Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wont Start (Read 7 times)
mooney
Ex Member

Wont Start
03/12/06 at 13:29:06

Hey guys, im new to the site and i have to say that it's great!!!  I have an 86 Savage and it has been setting most of the winter,  I started it a couple of times but that was about it.  I tried to start it up the other day because warm weather is starting up around here and couldnt wait to get out and ride a little.  The bike started after a few tries and idled just for a few seconds then died.  I am getting spark at the plug, fuel is coming out of the petcock as it should, i checked the air filter and even tried cranking it with the filter out.....nothing.  After a few minutes of trying to crank it,  it let out a nice little backfire, but the thing wont start up.  Could you please help me out.  Thanks.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Re: Wont Start
Reply #1 - 03/12/06 at 13:32:08

Stale gas?  Carb gunked up?

IP Logged
mooney
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/12/06 at 13:34:26

Drained the old gas, and filled it up with fresh.  I havent messed with the carb because I dont know a lot about bike mechanics.  If you could give me a few tips it would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/12/06 at 13:46:39

My gut tells me it's probably gunked up as you mentioned that you drained the old gas.  If, when putting it in storage, you didn't add Stabil (or the like) to it, you could very well have varnish in the carb.

Do a search on carb cleaning or some other keywords and I'm sure there are plenty of threads out there.  I do know you'll want to probably pull the bowl off the bottom of the carb and clean out the main jet and the pilot jet with a small piece of wire.

Let's see what some of the other guys here can weigh in on before you go that route though.  I'm just rattling off what I think it could possibly be.

IP Logged
mooney
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/12/06 at 13:55:56

Thanks for the help.  I had talked to a couple of my buddies and they had said the same thing, carb problems, but i thought id look around and see what i could find.  Thanks again for the help.

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/12/06 at 13:58:59

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

That thread may help a bit, explains some carb cleaning techniques

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #6 - 03/12/06 at 14:12:08

Add some Sea Foam carb cleaner (available at auto parts) to the gas at the proper ratio. Rap on the float bowl (the bottom of the carb) with the handle of a screwdriver a few times. This will free up sticking floats. Drain the float bowl a few times to flush out the old varnished gas. There's an easily accessable drain screw on the bottom of the carb. You'll have to put the petc0ck in "Prime" to refill the float bowl. Fuel won't flow unless the engine is running in the other two positions.

This may get you going again.

Good luck  Smiley

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #7 - 03/12/06 at 14:23:46

I think I had the same problem earlier, apparently a stuck float needle. Dynobob's suggestions worked for me.

BTW, I ended up disassembling the carb to mod it.  So I ended up cleaning the carb anyway.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
mooney
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/12/06 at 15:19:18

I just pulled the carb and it seems to be pretty clean actually.  I ran a piece of wire through the jets and they seem to be clear.  I am going to try some sea foam tomorrow, im keeping my fingers crossed here.  Thanks for the help everybody.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #9 - 03/12/06 at 15:34:33

If you aren't charging the battery between attempts to start the MC you might want to do that.

Make sure the battery is full also.

IP Logged
mooney
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/13/06 at 17:01:55

Well I took the carb apart and cleaned everything with carb cleaner.  Everything ran through the carb, clean, and all of the holes and jets also ran through clean.  Still not starting though.  I put the petcock on prime to re-fill the fuel bowl and everything and im still getting the same thing.  Im getting a little worried here.  Someone help me!!!

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/13/06 at 17:44:02

this may help... plenty of good suggestions in it.  But i definatly agree with what Greg says in this thread. find the problem and then fix it, instead of fixing everything hoping to fix the problem as well.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

if it aint broke dont fix it.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 03/14/06 at 05:58:07

Take a volt meter and measure your battery - if it's under 12.3V my '02 will not start - it takes more than that to fire the ign proper.

In looking over my notes I wish I could get more precise on this required voltage business but I just don't the type of adjustable power supply needed to nail it down - so all i have is this - it will spark some and crank some at 12.3V but it will not run - at 12.8v and above it fires up quickly. Of course this .5v spread reps a lot of difference in the condition of the battery.

So after 24hours of no charger to the battery to allow the float to burn off - measure it - if it's on the lower side I'd replace the thing.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #13 - 03/14/06 at 09:52:45

USCG Cremeans wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

Yes, Don's bike had a weak battery preventing his bike from starting. Not enough juice for the ignition to work properly.

When a bike sits idle for six months or more, there is a good chance the gas has begun to turn to varnish in the float bowl. My original post didn't suggest opening up the carb but suggested some easy ways to free up the jets and float valve from the outside.

The battery is the second thing to check.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 03/14/06 at 10:04:35

Dynobob, at 6 months you may be giving more credit to modern gasoline's quality than it's due - couldn't agree more it will turn fairly quick, drained some out of a boat tank the other day that looked like orange juice- nasty stuff - 6 or 7 months from the fillup - but the dealer may have had it a while.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 09:38:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wont Start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.