Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Ran across this...
Reply #15 - 03/03/06 at 17:56:09

Ok brief and to the point.

1. the Savage engine is very conservative. Low compression, small valves, mild cam timing, low horsepower @ low rpms

2. our rejetting is correct for power, long life, and smooth running - the stock jetting is way too lean.

3. There's no uneven burning, "rich and lean spots", fuel dumping, or excessive oil washing from either the rings or cylinder.

4. adding a "low-back pressure (loud)" muffler on a bike DOES NOT "make it run lean at some rpm and rich at others."

Our rejetting regimen corrects all 3 carb circuits and I can assure you my bike is jetted correctly and will last.

The reasons for these two engine failures are in no way related to what Mr. Engineer has posted. I've been modifying internal combustion engines for many years. I can assure you that free flowing exhaust and jetting for performance will only increase longevity.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #16 - 03/03/06 at 21:34:32

Radioman's point is well taken. Any modification that increases power, speed, acceleration, etc. puts increased stress, friction, and heat on internal components.
While this rather benign and modest modification will not result in a catostrophic engine failure 99.999 % of the time, it just might explain the two recent engine failures discused here in the forum of late. (Especally if the bike is riden hard and fast.)
I have always been leary of making the aforementioned modification, and so far have not done so. It is at the very least  something to consider.  Undecided

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #17 - 03/03/06 at 21:39:28

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Mr. CrankyPants said;

This causes scuffing and perhaps even deposition of piston aluminum on
the cylinder walls which generates a lot of friction, which overloads
the connecting rod big end bearing, which fails, overheating the
conrod, which breaks and goes through the case.

That's a wonderful story, but too improbable as to the cause of rod failures. If the raw gas has diminished the lubricity of the cylinder wall causing aluminum microns to be scrubbed from the piston, a more likely result will be particles escaping out the exhaust. Anyways the steel piston rings are the first contact with the cylinder liner and any buildup of the wall causing excessive friction would more likely lead to a piston/ring seizure as opposed to transferring this heat down to the connecting rod in its oil bath.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 03/03/06 at 22:10:42

Well, at least it was a mildly amusing read...

My bike is probably one of the leanest running on the board. Stock spacer and jetting, modified airbox, and insanely long, low back pressure exhaust. Mainly because I've been entirely too lazy to pull and open up the carb. I have a couple jets, somewhere in the living room. Runs fine.

My Vulcan, though liquid cooled, has been insanely modded in the motor dept. Low restriction exhaust. Modified air box. Stage 3 jet kit. Polished intake tracts. An online dyno shows it to make 60 hp at the rear wheel ( I kinda doubt it), stock was 46-48hp at the crank... Pops, snarls, shoots flames, and only turns the fan on in group riding at low speeds. If one of my bikes was gonna blow up from modding the fuel system, it would have done so by now.

I'd lay even money that the failed con rods had manufacturing defects. No company can catch every glitch.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/03/06 at 22:53:04

Its funny how this guy can switch sides of the savage's design in the same breath.   I guess his engine design experience is based on riding different motorcycles thousands of miles.   Since when has that ever made anyone more qualified to make improvements to a motor?  I wonder if he is Japanese? haha

First praising the Japanese engineers

"is a typical American
idea that any guy with a screwdriver is a better designer than a bunch
of highly paid Japanese engineers"

and inserting his typical American idea to improve this engine that has been designed by highly paid Japanese engineers  he praised earlier Wink

"The flamefront ignited by the spark plug has to travel all the way
across the monster piston bore to burn instead of explode. To minimize
this, the spark plug should be in the middle".

I am highly doubting this statement too  

there isn't enough length in the manifold to thoroughly
mix the droplets and let them vaporize

Im pretty sure if it wasnt vaporizing, it wouldnt be firing. 8)

Does a lean stock bike (his preferred savage) have more potential for engine failure than a properly jetted one?  I would think over the long term the stock jetted one with a free flowing muffler or k&n air filter would fail sooner than a completely stock bike or a bike with 152.5 and air filter with free flowing exhaust would .  I believe this is true  because its extra lean condition would make the temp higher as well as other things.  Even a stock bike runs extremely hot and in the summer it was almost frighteningly hot sometimes.    

