Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jaeger's second question... (Read 1 times)
jaeger
YaBB Newbies

NoVA (Near Washintgon, DC)
Jaeger's second question...
03/07/06 at 08:58:40

Next question/issue, oh great Gurus of the 'Zuk Thumper:

Petcock appears to be leaking.  Is this common?  If I leave it on "Pri," will it stop?

--Jaeger

jaegerinhell   IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Re: Jaeger's second question...
Reply #1 - 03/07/06 at 09:10:15

where is it leaking.. down the hose into the carb? or around the seal.. mine leaked around the seal where it met the tank.. turns out the rubber gasket was missing a section.

there is a thread in the tech section that tells how to convert your pettthing to manual so it can actually be "shut off", to say the very least, the thread gives some good pictures of the insides so you can see how it all works..

jesse

IP Logged
jaeger
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 03/07/06 at 09:16:04

I can't really tell where the leak is -- i just know the whole unit is wet with gasoline when i leave it sit for a few days.  I'm trying turning the petcock to "pri" and see if it will not leak, but...  

Thanks for the tip on the technical section -- i didn't see one, but i also didn't look that hard.  

--Jaeger

jaegerinhell   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 03/07/06 at 09:35:28

I don't think you want to do that - on PRIme the gas will free flow if for any reason your carb float doesn't shut it off and then you have a real problem.  

By the way there's a used one on ebay for not much.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #4 - 03/07/06 at 10:00:21

If the whole pet...k is wet, I think your gasket is a goner. I work on hydraulic system on airplane and the first sign of leakage is 90% of seal/gasket failure.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
jaeger
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 03/07/06 at 11:27:41

Ok, well, the gasget is a cheap fix anyway!  Hah!

Thanks, folks.  I saw the one on ebay, but it's flood damaged, so I'll prob just go through bike bandit.

--Jaeger

jaegerinhell   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 03/07/06 at 12:11:29

I was asking the sellers on the 2004 bike that petc0ck is from if it was under water or not as they seem to be selling good looking metal parts and I like to get a head to test some port work on - they told me I was asking them too many questions and they didn't have time - so I guess I'll  mark biker2biker off the list.

IP Logged
AussieSavage
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/08/06 at 04:48:11

I have ordered a few parts from biker2biker and have been impressed .All good quality secondhand parts and cheap.

They are a secondhand  bike parts dealership , so it all depends on who you talk to there.

Ask for Chuck if you need a part, he is very helpful.

Cheers AussieSavage

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #8 - 03/09/06 at 16:04:01

You must have talked to someone new over there at biker2biker. They are unfailingly kind to me and take time to answer any question I ask even when they know I'm a dumba$$ female. Give them another try, I know they have just move into new quarters and expanded, so have some new help too. Chuck is the owner and has not only gone out of his way to help me, he's sent a follow up email to thank me for my business.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/09/06 at 17:12:50

Yea i agree, actually out of all the people ive ever dealt with on ebay, the owner (Chuck) has been incredibly flexible to my requests and has given me some decent deals on parts i need.  

What kind of port work are you thinking about doing.. just polishing and such?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 03/10/06 at 04:49:31

Ok, I'll try them again - but from looking at the rust on engine guard that can off the '04 they are breaking down I think that answered my question for me - yes this bike spent some time under salt water so it seems likely the steel parts on the head - rockers,camshaft and such are going to have flash rust.

On the ports, I want to open up the exh to match a single wall head pipe and knock as much of the trash out of the flow as possible, lots of it on the "ceiling". Thought about bigger valves but just a longer duration lobe would likey do it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 13:19:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jaeger's second question...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.