Send Topic Print
Cruising Speed? (Read 24 times)
650savagegirl
Ex Member

Cruising Speed?
03/11/06 at 16:48:21

Just a few questions I had...
1. What is "redline" on the 650?  
2. What speeds is it capable of without damage!
3. Does anyone ride interstate on their 650?

Thanks in advance!!  Kiss

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Cruising Speed?
Reply #1 - 03/11/06 at 17:06:02

650savagegirl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Just a few questions I had...
1. What is "redline" on the 650?  

Thanks in advance!!  Kiss

i find interstate riding no problem. i've racked up two 80+ mph infractions this past riding season.

top speed upright is about 86. prone i've gotten 95 mph.

many here feel comfortable in the 60 mph range.

but then again, i'm not like everyone else. duh... Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #2 - 03/11/06 at 17:28:36

I've read here that the engine redline is 6500 rpm.  

It will cruise at 60 with no problem.

I've never had mine on the Interstate.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 03/11/06 at 17:37:55

I've blasted down the slab on mine at 70-75 no problems for miles in WA, OR and Idaho and I have a full fairing, hard bags and am/was a big guy. I move into the right side of the lane on B roads when meeting trucks and motorhomes with a flat front as the wind blast is noticeable.  Mileage does go down some when running this fast/hard or into a wind from head ahead to 90 degrees each way. Tail winds a blessing.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #4 - 03/11/06 at 18:28:34

Rode the interstate at least 2 hrs today. I cruise at 65-70-75, whatever traffic requires. Wind it up- let it go.

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #5 - 03/11/06 at 19:18:35

650savagegirl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

Run it as fast as you care to. You won't hurt it.

Quote:

All the time. Cruising at 70mph is no problem for the Savage. Don't let the rpms fool you. They're quite content at 60-70.

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #6 - 03/11/06 at 22:11:05

Savage just like old VW's, top speed is crusing speed. but they do feel just a little light around top end.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #7 - 03/12/06 at 01:12:57

Red line is 6500 RPM's (KLX 7500, but is 83mm stroke as against 94mm for the Savage).
Peak torque is at 55mph (3700rpm) which should give best economy.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 03/12/06 at 04:53:15

I have to agree that with a stock Savage you can just peg the  throttle and let 'er go, it won't hurt anything.  The Savage is a tough bike, ride with confidence.
If you are into performance then it will respond VERY WELL to rejetting the carb, giving you noticeably more power and speed with hardly any decrease in milage.

With more modifications to the exhaust, camshaft, shocks, forks, etc., the Savage can be transformed into a very respectable "street performer".  Top speeds of well over 100 are not difficult to attain.

I cruise in the 75-85 range frequently and my engine loves it.  It is modified a bit so that makes a difference.  With the gearing on the Savage the engine is turning about 4500 rpm at 75 mph (my rear tire is slightly larger than stock) which is a bit on the busy side but no harm at all...in fact, with the cam I have that rpm is in the middle of the power band.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 03/12/06 at 06:23:16

Cruising at 70-75mph is possible with no problem although the bike is a bit light in the wind. I've had my '02 up to 93mph a couple times and I think it can run a little over 100mph, just haven't gotten the nerve up to push it that far. After all that I prefer to "cruise" around 65mph.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #10 - 03/12/06 at 08:36:22

Don't do anything stupid, and you won't blow her up or significantly reduce engine life.

I've had mine up at 80 just to keep up with traffic on I-40 and it handled it like a champ. Compared to my usual 45-65 riding, this was quite a bit more vibration and the engine sounded like it was working pretty hard...but the gearing charts (anybody got a link to one of those, by the way? I know I saw one somewhere...) assured me I had nothing to worry about at that speed in top gear.

Any faster than that, and you're just asking for a ticket or a bad mishap anyway, with drivers in their cages as unpredictable as they tend to be.

As I've heard before, "use your head. Don't get dead."

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
650savagegirl
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/12/06 at 11:31:09

Well, the hubby had mine up to 80-85 "trying'er out..." on the interstate.  He said it sounded like it was up in the rpm's and backed down to 70-75 which he said sounded smooth.  Thanks for all the comments...now I just have to research a pipe that will sound a little better without having to re-jet....  Wink

IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/12/06 at 13:34:30

Let us know if you find the pipe that sounds better without having to re-jet.  I wouldn't mind doing that, but I was under the impression that if you changed one you had to change the carb, too.  Isn't that the case?

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/12/06 at 14:05:31

don't be afraid of rejetting, it can be your friend.  Its almost as simple as changing a screw.  Might be worth the effort.

I'm not sure if you have to change one thing when you change the other, but i beleive it is recommended? especially if it leans out the bike more.  Maybe you can just adjust the mixture to compinsate for it..  I'm sure some of the engine whiz's on this site will reply soon and tell you the facts.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #14 - 03/12/06 at 14:15:07

cigaro wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Let us know if you find the pipe that sounds better without having to re-jet.  I wouldn't mind doing that, but I was under the impression that if you changed one you had to change the carb, too.  Isn't that the case?

Yes you should rejet if you change the muffler. The bike is already too lean stock and when you put a freer flowing muffler on it gets leaner still.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 15:13:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cruising Speed?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.