Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
More muffler muddles (Read 18 times)
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

More muffler muddles
03/04/06 at 11:39:08

Been running The Lettuce stock since I bought it last July. Even in stock form it'll run all day, hey that's a big exaggeration - I can't run all day, well what I mean is it'll run for as long as I ask it at 120kph/75mph and'll give more if I ask of it, up to 140kph/87mph max.  At that speed it don't feel comfortable and nither do I.

However, I'm seriously considering doing the now standard performance mods: K&N, half white spacer, 152.5 main jet and a new "silencer" -that's what they call 'em where I come from but I should say muffler for all you "colonials"friends...

And there lies the question.  I'm on a strict budget so a new Supertrapp/MAC/Jardine look to be way out of reach, whereas running a quick  Harley pipe search on eBay (UK/US/Spain) threw up some remarkably cheap alternatives:
a pair of 883 Sportster mufflers for $35 second-hand but cheaper still a new "Short" (16") Sportster muffler advertised as a straight slip-on fit for the Savage for a Buy-it-now price of $29 and a "Universal Harley 1.75" Shorty (11.75" long) new for just $18.95 Buy-it-now at J&J Power Sports.

Whilst build quality at that price might be dubious, it looks hard to resist.  After all the talk of engine blow ups, con-rod failures and the like I'm getting nervous that too little back-pressure that I assume a super-short pipe would give might not be such a good thing.

What opinions are there out there on stumpy pipes vs the more conventional Sportster OEM mufflers?

Rained all day today so zero miles on The Lettuce.  Shame.  Only ride in rain if I have to.  Didn't have to today so stayed home.

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Re: More muffler muddles
Reply #1 - 03/04/06 at 11:57:50

BTW search function match as phrase gave zero results for "short muffler" so I felt justified in starting yet another muffler thread.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #2 - 03/04/06 at 14:51:54

I went down to the local Harley shop and bought a good used Dyna muffler for $20.  I assume most people in the US  do the same or buy one off ebay.  Not much point going with a substitute at that price.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 03/04/06 at 19:55:41

Salad_Shaker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
BTW search function match as phrase gave zero results for "short muffler" so I felt justified in starting yet another muffler thread.

Try shorty muffler and match all words.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 03/04/06 at 22:33:19

Frankly, I don't see any connection between the 2 recently discussed failures and the standard carb/muffler mod's.  So be at peace with the mod's, jet and tune properly and have fun riding a better running motorcycle.

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/05/06 at 07:03:28

Steve, my local Harley dealership was 90km away and just closed down!  Here in Spain Harelys are an expensive rarity so picking up for a song someone's cast-off OEM mufflers isn't an option.  If ever I was in Mérida I used to take a peep through the window at Milwaulkee's finest but otherwise I almost never see one.  Bike meets, "concentaciones" as they're known don't attract many Hog riders, indeed the custom/cruiser style is generally not admired so much while everyoe else is worshipping at the altar of speed and sportsbikes.  

Lancer, your reassurance is comforting.  Someone else, can't remeber whom, described your Savage as a rolling test bed so if you can't blow the motor, then me following a tried and tested fromula isn't likely to do much harm now is it.

Rob.  I ran "shorty muffler" through the search options and it offered a useful thread titled "Noise" but had to set the days function to 10000 or something to find it.  Thanks for the good tip.  That's the trouble with almost speaking English - the typical argot phrases, in-crowd jargon if you like, have to be learned the hard way.   ???

Meanwhile, sun's out so lets give that motor some work to do....

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #6 - 03/05/06 at 07:14:56

SS,

Sorry, I guess my reply was too concise.  The point I was making is that we have a lot of options here in the US, so we wouldn't be tempted to explore the "shorty" option.  So you're not going to find much in the way of info about the "shorty".

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/05/06 at 07:36:24

Actually, the real reason the "shorty" attracts me is that given the shortage of options and the fact that I'll have to get something sent here from your side of the pond a "shorty" weighs in at half the others so will have a much lower shipping cost.  I'm sure that's the wrong logic to make a performance orientated decision on but when money's too tight to mention its surprising what we peruade oureselves is really important.  El Señor Dinero es poderoso caballero....

IP Logged
Bryner
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Valencia (Spain)
Reply #8 - 03/05/06 at 09:38:34

Hi Salad_Shacker!!!

Are you asking about mufflers for your Savage, isn't it?
Well, I put a Sporty muffler on my '00 four days ago.
The sound is much better than the stock muffler and I'm considering to do the standard performance mods too.

I buy the muffler on eBay. The seller sends it from USA to Spain and it cost 60$ including shipping cost...

Greetings from Spain  8)

P.D: si necesitas algo mandame un privado y hablamos. V'ssss

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 03/05/06 at 13:17:42

Salad_Shaker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
That's the trouble with almost speaking English - the typical argot phrases, in-crowd jargon if you like, have to be learned the hard way.

I guess I hadn't realized it wasn't your native tongue.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/06/06 at 00:32:45

Oops, a small dose of English irony gone amiss here - American English isn't my native tongue!

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/06/06 at 00:56:37

Oye, Bryner ¿Dónde estás?

Ráfagas. Grin

For any non-Hispanics reading this that's merely"Where are you?  And "V's" and "Ráfagas" are biker greetings.  The V's are easy to understand - it's the two fingered on the road salute we wave as we pass each other.  Meanwhile the "ráfagas" I've never quite sussed as literally it means "gusts of wind" but has somehow come to be a biker greeting.  Beats me. ???

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/06/06 at 00:58:02

Hey, what happened to my typing?  That's supposed to say RAFAGAS with no asterisks or other extraneous marks.  Wierd.

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/06/06 at 00:59:30

What's going on here? I just want some letters and I get breaks and stars.  Let's try again. R A F A G A S.

Am I doing something wrong?

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/06/06 at 01:00:00

That's better!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home