Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Went and looked at a used Savage today (Read 6 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Went and looked at a used Savage today
Reply #30 - 03/01/06 at 17:45:33

$2400!   You did good.

*ALL* motorcycles have more gumption than a newbie should be on in the first place.  I popped a wheelie on my Honda 50 with my sister on the back -- when the front wheel touched back down I had no passenger.

Your major danger point is three-six months from the start of riding.  That's when you begin to be confident and start pushing the limits.  The limits do not push back, they slap.

Defensive riding is very similar to defensive driving -- keep your 2 second clear forward space, sharp attention four seconds forward, scan as far as you can see for developing situations.   Keep an eye to the rear.  Check every intersection for those ignoring traffic controls.  Trust no one.  If you've been driving a cage accident free you got most of it down already -- the only new thing with a motorcycle is (1) some people will not see you and (2) if you have a collision you will get hurt to some, hopefully small, extent.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #31 - 03/01/06 at 19:13:53

Sounds good - after the msf course - ride it every day, just short trips, even a couple miles.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #32 - 03/02/06 at 07:08:20

Good price!  Be careful!

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #33 - 03/02/06 at 07:36:11

IMHO - After your MSF class, follow their instructions (at least what I was told in class): get the Savage out onto a safe flat area with nothing to run into or over and practice - start right back at the beginning with rocking the MC. It will handle different than the MC's in the class. Slowly acclimate yourself to riding on the street and in traffic.

I suggest that you get some miles under your belt (>1000) before you start modifying (otherwise you may end up doing things over - which is OK if that's what you like). My modification after about 6K miles and the weather turning colder was to get another MC. I still ride my Savage, but only when the weather is warm and I'm not going far.

Have fun and keep the rubber side down. Don't get complacent that's how the shiny side gets down. I recently set my Concours down on it's side (first time) because I forgot to check if the side stand was down. No damage, but a real reminder to pay attention.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #34 - 03/02/06 at 10:28:53

I'd agree with the above, though I'd recommend the basic seat mod before getting too many miles under your @ss as those miles will be easier on your nads if you do.  It may fart enough that you'll decide to at least play with the idle mixture screw.  However, that can be done without taking anything apart.  In fact, it's one of the few things you can do without removing the seat and tank.  Congratulations and keep the rubber side down!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #35 - 03/02/06 at 11:01:11

Congratulations on your new ride. That's a good price. The bikes run decent in stock form if you can stand the popping on deacceleration. You should be in no hurry to do some mods.

Ride easy at first - around a parking lot or around your neighborhood. Gradually work up to longer rides. Ride safe and very defensively. Watch the cars on the road very carefully and keep your distance. Be especially careful when approaching intersections. I usually "cover" my front brake when approaching intersections with any cars around.

And most important - enjoy your new bike  Smiley

IP Logged
magicfairy
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 03/02/06 at 11:15:26

tjhart wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I do best with 2 tools:The yellowpages and my checkbook.

LOL - must remember that one.  Says it all.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #37 - 03/02/06 at 11:29:40

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
 It may fart enough that you'll decide to at least play with the idle mixture screw.  However, that can be done without taking anything apart.  In fact, it's one of the few things you can do without removing the seat and tank.  

+1 to what Savage_Rob said.

I don't consider adjustments to be modifications. I among others have been able to reduce the backfire to almost zero by just adjusting the bike "correctly." Some people probably consider rejetting the carb to also be tuning rather than modification. It wasn't necessary to remove the objectionable backfire for me.

IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 03/02/06 at 14:00:29

Congratulations. You got a GREAT deal. Seriously. And welcome to the club. Speaking as a newbie, I say pay attention to everything the veterans here say about riding and trusting no one and pretending to be invisible at all times, because it's all true.  Don't feel you have to drive fast; enjoy cruising at a moderate pace. It still feels a lot faster than the same 30 mph in a car. Practice in the safest and least threatening environments. Work on control. You want to be able to manage braking, shift, turning and accelerating without thinking, because you want to be constantly scanning the road for problems. Again, good luck, have fun and ride safe.

p.s. the vets are also absolutely correct that you have plenty of time for the mods, though I will say that the simple seat mod, which I did this winter, really did improve ridability with my stock Savage seat.

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 03/03/06 at 21:38:13

I read somewhere that a high percentage of car/bike collisions are the car turning left in front of a motorcycle. I flip my light dim-bright a few times when I have a car that could turn in front of me. Watch out for rocks and /or gravel in the road, they can be tricky in a turn.
I always wear a fullface helmet and a bike jacket with skid protection, and leather gloves.

IP Logged
tjhart
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 03/03/06 at 22:02:46

Quote:
I read somewhere that a high percentage of car/bike collisions are the car turning left in front of a motorcycle.

If I understand correctly, that's from the famous Hurt report. Pretty serious stuff.

My comment about newbie accidents probably wasn't correct. I'm just spouting off stuff I've read elsewhere - and I've been reading everything I could get my hands on. Maybe I should have said "a lot of newbies wipe out 'cause they had more bike than they knew how to handle".

I like the idea of flicking on your high beams to grab the attention of oncoming left-turners. And don't worry 'bout the gear. I'ts not the most stylish black leather yet, but I've picked out my helmet, jacket, pants, boots & gloves. Just waiting to pass the class before I buy 'em.

tim

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 15:22:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Went and looked at a used Savage today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.