Cruising Speed? (Read 24 times)
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Re: Cruising Speed?
Reply #15 - 03/12/06 at 17:07:55

cigaro wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Let us know if you find the pipe that sounds better without having to re-jet.  I wouldn't mind doing that, but I was under the impression that if you changed one you had to change the carb, too.  Isn't that the case?

Supertrapp claims that you can switch out the pipe w/o rejetting.  Mine sounds WAYYYYYY better with the Supertrapp.  But, I did rejet.  I am getting a little gold on the pipe.  So,  I must need to make some adjustment.  I did 152.5, 1/2 white spacer, 5 discs in the  supertrapp.  I thought I'd run it with the 152.5 and see what happened.

I rode today between 70-75 on the interstate.  No problems, sounded a little wierd.  For me mostly it's nerves.  I just started riding last year.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #16 - 03/12/06 at 17:13:22

bikingb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I am getting a little gold on the pipe.  So,  I must need to make some adjustment.

The only place mine has colored is on the end cap to the disks. A nice gold color. Gold isn't so bad - it's blue that you need to worry about. I run a 157.5 main jet with mine. Gas mileage is good. Power is great.

I don't care what Supertrapp says. You should rejet.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #17 - 03/12/06 at 17:35:50

The bikes cruise nice at 70-75. In the SW You have to keep at leat this speed to be able to stay on the hwy. No problems with higher speeds, but the gas-milage goes down significantly. No worries about "blowing " the engine.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #18 - 03/12/06 at 17:49:12

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
The only place mine has colored is on the end cap to the disks. A nice gold color. Gold isn't so bad - it's blue that you need to worry about. I run a 157.5 main jet with mine. Gas mileage is good. Power is great.

I don't care what Supertrapp says. You should rejet.

I hear ya' I think mine was much better on the highway today.  Mine is mostly gold on the end as well.  A little blue at the beginning of the head pipe.  It may have been that way before.  But, I thought I cleaned it up when I made the changes.  

It is a fun process!

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/12/06 at 19:54:11

If your hubby can ride 80-85 mph, he is brave enough to change your jet. You will be really surprised at the power the bike can make with just a jet change, white spacer mod and performance exhaust.

IP Logged
Capt._Capsize
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 03/13/06 at 07:11:01

Allow me to put in my 2 cents.  Rejet and spacer mod and tweak low speed jet should be done even if you don't change the muffler.  It will run better and cooler if done.  Changing muffler without doing it will shorten engine life.  I recommend a Harley Sporster muffler and a 6" piece of exaust pipe with a 10 degree bend.  Have any muffler shop bend and flare tubing for you.  Get muffler at most any INDEPENDENT Vtwin shop for 15 to 25 bucks.  You can probably get a chrome exhaust shield to cover the pipe extention where you get the muffler.  Good luck and be safe.  PS, I don't recommend riding the interstate on your Savage, I won't do it. Also if you select the correct muffller it will bolt up to the Savage mount with just a little bending on the bike bracket, piece of cake.

IP Logged
HotFix
2004 No Login

2001 Savage

Metro Atlanta
Reply #21 - 03/13/06 at 09:51:14

I ride on the 'I' all the time.  65mph was enough for me until I got a windshiled.  Now I'm around 75-80mph.  The Savage is alight bike the wind will really move you at that speed.  I ride 90mph on my 700 pound bike with no problems.

2008 Honda ST1300
2005 Honda VTX 1300 C (sold)
2001 Suzuki Savage (sold)
  IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #22 - 03/13/06 at 10:12:01

I ride interstate frequently with the fellow 800's and no problems.  Before rejetting and new muffler it did feel a little tight at 70 but now it cruises freely, almost like I got an extra gear.  Longest Interstate ride was OH to northern NC, bike did very well. Smiley

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 03/13/06 at 16:00:58

Most of my riding is country roads and state highways.  On the country roads, 40-45 mph.  Highways I like to run about 55-60 mph.  Interstates (when I do go on them) about 70-75.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #24 - 03/14/06 at 06:25:26

I regularly do 70+ on the freeway because that's the speed of the flow and she has no troubles with that.  However, my preferred speed is probably about 60.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 19:25:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cruising Speed?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.