Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dyna or a Sportster Muffler ?? (Read 20 times)
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Dyna or a Sportster Muffler ??
03/08/06 at 14:36:03

I have been offered a dyna muffler for my mistress ...Whats the diffrence between them (Dyna and Sporty) ??  Any pics of a Dyna installed ??

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Re: Dyna or a Sportster Muffler ??
Reply #1 - 03/08/06 at 14:44:49

I just did a search and found out alot but didnt see any pics...

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #2 - 03/08/06 at 15:00:57

Sorry, no pics.  They look the same as far as I can tell.

The Dyna muffler I bought has a slotted bracket for installation instead of the tab with a hol found on the Sportster muffler.  I found it really easy to install the Dyna muffler on the stock muffler hanger bracket. I found two carriage bolts the correct diameter and slipped them in the slot. Then I passed the bolts through the stock mounting holes. Secured each with a regular washer, a lock washer, and a nut. This also allowed me to use the stock rubber bushings on the mounts.

The result was a very securely mounted muffler mounted pretty far back.  This required a short custom pipe to slip into the muffler and over the header pipe.  I paid a local shop $5 for the custom adapter.

Works for me.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 03/08/06 at 15:01:52

I have a FXD/F (which I believe is an older model Dyna on mine and it works fine. I think they were also the larger engine size which makes 1/2 the set a better deal air flow wise. Mine is slash cut same size all the way back with a center baffle and fair sized holes in the inner tube to the packing/silencing material I really like mine but don't think it sounds much different than my B-i-L's with and XL muffler on his. I think XLs are sportster models but am not sure. Just get 'r done and you'll be happy. I strongly recommend the muffler shop made 7" -  10 deg bend adapter sized to fit the Savage head pipe and the inlet of your muffler.  Then the heat shield makes it look finished. B-i-L had them made it of stainless so it should last forever. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #4 - 03/08/06 at 15:50:12

I thik the FDX means it comes from a Dyna, while the XL means it comes from a Sportster.

Edited:  Changed SL to XL.

IP Logged
orrin7
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/08/06 at 16:01:21

xl means sportster. i have a soft tail screamin eagle on my s40 , with the short adapter pipe as mentioned above , and also i made a bracket for the mount b/c it mounts like the sportster

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 03/09/06 at 02:20:17

From what I've read the Dyna flows more gas, i.e. less restrictive.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/09/06 at 19:32:37

Max, specifically with the 7" extension, is the Suzuki end 1 3/4 and the muffler1 1/2"?  Do you get an adapater or try to get that worked into the muffler piece you have bent to 10"?

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #8 - 03/09/06 at 20:16:31

Cigaro,

I mounted the Dyna muffler and measured the gap between the header and the muffler. Then I removed the header pipe and took it along with the muffler to the exhaust shop.  I told them I needed a pipe that would slide into the muffler and slip over the haeder pipe with the measured distance between.  I let them do the rest.

Since I mounted the Dyna muffler with two bolts, it's pretty far to the rear.  I have not noticed any soot on the brake arm.  You might be able to make the 10 degree bend work, but mounting the muffler with two bolts would require that the aft bolt be spaced off the muffler to account for the bend.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #9 - 03/10/06 at 10:22:53

We had the 7" extension expanded to fit over the head pipe and into the muffler. Took both parts to the muffler shop and let them do the fitting as one end is metric. I do not think B-i-L used the original packing sleeve on the head pipe but he did cut the small ID end off close to the weld so the adapter fit correctly and his X/L muffler has a eye tab that we bent to fit the last hole in the stock bracket which we had to weld back on as the previous owner had cut off, thankfully had left it on the OEM muffler that came with the bike in the parts removed box so it was easy. I used a piece of flat channel to extend mine for the FXD muffler. We both wanted the end of the muffler back past or directed away from the rear brake lever. Mine comes out almost past the end of the hard bags I've fitted. Usualy longer is also better for torque. High RPM short track bikes run those real short straight pipes. years ago I built an system for my Honda 150 (stroked to 150) and had the formula for the length for torque. It was a long pipe but that 150 would thump up a wet hill during observed trials at 1200 RPM and worked great.  An observer said you could see the dirt squirt from the trials tire each thump. There are days I wish I had that one back. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 15:30:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna or a Sportster Muffler ??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.