Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Buying new 2006 S40 with questions. (Read 5 times)
Joe H.

Buying new 2006 S40 with questions.
03/12/06 at 13:56:02

I'm buying a new S40 and would like to know anything you guys have to offer on breaking in a new engine.  Procedures, advice, etc...

Shoud I make the carb mod to eliminate the notorious backfire before or after breakin?  I'm into R/C vehicles kinda big and I know a richer engine runs cooler (2 cycle anyway).  Wouldn't this be better for breakin and longer engine life.

Will they do this when I buy the bike, or will it void my warranty etc?  If so, should I go ahead and have the jet changed also?  I will be changing the stock exhaust to a sportster or a HD pipe later.

So many questions...but I will stop here for now.

Thanks in advance,

Joe H.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Buying new 2006 S40 with questions.
Reply #1 - 03/12/06 at 14:05:24

I'd plan to do your mods after the 600 mile check up if I were you. Any problems you might have should be evident by then. You might have a problem getting warranty work with the mods. I don't know if a dealer would perform the mods that are described here. They might have less problem with a Dynojet jet kit. Some dealerships won't do rejetting - something about the EPA  Roll Eyes

You'll be fine breaking the bike in with the stock jetting. The best thing I could recommend would be frequent oil changes during break-in. There's alot of metallic junk floating around during the break-in procedure.

After break-in, don't hesitate to do the mods. They make a big difference in how the bikes perform. Yes, they'll run cooler and last longer with proper jetting.

Enjoy your new bike  Grin

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 03/12/06 at 16:15:10

bought my s 40 jan 30th..got just over 880 miles on her
did a oil and filter change @ 300 miles add a magnetic drain plug at that time.did the dyno jet mod and hd muff
before 300 miles..just had the stealership do my 600(yes i was over by 150)1 1/2 hour labor oil and filter lubed and adjusted cables,tightened spokes(?) checked charging system and battery changed plug...$127.00..never checked valves tho a least not shown on work order..\
had the seat and tank off this week end(snowing here and wiring relay for aux lights)add the drop in k&n and did the snorkel re move...
the dealer macs had my clutch and throttle cable in the wrong place right in the center instead off along the rails
so the seat smashed the outside some and they sctatched the hell out of the frame at the tank and the seat!!
back to topic im a firm believer in ride it like you stoled it
( got to mototune usa and read break in secrets)
years ago after a top end rebuild the mac took me for a ride to "break" it in got it rapped up in third and backed
off.."now your rings are set" he said..the guy @ mototune talks along those same lines..this is a highly debated topic...and its your baby!!have fun i really enjoy mine Smiley

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Joe H.

Reply #3 - 03/12/06 at 17:31:11

Thanks a lot guys, but I have more questions.

I should run premium gas right, and what oil do you recommend.

I'm a big believer in full synthetic.  I run it in my car and notice slightly lower temp and the oil isn't "burnt" when I change it.

Also what's the best plug money can buy?  Hey I only need one!

Any more advice about breakin?

Thanks,

Joe H.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 03/12/06 at 18:36:00

I run premium fuel because it is less prone to detonation.  An air cooled engine gets hot and anything to avoid detonation is a very good thing.

I also like the synthetic oils and use Amsoil motorcycle oil...not problems with the clutch slipping.

For the spark plug I use NGK Iridium.  I now include it with all carb kits that I sell.

Not long ago I read an article done by an mechanical engineer (worked on bike engines) who said that during breakin an engine should occasionally be opened up (3/4-full throttle) for a few seconds.  This will increase the cylinder pressure and the result will be that the rings will be forced  out into contact with the cylinder walls more fully and will seat better and more quickly.  
Makes sense to me.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 03/13/06 at 05:22:43

The oil will be a contentious issue amongst riders and it really should take into account your climate and riding style.  I live in the Dallas area and often ride at 70+ MPH on the freeway.  I am currently using Maxum 4 Extra pure synthetic 15W50 and have observed no clutch slippage.  I also use the NGK Iridium plug.

Oh, on the fuel grade... I use the mid-grade just to cut down on the possibility of preignition, especially in Texas heat.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Capt._Capsize
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/13/06 at 06:50:48

With a 8:1 compression ratio, I think you are wasting money running hi test gas.  Also you are more prone to carbon fouling the piston, plug, valves and exhaust port.  It will run better and more efficiently on regular.  I also ride a Honda Magna with a 10.5:1 ratio and it gets regular gas also.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 03/13/06 at 11:11:54

owners man on 06 s 40 calls for 87 octane ,thats mid grade here,,amsoil is a great product i run in my other bikes wouldnt use till after 1 k imo..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 03/13/06 at 11:19:09

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
owners man on 06 s 40 calls for 87 octane ,thats mid grade here,,

Run 87 octane and when it gets seriously hot maybe 89 octane. There's no need to run high test. Your bike will actually run better on regular.

