Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Questions about saddlebag supports (Read 15 times)
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Questions about saddlebag supports
03/04/06 at 14:29:18

I installed a pair of saddlebag supports, 99950-70145, on my 97 Savage. I removed the rear and middle fender rail bolts, put the supports under the fender, and reistalled the bolts. The supports are next to the bolt head.  That is, the bolt went through the support, the fender, and then into the fender rail.  Is that the correct order?  

The left rail is really close to the left side of the rear tire, but the right side appears to be well away from the tire.  I'm concerned that the tire may rub on the bracket when I hit bumps.  

Should the bracket be between the fender and the side rail?  Do I need to center the tire or the fender in the frame?

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Questions about saddlebag supports
Reply #1 - 03/04/06 at 19:45:19

It sounds like you have them in the correct order but I don't know why one would be so close.  Mine are spaced properly.  I'm not absolutely sure it's possible but are you sure you don't have them reversed?  The left bracket extends further than the right because of the belt on that side.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 03/04/06 at 20:11:57

they are correct, for some reason some Savages have the rear wheel/tire very close to the LH fender bolts. I've not been able to determine or have anyone report if it is the way the wheel is laced (offset to the left) or if it is a spacer concern. They spacer will not switch so unless they are wrong from the factory. that is the way some are. The 87 my B-i-L has is that way and my 96 is. I used button head bolts to provide the clearance and stayed with the stock tire size. It really will rub on the 150/80 version. A good fasterner store will have the bolts you need. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #3 - 03/04/06 at 20:24:04

Rob,

I checked them and they seem to protrude the same amount on both sides. One end is somewhat shorter than the other. I  bolted the longer end on the rear bolt and the shorter end to the middle bolt. That makes the bottom horizontal.

The tire seems to be about a half an inch closer to the left side.  I was looking at the axle spacers, thinking they might be reversed, but they seem very different and unlike to be installed on the wrong sides.  

The previous owner put new tires on before he sold it to me. The tires are 140/80-15.  Is that stock?  

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/04/06 at 20:42:19

Rear tire: 140/80-15 IRC

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/04/06 at 20:43:14

Yep, that's the stock tire size.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #6 - 03/04/06 at 21:10:26

Thanks Max, Jim, & 911radioman.  

I sat on the bike and bounced up and down.  I think the bracket just barely clears the tire.  I should probably look for a bolt with a lower profile head.

I think Max is right about the spacers. They just seem to be wrong.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/04/06 at 21:27:58

Just on a wild hair, have you checked your alignment marks on your rear axle to make sure the wheel is aligned properly?  Just a tick off one way or the other could really throw the wheel to one side.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 03/04/06 at 21:37:37

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Rob,

I checked them and they seem to protrude the same amount on both sides. One end is somewhat shorter than the other. I  bolted the longer end on the rear bolt and the shorter end to the middle bolt. That makes the bottom horizontal.

The tire seems to be about a half an inch closer to the left side.  I was looking at the axle spacers, thinking they might be reversed, but they seem very different and unlike to be installed on the wrong sides.  

The previous owner put new tires on before he sold it to me. The tires are 140/80-15.  Is that stock?  

The tire size is stock but I am almost positive the left should extend further from the fender than the right.  I'll measure mine tomorrow and post.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #9 - 03/05/06 at 07:36:44

Thanks, Rob.  Tell me where you're measuring from and I'll do the same.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 03/05/06 at 13:14:16

Okay, I held up a tape measure and measured horizontally from the outer edge of the fender to the outside of the support.  Looks like the right side extends about 2.5 inches while the left side extends roughly 3 inches.

Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #11 - 03/05/06 at 14:35:43

Thanks, Rob.  Those are the same numbers I get. 3 inches on the left and 2.5 on the right.

Just to be clear, it's the part under the fender that is very close to the tire. I'm concerned that the bracket itself will rub.  The bolt head is another issue altogether.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 03/05/06 at 14:54:56

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Thanks, Rob.  Those are the same numbers I get. 3 inches on the left and 2.5 on the right.

Just to be clear, it's the part under the fender that is very close to the tire. I'm concerned that the bracket itself will rub.  The bolt head is another issue altogether.

Oh!  Yeah, that does get very close!  Of course, I thought it was basically because I put the 140/90B15 Dunlop on the back.  Try changing the preload on your shocks' up a notch or two.  It's also helpful to do as Max suggested above and use the button/mushroom head bolts.  Since I changed shocks from the the 10.5" stockers to the 12.5" Progressive 412's, I have a large amount of clearance.

Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #13 - 03/05/06 at 18:18:29

Thanks, Rob.

I have the shocks set at 4. So I can set it up to 5.  I'm probably going to find a bolt with a shorter head or grind one down.  I used a ratcheting box end wrench to turn the bolts.  I'd rather not have to drop the rear wheel to access the bolt.

Steve

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 03/05/06 at 20:01:57

Actually, the button/mushroom head bolts are very low profile,  keyed for an allen wrench and really easy to use.  So far as accessing them, I scraped my hands up something fierce because I simply wasn't thinking.  Just lift the bike and the swingarm will drop the rear wheel a bit - probably far enough to allow you easy enough access.  If not, disconnect one end of each shock and it definitely will.  Either way, it's not necessary to remove the wheel.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 11:17:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Questions about saddlebag supports

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.