Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So it starts- (Read 1 times)
Les Jantzen

So it starts-
03/02/06 at 18:31:18

Smiley Well I just can't leave anything alone and since I bought this rough little 95 for cheap may as well start on a bobber-chopper project. Spent today removing the back fender and working to rid it of the passenger pad. While I have cussed the  soft screws on the savage let me tell you the rear fender is no slouch when it comes to workable metal. Had a twisted off bolt and lousey repaint so we will see where we get to on this. Anyway if any want to shorten up the rear fender and go for the bob tail look please rest assured the metal is really quite workable. Pics of a finished project in the next few weeks. I.m old and slow.  Besides it is a enjoyable project. Les

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: So it starts-
Reply #1 - 03/02/06 at 18:37:17

Welcome aboard we all like pics shoot a few as you go

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 03/03/06 at 05:44:00

Excellent!  Yes, please keep us updated on progress and post pics when you can.  And welcome to the site!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Les

Reply #3 - 03/04/06 at 02:53:44

Smiley Just a quick progress report. Managed to remove and chop down the rear fender. I was amazed at how heavy the stock rear fender assy. is. But it was designed to haul pass around. I removed 8 inches of metal from the center of stock fender. The front cut was 3/4 inch behind the top mounting bolt holes. You will need to be careful as this area is double metal and you need to not cut thru the bottom layer of metal. Second cut was 8 inches back and requires you to change the cut angle slightly so you achieve the slant desired. Next you must remove some of the back piece bottom layer of metal ( where and how much to be determined by amt to be shortened) and I also removed some of the taillight doubler for easy reattachment. This only required 4 slot cuts to work the fender down together and the 2 section cuts so was not to bad. Reattached pieces with the trusty mig welder. Point if you are worried about lining up the cuts for a good fit and shape cut it short and find the desired cut angle for the rear piece. Another point is the method for holding rear turn signals to fender. You can fing easier pieces to mount but the stock turn signals can be fit with a collar inside the fender.  Also mock up the rectifier under the seat before finish work. Pics to follow- Les

IP Logged
Les

Reply #4 - 03/04/06 at 14:50:38

[img][/img]mar04$01.jpg took a pic we shall seee. Les

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 03/04/06 at 19:51:36

Les wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
[img][/img]mar04$01.jpg took a pic we shall seee. Les

You'll need to place the URL between the two bracketed codes instead of after both but you'll also need to provide a full address to it instead of just the filename.

Please see How to Add Pictures/Links.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Les

Reply #6 - 03/05/06 at 05:29:28

Smiley Managed to not post a pic (Sorry maybe later) but on a side note managed to make the little savage sound like a thumper instead of a putter. 7/8 hole saw cut thru a 3/4 pine board made a center insert. Then a 1 1/4  hole saw and cut thru end of muffler. Finally sounds like a 650 thumper. Even stopped the annoying kick-back on shutdown. Had already done the spacer and 155  (from 145) main jet change. Now back to work. Les

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 15:29:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So it starts-

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.