This ain't rocket science he states.  Thank god.  I wouldnt let him come anywhere near my rocket  Grin

He could always be secretly working for the EPA and make up this propaganda hehe.

IP Logged
Les

Reply #20 - 03/04/06 at 03:14:53

Smiley Some thoughts-
Every carb engine washes the oil every time it runs (That is the nature of a Carb)
Plug placement and flame travel are affected by combustin chamber design and inlet-exhaust flow
Remove weight from these little bikes.
Personally if its to loud you are to old-Les

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/04/06 at 05:37:21

Starlifter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Radioman's point is well taken. Any modification that increases power, speed, acceleration, etc. puts increased stress, friction, and heat on internal components.

That is not my point.  My point is that if this is the case, why aren't bikes of all cylinder numbers and sizes failing because it is the same principle?

Heck, my bike is modified as well.  I'm not against these mods, just trying to figure out this guys thinking and wanting to share what he said with the forum here.  I'm not in agreement with him on it, save maybe one or two little points.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #22 - 03/04/06 at 05:41:06

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I guess my question would be what makes sense?  .
 i was being sarcastic,i forgot to add the  Roll Eyes sign.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #23 - 03/04/06 at 07:03:42

I think that one thing that this article didn't address is how much more perfomance is realized by the rejet and exhaust mod. After all we are only talking about a 15 to 20% increase in power, stock at around 30hp, mod at around 35hp. This power increase should be well in the safety limits built into the specs of the connecting rod no matter what they are made of. If the rods are that weak then there would be a lot more failures with nonmodified engines. After all the Savage is consitered an entry level bike and has been detuned for that reason. As to raw gas being introduced into the combustion chamber, well I haven't seem any raw gas being sprayed out of the exhaust which is where it shows up. Also everybody has been reading thier sparkplugs to insure that the fuel/air mixture is correct so the cylinder wall wash down theory really doesn't apply. I'm not going to argue the point that increasing the horsepower of an engine can decrease the overall life of that engine, I've been a firm believer in that for years. It just is a ballance between performance and engine longevity. We are not asking the big single to produce double or tripple the stock horse power, we are only bringing the engine up to power levels that have been shown to be reasonable by other engines of the same basic design. The author seems to have a problem with backyard mechanics who enjoy tinkering but without backyard mechanics we would still be riding horses and buggies. Just my .02 cents  

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 03/04/06 at 08:16:15

I just spent almost an hour responding to Ormond's statement and when I went to post it the site said it was too long and I lost the whole freaking thing.  I am going to have to rest up a bit before trying again.

He seems to be a bit short on practical as well as theoretical  experience/knowledge of the internal combustion engine.  He reads and talks to others but does not mention his HANDS ON experience.  He views a stock engine as being in a DELICATE BALANCE and any changes to that would upset the balance and lead to destruction.  A lot of what he says is just not valid.
He apparantly rides a lot though, and that is good.

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #25 - 03/04/06 at 15:29:14

My opinion is this is: If you don't have the knowledge or a knowlegable friend to help you with the modifications then, NO you should not be doing them. I seen people bringing in there bikes saying "this thing ain't running right" or "it's backfiring to much". You ask them if they did anything to the bike, they say "yeah, I put on a set of drag pipes". Of course when you ask the other obvious questions about jetting and the air/fuel screw they act like they didn't even know the bike had a carb. This guys opnion about leaving the bike stock I think is just his own uneducated opinion. If the modifications you're doing are done right, there should be little or no affect on the reliability of the bike, If fact, eliminating the stock lean mixture alone should improve performance and engine life.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 13:26:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ran across this...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.