IP Logged
giom-650
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/13/06 at 12:59:03

I have a 2002 Savage. I suggest you put about 1400 miles on it, that is 2 oil changes. Then change to synthetic oil, Mobil 1 or Amsoil. Grin
Next put a SuperTrapp muffler on it, and you will experience an amazing improvement. Use 6 discs.
After you do that, you should up-jet the carb using a dynajet kit. Dynajet provides good instructions. The re-jet will keep the pipes cooler and avoid bluing. With the dynajet kit, you can upjet even further than I have and use 12 discs. I use the 144 jet and 8 discs.
Mine has a mid-range torque peak that feels like a supercharger kicking in. It also has much better sound. Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 03/13/06 at 13:27:44

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
owners man on 06 s 40 calls for 87 octane ,thats mid grade here,,amsoil is a great product i run in my other bikes wouldnt use till after 1 k imo..

Here, 87 is low, 89 is mid and 93 is high.  I use the 89 as a habit because it's the only thing I want to use in hot weather.  I only use 93 if the 89 isn't available.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #11 - 03/13/06 at 14:14:49

On my '06 I did the white spacer mod, 1.25 turns out from stock on the idle mix screw, and went up to a 152.5 main jet all before the 600 mile break in.  The stock set up is lean...period.  So getting a bit more fuel into the system is fine.  Plus it's really nothing the dealer will notice during the check up.  After 600 I put on the sportster muffler and removed the air snorkle.  I may have voided my warranty with the muffler change, but I don't expect to have any issues before my 12 months is up.  

I always use high test gas (91-93), and notice better performance with it than with 87...I notice less backfiring with high test which makes sence to me because you end up burning more fuel per cycle than with 87...more fuel burnt = richer condition = less backfiring.  I've never experienced increased plug fouling with high test gas...I'll need to look into that...as I understand the science (and maybe I don't Undecided) carbon build up should be less with high test, that's why you put it in older (even low compression) engines that may have carbon build-up from years of low octane gas.  The $$ for a couple gallons of 87 vs 92 is minimal.  Carbon build-up comes from fuel that is unable to burn in the speed of the combustion cycle, high test burns slower within that combustion moment, therefore more complete combustion, therefore less build-up.

I, in no way, believe that anyone should use high test, I just choose to for these reasons... Roll Eyes

I'm always interested and willing to learn about the physics of the combustion moment, so if I have this wrong ???, please educationalize me Grin

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 03/13/06 at 14:37:48

In short, you want your combustion moment (ignition) determined by when you apply spark.  However, preignition (commonly known as engine knock) can occur if the combination of temperature and pressure (compression) are enough.  This would be timed other that when you want it, so we'll define it as bad.  Higher octane contains additives to retard preignition, requiring higher compression and/or temperatures to achieve it.  Typically, you really only want to use it with high-compression engines or high temperatures (or both)... not that it would hurt anything to use it when it's not needed.  It just costs more.

Anyone want to correct my layman's explanation?

SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #13 - 03/13/06 at 14:55:57

I think you're dead on about compression Savage_Rob...but I was under the impression that there was more to high-test fuel than avoiding detonation.

I also had been told, back in my days of working on air-cooled Porsche engines that the combustion moment is often thought of as an explosion, but should be thought of as a burning.  The fuel that explodes (low test) does so in an instant and when the explosion happens so fast, some of the fuel is not used.  High test fuel is more slow burning and allows all the fuel in the cylinder to be burnt in that moment.  Remember that we're talking about fractions of fractions of seconds here and the difference in time is really a physics discussion, but reality nonetheless.

So - less risk of detonation and cleaner burning, all for less than 50 cents more a tank...I think I'll stick with it until I learn some more...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #14 - 03/13/06 at 15:13:36

So now after doing some additional reading (on the internet, so I know it's true! Wink)  I have to admit I'm as confused as ever about "The Truth About Octane" ???.  
Seems there are a great number of opinions out there!
I'm going to try gasing up with 87 for a couple tanks and see if I notice a difference.  I did notice a difference last time I went to 87, that's why I went back up to 92...but I'm going to try it again...Any chemists on the board?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 05:20:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buying new 2006 S40 with questions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.