Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Buying new 2006 S40 with questions. (Read 5 times)
Taz

Bikes and boats,
Yeah!

Re: Buying new 2006 S40 with questions.
Reply #15 - 03/13/06 at 15:59:52

I picked up my new S40 Saturday. Have 137 miles on her so far.
No backfiring problem yet at all.
Filled her up twice with regular (87 octane,) once at 50 miles and again at 100 miles. I plan to fill her up again at the 200 mark.
I changed the oil as soon as I got the bike home and installed the magnetic drain plug. Have saddlebags installed now. The S40 looks and runs sharp.
I don't plan on doing any carb, engine, exhaust, etc. mods unless I feel some problem with the original equipment. So far that is not the case. She looks, sounds and runs great. I'm a happy camper.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 03/14/06 at 06:21:05

Taz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I picked up my new S40 Saturday. Have 137 miles on her so far.
No backfiring problem yet at all.
Filled her up twice with regular (87 octane,) once at 50 miles and again at 100 miles. I plan to fill her up again at the 200 mark.
I changed the oil as soon as I got the bike home and installed the magnetic drain plug. Have saddlebags installed now. The S40 looks and runs sharp.
I don't plan on doing any carb, engine, exhaust, etc. mods unless I feel some problem with the original equipment. So far that is not the case. She looks, sounds and runs great. I'm a happy camper.

Congratulations!  She's your bike.  You should only modify her to suit you; not anyone else.  Save the money for fuel and other consumables and enjoy!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/14/06 at 06:41:43

Just wanted to throw in my two bits that the Savage '04 owner's manual specifically says to use regular. When I told my friend with a Harley this, he was dismayed because he would rather use regular but is supposed to use premium.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 03/14/06 at 06:55:02

cigaro wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Just wanted to throw in my two bits that the Savage '04 owner's manual specifically says to use regular.

Hmm, mine says regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 87 (and specifies the calculation method) as well as no more than 15% MTBE and no more than 10% ethanol.  In that context, regular just means no special formulations or simply "normal".  I remember when regular generally meant it wasn't unleaded but you still had multiple grades available.  The minimum octane level is the part that determines which grade you use and is a statement from the manufacturer of the lowest grade the engine is designed to operate with under normal conditions without adverse effects.  In my area, the lowest grade is 87 octane but I go with one grade higher to avoid knocking in hot weather.  It's kind of like the weight oil you choose can differ with climate and driving conditions... at least that's the way I see it.

Just a fun note: If I understand the history correctly, gasoline was originally basically unleaded and engines had lots of knocking and pinging.  Though it was harmful, it was basically normal, though it kept compression levels relatively low.  Then  in the 1920s some guys at GM discovered that adding tetraethyl lead to fuel reduced/stopped that and allowed higher compression and more power.  GM, DuPont and Standard Oil concealed/supressed the harmful effects of the additive and "Ethyl" gas became a big hit in the 30s.  In the 70s (once they had viable alternative additives and better alloys), TEL was banned.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #19 - 03/14/06 at 17:16:51

I think I can help you out with the "voiding the warranty" question. I was told by Suzuki, when I called about a warranty issue for a customer, that you can make modifications to the machine (within reason of course), but if a warranty issue came up with the machine and it was found that the modification played a role in the machine breaking down then it would not be covered under warranty. Now another person may tell you different but that's what I was told  by Suzuki.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #20 - 03/14/06 at 18:41:27

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
....Just a fun note: If I understand the history correctly, gasoline was originally basically unleaded and engines had lots of knocking and pinging.  Though it was harmful, it was basically normal, though it kept compression levels relatively low.  Then  in the 1920s some guys at GM discovered that adding tetraethyl lead to fuel reduced/stopped that and allowed higher compression and more power.  GM, DuPont and Standard Oil concealed/supressed the harmful effects of the additive and "Ethyl" gas became a big hit in the 30s.  In the 70s (once they had viable alternative additives and better alloys), TEL was banned.

http://www.ethyl.com/About+Ethyl/Our+History.htm
Quote:
Ethyl also has a significant interest in the tetraethyl lead (TEL) business through marketing agreements with Associated Octel Company Limited.  This sunset business continues to generate strong cash flow for the company.
TEL was banned as a gasoline additive in the U.S.  because of lead emmisions.  It is still used in other countries.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #21 - 03/14/06 at 23:56:02

CHRIS wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I think I can help you out with the "voiding the warranty" question. I was told by Suzuki, when I called about a warranty issue for a customer, that you can make modifications to the machine (within reason of course), but if a warranty issue came up with the machine and it was found that the modification played a role in the machine breaking down then it would not be covered under warranty. Now another person may tell you different but that's what I was told  by Suzuki.

that jives with what my dealer (motor cycle that is) told me when i discussed an exhaust change.  he said just changing the muffler would not void warrenty.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 07:32:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buying new 2006 S40 with questions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.