Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Horn removal - Need advice (Read 7 times)
911radioman
Ex Member

Horn removal - Need advice
03/02/06 at 11:58:05

I picked up a Freeway Blaster low tone horn today and those blasted two screws holding the bracket to the frame are in there tight and I can't budge them.

I stopped shy of stripping out the screw head, but I need a little advice on how best to get those suckers out without mangling them.

I see a nut on the backside of the OEM horn, but I can't get a wrench on there to try removing the horn that way.  Plus, I'd much rather pull the bracket so I can make sure I get a good mount on the new horn.

Would appreciate any advice you can give on how to get those two big screws out!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Horn removal - Need advice
Reply #1 - 03/02/06 at 12:21:26

Liquid Wrench may help.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/02/06 at 13:34:20

Well, I got it.  Never got those screws lose though, so I gently bent the bracket outward enough to get onto the nut and to install the horn.  Once I got the new horn back on I just bent the bracket back inward.

One thing I noticed, the stud on the Freeway Blaster wasn't quite long enough to use the rubber grommet that was already in the OEM bracket.  I wound up removing it and then using a large washer on the backside to keep the nut from pulling through the larger hole.

I have to say that I was a little underwhelmed by the sound output.  It is rated at 135db and I carefully checked to make sure I didn't have the wires backwards.  I guess I was expecting a little more oomph behind the sound than what I got.

There must be more power consumption with the Freeway Blaster horn, as it tends to like to dim the lights a bit when you hit the button.

All in all, I guess it is louder than the OEM Suzy horn though...

I also belong to the Honda Rebel forum, and a bunch of those guys over there have installed the Freeway Blaster, and they have also covered the horns with chrome horn covers from Harley Davidson.  According to them, it will cover an auto style horn well.  That may be next on my to-do list.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 03/02/06 at 13:55:42

I have to admit I do like a forward-facing horn much better and louder is better too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 03/02/06 at 17:17:15

Am essential tools for any DIY biker is a hand held impact driver with an assortment of SD bits. I recommend 3/8 drive rather than 1/2 but they come both ways. Not to expensive but will removed those set in screws w/o damage to the fastener most of the time.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/02/06 at 19:24:01

Do you guys think a relay is needed on this horn?  I just swapped horns out, but am wondering if I should go back and revisit it and install a relay.

If one is needed, how would be the best way to install it?  I'm thinking simply cut into the existing horn line, install the relay and then come off the relay with higher gauge wire.  Sound right to you?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 03/02/06 at 20:58:17

that would do it - you should be able to tell - charger to horn is it louder? - several folks here have Buick sounding horns - paladin I think - seems he did post on it

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 03/02/06 at 21:00:27

I have a horn relay that I need to install -- I have a pair of 138db horns and I'm going to burn the horn button not to mention the voltage drop is excessive over the stock wiring.  I plan on 10 gauge wires from the battery to the relay to the horn, with the stock wiring operating the relay.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 03/02/06 at 21:04:23

2x138db! D@mnit - that should wake them up - might even hear them over the ipod headphone

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/03/06 at 11:49:27

Decided to go back and revisit the horn installation.  Went to the local auto parts store, and bought a Standard HR117 Horn Relay...

I mounted the relay on the "neck" of the frame directly above the horn bracket after painting the relay and all associated parts black to match the frame.  The relay is mounted downward so as not to allow water to collect in the electrical components.

Next, using the bracket supplied in the FIAMM Freeway Blaster horn, I attached one end of it to teh OEM bracket, and then angled it back inward toward the front of the engine and tucked it under the gas tank as much as possible.  With the horn mounted it doesn't protrude as much and isn't quite as noticeable.

I also painted the entire horn black, as the rear side was plain metal so it would blend in better with the bike.

The addition of the relay made all the difference in the world with regard to sound quality of the horn.  Before it sounded anemic, but afterward, it is much more robust.

I used 14 gauge wiring coming off the relay and into the horn as well.  I'll try to snap a few pics of it maybe later on today and post up here showing the installation/mounting.

It's nice to sound like a Buick as opposed to a scooter!!! Cheesy

IP Logged
savage455
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/03/06 at 17:31:58

i put two truck air horns on my savage along the down tube(facing donw)... i put the small aircompressor where the old horn was and didn't have to add a relay or do any larger gauge wiring - they are soo loud sometimes they startle me and i triggered them lol

IP Logged
Capt._Capsize
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/04/06 at 19:52:24

Youse guys that aren't using relays and heavier wire are not getting full output from your after market horns and are running the risk of wrecking your horn button switch.  That will be a pricey repair.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 21:35:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Horn removal - Need advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.