Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Went and looked at a used Savage today (Read 6 times)
tjhart
Ex Member

Went and looked at a used Savage today
02/24/06 at 19:12:27

The MSF BRC is a week away. The last thing I want is to leave the class and not have my own machine to practice on...  Grin

So I looked at this Savage for sale not too far away. It's a 2002 with just under 3,000 miles. It's never been dropped. No signs of any oil leaks on the engine. There isn't even any blue OR gold on the exhaust. A windshield and saddlebags come with it.

It wouldn't start, though. The owner had it on a trickle charger, and offered for me to return next week when the battery is charged.

I forgot to take a look at the oil. Not sure if I could tell much, other than to be wary if there wasn't any - or if it was as thick as tar...

The kicker is that he wants $3,000 for it. I didn't make an offer, since I'm going back when he gets it running.

So if I can talk him down on price next week, I may have a bike ready to ride when I get back from MSF.  Wink

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Went and looked at a used Savage today
Reply #1 - 02/24/06 at 19:31:28

tjhart wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
....So I looked at this Savage for sale not too far away. It's a 2002 with just under 3,000 miles. It's never been dropped....
It wouldn't start....

3K miles on an '02 -- that's less than 100 miles a month.  Poor baby has spent most of it's life neglected in a garage -- probably without stablizer in the gas.  Just needs a little cleaning and/or a good long run.  Even at $3K it is not a bad deal.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 02/24/06 at 20:57:45

I think they had fixed the plug problem in the 2002's... and I don't think you usually see the plug leak until somewhere between 4k and 7k miles anyway.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 02/25/06 at 05:15:06

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I think they had fixed the plug problem in the 2002's... and I don't think you usually see the plug leak until somewhere between 4k and 7k miles anyway.

The plugleak was'tn fixed. The partnumber changed and the plug was improved.
If the Suzuki factory mechanics installed the plug as per manual it still isn't sealed and will leak some time in the future.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 02/25/06 at 06:00:11

Chances are it is the original battery, had to replace the one on my '02 six months ago. The bike should have the new style plug in it, '02 was the first year it was advailable. What color is it, black or silver were the only two colors offered (I think). $3,000 with bags and a windshield isn't a bad price if the bike is in real good condition. Good luck on it and on the MSF

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 02/25/06 at 07:29:01

In my opinion - WAY HIGH PRICE. $2200-2500  is what You should pay. The bike in mint condition is worthed up to $2700. Even if it is 2002 or 2003- so what. It is still a Savage -  exactly the  same like 1996. New battery and a carb. clean and the bike will be Yours to ride and to start putting money into it. I personaly preffer  to buy  '96 or '98 cheap , put $150-200 into it and have excellent runningg bike for $1100-1300. If I want it looking great, I'd polish all the Al. parts in one afternoon and I can pay a professional to paint it custom up to $ 2-300. I'd reupholster the seat and I'll have not only a looker, but also a runner.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/25/06 at 07:40:21

I bought my 2001 with 1800 miles for $2000.00. It came with windshield, saddlebags, highway bar, gel grips, and every chrome piece you can buy for a Savage. I have spent about $800.00 now on mods. I would not take $3000.00 for mine. If the bike runs good and you can deal with the seller a little, buy it!

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #7 - 02/25/06 at 08:50:15

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I can pay a professional to paint it custom up to $ 2-300. .
custom paint for $300! sign me up! it cost me $300 to do it my self,and that was a solid color! my friend who is a custom car painter said he'd do it for $650 and would add flake for free.

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/25/06 at 10:50:42

I took off the 5 painted pieces and carried them to the paint shop. I got Viper red with clear coat for $180.00 cash.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #9 - 02/25/06 at 11:35:43

If there is somebody in Az Who wants paint- I have 2 guys who will do it. If anybody is interested- I'll pass the info/ I don't play middle man/. So far I don't pay anything, but they owe me a lot of favors. Anyway- depending on the paint , it shouldn't go over $300 /unless some exeptional paint/. The trick is, they have a lot of paints- leftovers from previos jobs.
So I am not feeding You some BS.

IP Logged
tjhart
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/25/06 at 12:45:58

Oh I'll definitely deal with him. He has every right to ask as much as he wants for his bike. I take no offense.

By the same token, I have every right to offer whatever I'm willing to pay.

Based on Kelly Blue Book (which dictates how much it can be insured for),  and recent e-bay sales for bikes in the same condition, I think $2200 - $2500 is the range I'd be willing to pay.

Quote:
I personally prefer  to buy  '96 or '98 cheap , put $150-200 into it and have excellent runningg bike for $1100-1300

While paying for an older one and fixing it up sounds nice to my pocket book, I really do suck when it comes to turning a wrench. Every project I've ever started that requires tools has gone sour, and cost me lots of money and aggravation. I do best with 2 tools:The yellowpages and my checkbook. At least I know my limits.  Wink

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #11 - 02/25/06 at 16:16:14

That's what I'm talking about. Get it for $2200-2500 and be happy ! If the guy doesn't want, let him wait till april or may, let him put am add- $ 50 let him deal with 5-10 tire-kickers and let him get $200 more.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #12 - 02/25/06 at 16:39:22

o ok when u said custom paint i thought u meant multi colors,with an airbrushed skull or two,yeah u can get a solid color for 400 easily.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #13 - 02/25/06 at 21:51:55

I mean couple of colors. I personaly prefer marbleized deep purple. This is what i got on a different bike that is for sale. It doesn't make much sense to me to put too much effords in the paint if I am riding my bike every day and beat the livigh hell out of it. On top of this I use mine like a loaner bike sometimes.

IP Logged
tjhart
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/27/06 at 15:38:26

Let the negotiations begin...  Grin

When I called the owner today, he said the motorcycle still wouldn't start. It spent all weekend on a trickle charger. He wasn't sure if it was the battery. He suggested that he might have had the trickle charger hooked up 'wrong'.

I can just see my offer price dropping by the day.

"Well, sir, it is in great shape cosmetically, but it won't run. I may have to buy a battery($40). You admit that it wasn't winterized, so we're looking at a carb cleaning by a certified mechanic ($100). You also mentioned that it hasn't been serviced in a while. It's going to need an oil & filter change ($20)."

"Since it isn't running, I'll need to rent a truck/trailer in order to haul it to my place. ($80)"

"I'm kind of disappointed. With an advertised price of $3k, I was hoping for something that I could drive off your property. All this extra work is a bit aggravating($200). Besides, Kelly Blue Book has this thing valued at only $2700 if mint from a dealer. Of course that would be running condition. Trade-in value is $1800"

Unless he finds another buyer, or feels he can get it running on his own, I figure I've got a much better chance to get this bike for something closer to $2k or under than $3k.

Now I may or may not have the mechanic do all the work. Frankly, since I'll just be coming from MSF, and since I haven't done ANY wrenching or diagnostic work on a bike, I'm sorely tempted to let a mechanic get it running this time. I'll ride it and get the permanent grin on my face, then deal with wrenching so I can keep it there.

Yeehaawww!!!!!  8)

Tim

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 15:27:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Went and looked at a used Savage today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.