Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
not started for 4 years.... (Read 9 times)
Majstor
Ex Member

not started for 4 years....
03/09/06 at 14:13:43

Hi there,
got me new, old bike that was sitting in the garage (not winterized) for 4 years. Without previous bike knowladge replaced: battery, spark plug, oil&filter and fuel (in tank) - still won't start (but have spark at the plug).

Any suggestions what else is MUST for check/replace to start bike that was sleeping for 4 years??? (was working without problems before-as per previous owner)

Another Q is two black hoses (same size), at each side of carb are just hanging out - what are they and where should be connected???

Thanks,
Majstor

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: not started for 4 years....
Reply #1 - 03/09/06 at 14:41:53

Majstor wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hi there,
got me new, old bike that was sitting in the garage (not winterized) for 4 years. Without previous bike knowladge replaced: battery, spark plug, oil&filter and fuel (in tank) - still won't start (but have spark at the plug).

Welcome. Does the bike turn over with the starter ?

Quote:
Another Q is two black hoses (same size), at each side of carb are just hanging out - what are they and where should be connected??

Those sound like the carb vent hoses. They tuck into the rectangular frame backbone under the tank (nearest the seat).

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/09/06 at 15:02:16

Hey, welcome to the site.  You are in EXACTLY the same position i started in last fall.  I got an 87 that had sit around for atleast 6 years if not more.  I got it to start and run real choppy at first.  Since my attempts last fall this forum has taught me almost everything i have needed to get the bike going.

First i'd clean the carburater, and i would clean it very well.  Make sure all jets and passages are clean and open.  Took me three try's to realize that the pilot jet was completly frozen with gunk.

Also i'm not sure what condition your exhaust is in, but i had a leak at the header (needed new exhaust gasket 3$ ronayers i beleive) and i was also leaking at the connection between muffler and pipe.  The guy had a touring bike muffler on it! it was huge and clamped very poorly.

She is still taken apart right now since i am doing a complete overhaul on almost the entire bike, but i beleive the carb and exhaust leaks will help smooth my bike out.

If some jets are full of gas paste, dirt, etc.. then you will have a lot of trouble starting..  Also make sure the petcock is working and in the correct position.  Mine was frozen in PRI.

Once again, welcome and i hope you get it squared away soon!

Jesse

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/09/06 at 15:04:27

PS:  An engine needs three things.  

Spark
Air
Fuel

(of course there are others, but the all revolve around those three things.)

You have spark,
You should be getting air, but maybe not enough or in the correct places(air jets in carb and such)
Same with the gas, petcock and carb, gotta clean and check em

Jesse

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #4 - 03/09/06 at 17:48:46

There's a  drain on the bottom of the fuel bowl.  If you remove the plug, you should have some gas drain out.  If it dry or there is just a lttle gas, then the float needle is gummed up. That would prevent gas flowing into the carb.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 03/09/06 at 21:05:52

Majstore,
99% sure, You have to clean the carburetor. If You have never done this, it will be a little chalenging to explain everything.
I'll try in couple of steps.
1. remove the gas tank.
2.Remove the battery box cover
3.loosen the clamps in front and behind the carb.
4. remove the gas cable from the carb.
5.remove the top of the carb/You might have some troubles with the 4 screws/
6.jently remove the slider with the diaphragm. Be careful, because it might be stuck pretty bad.
Now is the moment to do the " white spacer mod"
7.twist the carb 45 degrees. Now You have an access to the 4 float bowl screws.
8. remove the float bowl
9.take out all the removable jets and cleah them thoroughly with thin wire and carb. cleaner. LOOK AT THE PICTURES AND MAKE SURE YOU DON"T LOSE ANYTHING. The most important is the pilot jet. Take it out and make sure You see a light thru it when done.
10. Remove the float  . Clean it nice and make sure it moves freely on the float axle/pin/.
11. remove the float valve assy- the needle and the brass seat. Clean them perfectly /especially the inside of the brass piece/.
12. replace the rubber O-ring around the brass float valve /make sure the new one seals good /
13. go to the desired main jet.
   PUT EVERYTHING BACK THE WAY IT WAS BEFORE .

