Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First ride, impressions (Read 3 times)
dichotomous
Ex Member

First ride, impressions
03/08/06 at 18:30:30

today was my first ride on my savage, or any bike on the street for that matter.  I recieved the bike monday, but they dropped it off wth a bad battery, and I could get to it yesterday, but they gave me a new battery today and I put it in there and she fired right up.  After about 3 minutes I pushed in the choke and she idled kinda funny, almost dieing a few times, but I figured this was cause it was 32F out and, well, carbs aint the best under freezing I hear, unless they are tuned for it.  so I leave the choke in for another couple minutes and when I push it back in again she runs smoothly and the fins are hot so I figure shes good to go, by this time I have all my riding gear on.  Roll her down the driveway out onto the neighborhood street, pull in the clutch, press down on the shifter, give it a little throttle and ease out the clutch, jerk, stall.  ooops, well 4 or 5 more of those... and I've pretty much got the feel of how to get going.  go around the neighborhood loop once, then take her out on the outer loop, where there are intersections and cars and turns and such.  Didnt stall it again, turned just fine, real stable, boy when I twisted that throttle back did she move!  not used to that, so much different than a car, its like in X-men when wolvarine takes cyclope's bike out and hits the fast button, just all kinda blurs a bit, but I got used to it quickly, I only brought it up to 30mph around the loops though, 2nd gear and all.  Really liked backfiring with the dense cold air and lean factory settings though, rappa-pap rappa-pap.  You know, I even like how she sounds stock.... odd I know.  But I've had the seat off and the battery taken out and installed a battery tender too, and when it started I felt a little proud that I got it working, if only just replacing a battery.    I plan to do some of the mods on this site, including the seat lift and carb mods.  Though to be honest this is a training bike for me, I'll keep it through this season and then in the fall or spring put it in the paper.  So far I love it though, just a beautiful bike.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: First ride, impressions
Reply #1 - 03/08/06 at 19:05:41

Glad you had a good ride.

About the blurring.  I had that once. Cruising about 40 behind my wife on her Ninja 250. She got a little further ahead of me than I wanted. The road was good, the weather was clear and there was no traffic.  So I twisted the throttle, and the Savage jumped.   I couldn't believe that the little bike could accelerate my fat a$$ that fast. Almost like tunnel vision - a clear image in the middle surrounded by blurs on the periphery.  

I only accelerated for a couple of seconds, but what a blast.  Kind of addicting. I guess that's why people get those 100 hp bikes.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
dichotomous
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/10/06 at 10:42:34

took it out at lunch today, got it up to speed on the main road, not many cars but a few.  started getting windy (30mph gusts) so I rode back and garaged it again, but I hit some twisty sections of road, got it up to 60mph on the straights, felt really nice.  got back in the jeep to drive back to work, felt sad, just wasnt the same.  Now I have never thought of my jeep as smooth in any fashion, but compared to the savage its friggen sliky smooth.  I like and miss that rough pull of the big single 650 already and its only been an hour.....

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 03/10/06 at 12:57:58

Once bitten you will never turn back. The more you ride the more you will miss it Grin.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/10/06 at 13:10:02

I like it when u accidentally catch a little air.  Scarry but almost fun.  Too bad the fork seals aren't designed for wheelies Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 17:31:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First ride, impressions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.