to run all can affect the exhaust temp. Les

IP Logged
orrin7
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/13/06 at 18:43:43

les has made a very good point about , load and also being safe by going rich and then backing up. also one thing that will plauge the single cylinder engine is by it being a single cylinder it does not have quite the efficient secondary exhaust scavenge such as a multiple cylinder engine. so the exhaust gasses actually sort of build up and combust. creating heat in the pipe which is why you will have bluing in spots of restriction. probully one of the best things we could do to these bikes is put a two inch header pipe and then neck it down to 1 3/4 just before the muffler to create a sort of choke spot.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #17 - 03/14/06 at 04:57:58

I'd go for a min. of 1.5" i.d. all the way to the silencer and use a silencer big enough that allows a step up in diameter from the header size.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 03/14/06 at 06:41:04

And what Les was saying is what I've understood to be the basic rule of thumb for tuning a carb.  For each circuit, give her juice til she starts to gag and then back off a bit.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #19 - 03/14/06 at 07:14:30

I'd love to have access to a dyno in the areas where my toys live but just do not. So the butt dyno and plug reads has to stay on my list of things to get an engine in the ballpark. When I get down to doing it proper it takes at least a half dozen new plugs to do it, and a tach - so the champion's at a $1.15 from the auto store are what I use and toss um. It's really not that hard of a read to get in the ballpark on this engine compared to a 2stroke where your working oil in the mixture as well.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #20 - 03/14/06 at 07:16:59

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I'd go for a min. of 1.5" i.d. all the way to the silencer and use a silencer big enough that allows a step up in diameter from the header size.

Clive W  Cheesy

I've got a single wall with a megaphone, just waiting on a head to port Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 13:27:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need some ideas/input, a little puzzled...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.