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 03/10/06 at 06:57:47

Welcome to the site!  As you can see, there's plenty of advice to be had.  Please take the time to browse the Tech Ref forum and pay particular attention to threads like Carb Specs., Carburetors 101, and Mid-Range Power & the White Spacer (Backfire).  Judging by the age of the bike, it would probably also benefit you to read the Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak thread, as it's likely to apply at some point.  Personally, I agree with the posts above regarding giving the carb a thorough cleaning.  It's probably a good idea to be sure there's no rust or other crap in the tank either.  I would also advise adding an inline fuel filter both as additional protection and a visual indicator of fuel flow or presence of junk.  Last but not least, please read the posting guidelines in each forum before posting.

Ride Well,

Rob

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Majstor
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/10/06 at 07:05:04

Thank you all for comments and welcomes! This place is perfect for me right now (my wife does not want to talk to be about these issues!).
Jesse - I would love to see if I have exhaust problems but so far did not ride this girl (or pregnant dog-we'll see). By the way, she is dark blue (well, bad people would say purple) and from outside looks great for '92.

It looks like I need to do the carb job! (hate the sound of it). As soon as I drained fuel from carb, it filled back and started but very, very rough. It would work only for 1-2 minutes and would die. Tried several times - same thing. To get more gas, turned from ON to PRI, but after 3-4 tries got fuel leaking badly from somewhere around the carb - could not see from where. ***What happened???***

Another thing drain plug at bottom of the carb cup is not very tight (but not leaking fuel at all) - was able to open with my fingers and when used tools to screw back would just turn around (still not leak from there).***Is it supposed to be like that???***

Slavy - by the way you put that 'e' I think you speak my language?

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/10/06 at 07:33:48

my bike was the same blue (purple) when i got it. Now its orange haha.

Be careful leaving the bike on PRI, just incase the float in your carb isn't working, your crankcase could fill with gas and that would be huge problems..

Mine ran really rough as well when i started, turns out my pilot jet was clogged and completly blocked.  See if you can clean your jets in the carb.  

Check the tech section for photos of the carb.  There are some great reference keys that will help you understand the carb, and learn to clean/work with it.

Good luck!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 03/10/06 at 13:13:21

Sounds like the carb is clogged up. Here are a couple tips for working on carbs, first have a clean work bench so the little parts don't disappear under stuff. Work on a shop towel or clean rag to keep small parts from bouncing when they fall out of the carb. Take your time with the job, if you get stumped put it down and walk away for a few minutes. Don't force anything, if it doesn't fit then it doesn't belong there. Watch out for small parts when using spray carb cleaner, I've shot stuff across the shop with spray cleaner Undecided. Use the right tools and have fun, it will be worth it in the end.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #10 - 03/10/06 at 16:20:00

About that carb. cleaning... You could check with some local shops that may a sonic carb. cleaner. It basically uses high frequency radio waves in a cleaning solution to "shake" or "vibrate" the gunk and goo out of every nook and cranny. From what I've seen they come out of the tank looking like a new carb.  We're suppose to get one at the dealership I work at, but have not seen it yet. (not a big surprise though!!! Angry)

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #11 - 03/10/06 at 16:36:35

You will not get the carb and jets clean by spraying it with carb cleaner in a can. The proper way is to diassemble the carb and put all the metal parts in a vat of real carb cleaner. I buy Gunk in a gallon can with a parts basket inside. This is the real stuff. It will get your carb looking like new. I rinse with water and blow dry with my air compressor.

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/10/06 at 19:17:44

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
You will not get the carb and jets clean by spraying it with carb cleaner in a can. The proper way is to diassemble the carb and put all the metal parts in a vat of real carb cleaner. I buy Gunk in a gallon can with a parts basket inside. This is the real stuff. It will get your carb looking like new. I rinse with water and blow dry with my air compressor.

That's how the pros do it. If you clean the carb like mentioned above it will be clean. If you are reluctant to take it apart, take it off and take it to a repair shop, tell them about the mods you want done. This is a simple carb, I don't think it would cost a lot. Do not put any rubber parts in that vat of cleaner!!

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #13 - 03/10/06 at 19:57:13

pgolden wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Do not put any rubber parts in that vat of cleaner!!

Amen. That stuff will eat plastic, rubber, and your skin.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #14 - 03/11/06 at 08:51:59

Majstore, my guess is You are from one of the former YU republics.
I am from BG.
I kind'a understand 70% serbian, 80% understand macedonian and pick-up something from the bosnyan lenguages.
Here everybody will try to help-the lenguages don't matter too much if we try hard enough.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 11:19:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › not started for 4 years....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.